Caribou Gear Tarp

Africa 2022

Looks like a great time. A trip to Africa to hunt is at the top of my list, almost went a couple years ago but didn’t work out. Gemsbok and zebra are high on my list, followed by whatever else I can swing. Sooner than later I hope. Glad you had a good trip.

Catherine and I just returned from 3 weeks in Africa. Spent 12 days hunting 8 days touring. A life time of dreaming culminated in a spontaneous plan that couldn't have been more successful.
I will be refining a report I hope others will consider when making their plans. In the short term I'll touch on highlights.
I wanted free range, thatch roofs and unfettered access to more ground than could be covered, I got that and more with CRUSADER SAFARIS and their three distinctive camps spread from near Durban to Port Elizabeth.
We spent five days in the 100,000 acre Umkomaas camp looking for a Southern greater Kudu, Bushbuck and a Nyala. Between my guide and I we rejected about 20 mature kudu bulls looking for a monster we had seen at last light day one. He's still there. I shot a real solid Nyala and Zebra on day 2. Passed on several other animals, shot an unplanned Nyala after my guide described the second one as a once in a life time bull, day 3, I missed a bushbuck at 350 yards.
Day four ended with no more shooting but not do to lack of animals.
Dinner that night came with the report of a giant Eland eluding several PHs at the Stormberg Ranch. We left early for the 7 hour drive, found the herd after lunch and had them elude us. Found them again the next morning.
More to follow
Crusader Safaris are good people and I am glad it turned out so well for you and Catherine. Congratulations on the VERY successful hunt. I apologize if you have already answered this, but was curious if you "found" and "took" the 300 H & H ? Have a safe trip home.

Randi : The "Kalahari" stretches into S.Africa and Botswana, it is not just in Namibia

Crusader Safaris are good people and I am glad it turned out so well for you and Catherine. Congratulations on the VERY successful hunt. I apologize if you have already answered this, but was curious if you "found" and "took" the 300 H & H ? Have a safe trip home.

Randi : The "Kalahari" stretches into S.Africa and Botswana, it is not just in Namibia
Did not come up with the 300. Ended up borrowing a 300 from my host do to the logistics touring before and after the hunt.

Page 4; of borrowed rifles trials and tribulations.
Shortly before my trip I was advised I was running a real risk and potentially complicating my life touring for so long after the hunt and packing a rifle around. My host offered his hill country rifle in 300 WM/Swarovski 6-18.
Very accurate combination, he is 605 I'm 508 so fit was a little off. Eye relief not perfect and I never used more than 10x. Killed 10 animals. Two shot twice, wildebeest shot 4 times.
I had three duds One was Mr, Big Southern Greater kudu. Very last moments of light at 500 yards. He stopped in the open briefly, the cross hairs settled, nothing but click. I cycled the bolt quickly but he had already moved. Second dud was on my Bushbuck, nothing but click, cycle the bolt got back on the sticks, he's still there, bang flop. Third occurrence was my Wildebeest shot three was a dude. Shot that guy four times.
I was shooting factory ammo from South Africa. Andrew is going to buy all his ammo from Hornady in the future.
Stuff happens but I've done a lot of hunting, never had a dud.

Attachments

• B29DDE6C-A7C7-4931-B460-FB16522F4A8B.jpeg
    B29DDE6C-A7C7-4931-B460-FB16522F4A8B.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 38
For those that a trip to Africa is affordable and reasonable I say go for it. I/we traveled to RSA 2009, 2011 and 2015. I took 18 plains game animals during our three trips. My grandson accompanied us in 2015 and took an impala. If it were not for the two trips we have planned for 2022 and 2023 I would return. The only two animals that my bucket list does not include are a sable and a bongo.
Many desire the dangerous game critters which is truly exciting. My list was and always has been for horned animals. We were adamant that all back skins accompany the dipped and packed heads and horns. These became small rugs, couch pillows and more.
There is no doubt that I want to return to the “ Dark Continent”. But, there is only so much time for an old man to accomplish all. MTG

