Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Aerial Sheep Survey Crash

jabber

News Release
Media Contact: TPWD Press Office, 512-389-8030, [email protected]
Aug. 9, 2020

Three Texas Parks and Wildlife Employees Perish in Helicopter Crash During Bighorn Sheep Survey

AUSTIN— While conducting aerial surveys for desert bighorn sheep in West Texas on Saturday, Aug. 8, three Texas Parks and Wildlife Department employees died in a helicopter crash on TPWD’s Black Gap Wildlife Management Area in Brewster County. The victims include Wildlife Biologist Dewey Stockbridge, Fish and Wildlife Technician Brandon White; and State Wildlife Veterinarian Dr. Bob Dittmar. The pilot, a private contractor, survived the crash and was transported to El Paso for further treatment.

“No words can begin to express the depth of sadness we feel for the loss of our colleagues in this tragic accident,” said Carter Smith, TPWD Executive Director. “These men were consummate professionals, deeply liked and highly regarded by their peers and partners alike for the immense passion, dedication, and expertise they brought to their important work in wildlife management and veterinary medicine. Wildlife conservation in Texas lost three of its finest as they so honorably and dutifully carried out their calling to help survey, monitor and protect the bighorns of their beloved west Texas mountains. We will miss Dewey, Brandon, and Dr. Bob deeply and dearly. All of us at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department send our deepest condolences and sympathies to the Stockbridge, White, and Dittmar families in the wake of this devastating tragedy and continue to pray for the health and recovery of the pilot.”

The Texas Department of Public Safety, the Federal Aviation Administration and the Texas Game Wardens are currently investigating the incident. Further details will be shared with the public as they become available.

Sad news, praying for the families. In my opinion it is the most dangerous and the most exciting part of the job. I had two close calls while flying sheep survey and capture during my career with Arizona and lost several coworkers and friends. Hate to hear it.

Last edited:
Extremely sad news I’ll be praying for them and their families

I hate reading this, so terrible. I flew a few times in one of my previous work locations but stopped when I moved to my current one. There is just no way I can justify the risk.

I've spent a fair bit of time in helicopters for work, never really did feel 100% safe. Had an electrical fire in one while I was on board in 1994...not a pleasant experience, but turned out fine.

A person just shouldn't die on the job...ever.

It happens and its sad and unfortunate when it does.

During my career I have had five coworkers (along with a pilot I did not know) die in plane crashes while doing wildlife related work.

One, a good friend, was in a coma for 22 years after the crash before passing on. RIP Len.

ClearCreek

Godspeed to all involve and heartfelt Blessings to their family, friends and coworkers.

Man, that is awful. I feel terrible for their families. I’ve only been in a helicopter once, but I couldn’t get over how much it felt like flying in a toy.

I have been on a helicopter once in my life. Never felt safe and motion sickness was bad.

I hate when good people doing their job die when doing their job. Sucks.

It's a sad deal. I got to meet and work alongside Dr. Bob Dittmar a few years ago on a pronghorn capture and translocation event on the Rita Blanca Grasslands.

I could tell he was a huge asset to wildlife management based on his knowledge and willingness to teach the up and coming generation of wildlife biologists. I am sure this is a massive blow to the TPWD family and the bighorn program.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back