Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Advice on spring bear in Cabinet Mountains Wilderness

Titan_Bow

I'm looking at doing a week long DIY trip into the Cabinet mountains for spring bear. I'm an experienced backcountry/backpack hunter, but I am a total novice when it comes to bear hunting. I have been reading quite a bit about generically what types of areas to look for. It looks on paper anyways, that this area has pretty decent numbers and densities of bears. Just wondering, are there any resources out there specific to distributions, densities, etc. across the wilderness? Anyone know if one region of the wilderness would be more productive? (ie. northern section versus central versus southern for example) What I am doing right now is finding basins in Google earth that are farthest from marked trails, and highlighting the ones that have visible south facing chutes and openings. Anyone willing to share, not specific locations, but maybe screenshots of what types of areas you would be looking for?

You have a solid game plan. That is really rugged country so don't stress out about getting miles away from marked trails unless you are spike camping overnight. Pick a couple areas and check them out. If you are finding fresh bear sign check it out multiple evenings.

We took the exact same approach in 2014 and had a fantastic hunt. Gerald is a wizard in the general area, so when he says "you have a solid game plan", you have a solid game plan.

Don't overlook some of the surrounding non-wilderness areas north of Libby, they are every bit as wild as the Cabinets themselves with some fantastic hunting. The Yaak is AWESOME!!!

PM for more detailed info.

I think the snowpack will be lingering long in the Cabinets this spring so be prepared. The trick in the Cabinets for spot-and-stalk is getting to a point where you can see to glass. Lots of great habitat but it is thickly forested.

I look up at the cabinets from my living room window.We got pounded with snow this year like we have not seen in DECADES. Spring bear is going to be tough! Good luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back