Attachments

• E88014C5-D954-4B0C-9482-E756533DA0EC.jpeg
    E88014C5-D954-4B0C-9482-E756533DA0EC.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 969BF93D-3694-441E-9F85-FD5F562FA843.png
    969BF93D-3694-441E-9F85-FD5F562FA843.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 42
  • B93CD525-38F2-4AAD-8E62-4F062D18BD65.jpeg
    B93CD525-38F2-4AAD-8E62-4F062D18BD65.jpeg
    749.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 29B0AEE2-1F61-48C4-8A6A-9D840B59154D.jpeg
    29B0AEE2-1F61-48C4-8A6A-9D840B59154D.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 41
Page 4; of borrowed rifles trials and tribulations.
Shortly before my trip I was advised I was running a real risk and potentially complicating my life touring for so long after the hunt and packing a rifle around. My host offered his hill country rifle in 300 WM/Swarovski 6-18.
Very accurate combination, he is 605 I'm 508 so fit was a little off. Eye relief not perfect and I never used more than 10x. Killed 10 animals. Two shot twice, wildebeest shot 4 times.
I had three duds One was Mr, Big Southern Greater kudu. Very last moments of light at 500 yards. He stopped in the open briefly, the cross hairs settled, nothing but click. I cycled the bolt quickly but he had already moved. Second dud was on my Bushbuck, nothing but click, cycle the bolt got back on the sticks, he's still there, bang flop. Third occurrence was my Wildebeest shot three was a dude. Shot that guy four times.
I was shooting factory ammo from South Africa. Andrew is going to buy all his ammo from Hornady in the future.
Stuff happens but I've done a lot of hunting, never had a dud.
I'm guessing it's a problem with the rifle, not the ammo. Possibly a bad striker spring or dirty firing pin port. I had a similar problem with my Springfield. Also a couple of duds on the first trip to Africa. Cleaned the striker channel which was badly carboned and that fixed it. Were the primers dented? Primers on my duds weren't which kinda told the tale.

For those that a trip to Africa is affordable and reasonable I say go for it. I/we traveled to RSA 2009, 2011 and 2015. I took 18 plains game animals during our three trips. My grandson accompanied us in 2015 and took an impala. If it were not for the two trips we have planned for 2022 and 2023 I would return. The only two animals that my bucket list does not include are a sable and a bongo.
Many desire the dangerous game critters which is truly exciting. My list was and always has been for horned animals. We were adamant that all back skins accompany the dipped and packed heads and horns. These became small rugs, couch pillows and more.
There is no doubt that I want to return to the “ Dark Continent”. But, there is only so much time for an old man to accomplish all. MTG
Great photos, I had only planned for the the spirals, Catherine kept quoting " A man needs to know his limitations"

I'm guessing it's a problem with the rifle, not the ammo. Possibly a bad striker spring or dirty firing pin port. I had a similar problem with my Springfield. Also a couple of duds on the first trip to Africa. Cleaned the striker channel which was badly carboned and that fixed it. Were the primers dented? Primers on my duds weren't which kinda told the tale.
Yes, primers dented. The hell of it was, I had such a great adventure going I really didn't care. Shrugged it off, knew I wasn't jerking the trigger, bragged about my failure to feed training and went about our day👍

