Caribou Gear Tarp

Advice for a newbie

Can anybody help me out? I am a new elk hunter and could use some advice on what type of terrain to look for when I scout my area. I am going to be hunting the 1st rifle season in southern colorado. There have been a couple of fires in the area both this summer and last and I have heard that they are a good place to look. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

look in the mountains....;) glad I could help!....if you look in the elk forum there should be some threads on this already...I know I've seen a few

#1 First season is usually pretty hot, so go high. North facing slopes, dark timber.

#2 This years fires will still be blackened. Look for new growth areas resulting from last years fires.

A-Con---I wouldn't be so sure of your #2 statement. I've seen new growth within 6 weeks after fires in Wyoming before and the deer and elk were really in there dining on the fresh green coming up. All it takes is a little rain to get things going and in six or 8 weeks it's green.

Get elknuts dvd on scouting elk country.It is very good and will get you started in the right direction

Never hunted a burn but heard they can be pretty good when they are fresh and green, I wouldn't go past it with out taking a look. Those big white rumps should stick out like a soar thumb.

Last year (my 1st year hunting elk) they were. They weren't really coming to the calls(maybe just me) but they would sure answer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back