Yes, primers dented. The hell of it was, I had such a great adventure going I really didn't care. Shrugged it off, knew I wasn't jerking the trigger, bragged about my failure to feed training and went about our day👍
Yeah, you can't sweat the little stuff when on an adventure like that. After the mountain of obstacles getting my Springfield 30-06 rebarreled and export paperwork processed (five months for paperwork and rebarrel not completed till three days before leaving), I wound up hitting my first animal, a harteest, three times. Terrible! I once shot a bull elk three times but never a deer size animal. Actually, I can't remember shooting one more than once (last count more than sixty deer killed). And two other shots at that hartbeest missed! Off the sticks? Come on! Something is wrong and it's not me. Back at the range that afternoon the Springfield was all over the paper. My PH had an extra 06 so I put mine back in the case and used his. Very embarrassing and frustrating but just gotta move on. Can't be messing up any more animals with a faulty gun. Still, it bugged me so badly I couldn't sleep. At three in the morning I pulled the Springfield back out and looked it over thoroughly. Turns out the action was loose in the rebarrel bedding that hadn't cured thoroghly and shrank. Put it away, went back to bed, and slept like a baby knowing the problem wasn't me.

So you were shooting a strange gun left-handed? I think you can be forgiven for having a little trouble with that. 😉

There is no adventure to compare with hunting the “Dark Continent”. You plan your next trip during your first. It is difficult to get Africa out of ones blood. MTG
Already doing the math.

The sounds, sights, food, animals, people--in a word "unforgettable"

Our favorite time of year was May, June and July. Victoria Falls is amazing in May, a quick plane trip to Sossusviel Dunes and then we would drive up to the Caprivi strip and take a river boat to Okavango Delta, which is amazing. The animals on/in the Delta will boggle your mind, as will the "Great Migration". The equator countries on the Atlantic side offer still another look at different animals, people, customs .

With the cost of of hunting Sheep in Canada and Mexico, bear on Kodiak and Nunavut, as well as the cost of some moose and caribou hunts, Africa and 10-15 plains game animals looks better every day

HappyMyles, Buffbyr, M.T. Gomer, Salmonchaser and others here are better at explaining "why Africa". But I have always said, I am sure some of you gentlemen have seen a woman that caught your eye and you could not look away. She was just a woman, like all other women in the world, but yet, for one reason or another, her beauty was different" Thats Africa.

Or as Karen quoted so may years ago, but it is still true today. " There is something about Safari Life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk a half bottle of Champagne. Bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive".
Well done ! One of the many reasons Catherine loves you. BTW, there are some dogs waiting for you to get home. (-:

Congrats on a truly fantastic adventure. Thanks for sharing. One day, I hope...

npaden, the tour of Kruger is amazing. Albeit, you will see many animals that may indeed ad to your want list. I had never seen a Waterbuck prior to our visit to Kruger. Upon seeing this magnificent animal I had to have one. If you get a chance to spend the evening in the Olifants (sp) village please do so. We had evening dinner overlooking the Olifants river viewing the many animals and the breath taking scenery. Something that will dwell in my memory. We went on a night tour and saw a large pride of lions with the “King” actually laying in the road before us. He did not stir, we had to go around. Amazing! We came across an old Daga Boy whose horns were deteriorated to the point of near no length to speak of. His hide coated with mud to deter the biting insects. We came across a young bull elephant that was in musth (sp), rut if you please. He approached us with his ears at ninety degrees to his head warning us off. I took this last picture at approx. 20 yards and off we scooted to avoid a particularly difficult situation. We had this photo enlarged and put on canvas to hang in our trophy room.
Yes, if the planets align and my health holds I will return. The “Dark Continent” beckons. MTG

Attachments

• 79B5BFDF-84AB-4EFE-B24D-C6F6BED21DFD.jpeg
    79B5BFDF-84AB-4EFE-B24D-C6F6BED21DFD.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 24
Congratulations @Salmonchaser! There is a certain indescribable mystique to Africa. I've hunted in South Africa and Zimbabwe and would love to go back again. One of my favorite mornings in Africa was coming across a pack of African Wild dogs and being on the ground with them just a few feet away. These are not feral dogs, but another species of African predator and one of the most successful hunters in Africa.DSC_2212-1-01.jpeg

The sounds, sights, food, animals, people--in a word "unforgettable"

Our favorite time of year was May, June and July. Victoria Falls is amazing in May, a quick plane trip to Sossusviel Dunes and then we would drive up to the Caprivi strip and take a river boat to Okavango Delta, which is amazing. The animals on/in the Delta will boggle your mind, as will the "Great Migration". The equator countries on the Atlantic side offer still another look at different animals, people, customs .

With the cost of of hunting Sheep in Canada and Mexico, bear on Kodiak and Nunavut, as well as the cost of some moose and caribou hunts, Africa and 10-15 plains game animals looks better every day

HappyMyles, Buffbyr, M.T. Gomer, Salmonchaser and others here are better at explaining "why Africa". But I have always said, I am sure some of you gentlemen have seen a woman that caught your eye and you could not look away. She was just a woman, like all other women in the world, but yet, for one reason or another, her beauty was different" Thats Africa.

Or as Karen quoted so may years ago, but it is still true today. " There is something about Safari Life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk a half bottle of Champagne. Bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive".

Well done ! One of the many reasons Catherine loves you. BTW, there are some dogs waiting for you to get home. (-:
We are home, "the girls went crazy". Granddaughter left a note that she walked the dogs every day and she maybe fed them extra. Now I have chubby shorthairs.

An African Wild Dog story.
Many years ago i was hunting elephant on the Caprivi Strip with the late Volker Grellmann. So long ago the road was gravel and narrow running the length of the strip. Now it is a paved highway with 18 wheelers speeding and ignoring signs cautioning to watch for elephant.
the local chief insisted we take an ancient old man with us as advisor. We were seeing lots of elephant but having no luck spotting a special big tusked one. One morning, barely light enough to see, a Wild Dog made a strange barking in the distance. The old man shook his head and snorted we should go back to camp.because when a Wild Dog makes that cry at dawn we would not see an elephant that day. The two trackers smirked and hunted their hearts out all day. It was the only day in three weeks we did not see an elephant.

Last edited:
Another African tale about Mzee {respected old man)
We were in great elephant country but after many days were having a tough time finding, “the big one”. The crew was getting discouraged. One night they came to us in a group and wanted us to go see the wizard living in a small hut in a nearby village. My PH indicated he did not believe in magic but a visit would give the men renewed confidence and enthusiasm to hunt hard and be watchful. So at dawn off we went to see the wizard. All the villagers gathered round his hut to watch. He did not disappoint and put on an award winning performance. He drew a circle in the dirt and with great gestures placed an axe in the center. then placing a foot on the ax head he thumped the handle up and down crying out, waving his hands and shouting in an unknown tongue. His visions instructions were interpreted we should go to a certain place where we would see three decent bulls but cautioned not to shoot them but then after which we were to go to another specific place where we would find the right bull And kill it. After this it was not clear but we would see a leopard and something strange would happed but he did not know what it was. He would not take money because in that area they had no use for it in those days. All i had i did not need was a pair of Longs Drugstore cheap eye glasses . These he proudly wore because no one else in a 100 miles had eye glasses. Never mind he could not see through them. I have a hunch the specs were used in all future productions.
We followed his instructions and his visions all came to pass and I took a great 80 pounder. However, afterward government agents asked us to take care of a problem leopard. While taking care of the cat I got mauled.. while waiting for a small emergency plane on a hastily cleared area I mentioned to the crew what a wise old man the wizard was. They looked at me in horror and stated, “ he was a crazy old fool but could read the future!’ I love Africa

Last edited:
We are home, "the girls went crazy". Granddaughter left a note that she walked the dogs every day and she maybe fed them extra. Now I have chubby shorthairs.
The great news for Catherine when you left, a wonderful, fun and successful trip, and the girls were excited to see you when you got home. :love:

Congratulations again !!!!

and the other members who have shared their experiences in Africa with us is an additional plus. I kept waiting to hear "The lion sleeps tonight" when I was reading them :) I am going to pm April and ask her to tell us her hippo story, hilarious.

welcome home

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back