Adult onset hunter here

Deckerp

Hello all! Looks like a lot of knowledge on here that I hope to gain and hopefully give back eventually too. I am a Colorado native who grew up in the woods but didn’t have any exposure to hunting until I decided to take the hunters safety class with a friend about 5 years ago now. And since then I have been getting more motivated And finding a new love for the outdoors year after year. I have been self taught and with the exception of a few waterfawl hunts I haven’t hunted with an experienced hunter. I have gone out for elk three years now with no success (different units each year) hoping this fall I will finally earn that one! In fact I just harvested my first wild game animal this spring. After lots of tries I got a mountain merrium gobbler on front range public land - which felt really great. Tasted great too. Now I am doing as much prep as I can for 1st rifle elk this fall. With a young family it can be hard to get time to go scout so I am hoping to gain some intel here.

Best,
Patrick

Welcome.

To find mentors, seek out events of conservation non-profit groups near you. My favorites are BackCountry Hunters and Anglers and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
BHA regularly has Pint Night events which can introduce your to the crowd for the cost of a beer or two before you decide if that is your gig or not.

Good Luck!

Hello all! Looks like a lot of knowledge on here that I hope to gain and hopefully give back eventually too. I am a Colorado native who grew up in the woods but didn’t have any exposure to hunting until I decided to take the hunters safety class with a friend about 5 years ago now. And since then I have been getting more motivated And finding a new love for the outdoors year after year. I have been self taught and with the exception of a few waterfawl hunts I haven’t hunted with an experienced hunter. I have gone out for elk three years now with no success (different units each year) hoping this fall I will finally earn that one! In fact I just harvested my first wild game animal this spring. After lots of tries I got a mountain merrium gobbler on front range public land - which felt really great. Tasted great too. Now I am doing as much prep as I can for 1st rifle elk this fall. With a young family it can be hard to get time to go scout so I am hoping to gain some intel here.

Best,
Patrick

Nice work on the turkey! A lesson I learned as a kid was work hard to find a solid place that most aren’t willing to hike to or pack out from, work hard to stick to scouting it all year, work hard to learn every nook and cranny, work hard to get up early and be out late... long story short... work hard. If everyone says it’s too deep, dark, steep, or far that’s what you’re looking for. Good luck!

Nice work on the turkey! A lesson I learned as a kid was work hard to find a solid place that most aren’t willing to hike to or pack out from, work hard to stick to scouting it all year, work hard to learn every nook and cranny, work hard to get up early and be out late... long story short... work hard. If everyone says it’s too deep, dark, steep, or far that’s what you’re looking for. Good luck!
That’s exactly what the turkey took. Finding that spot that was a pain to get to - especially before sunrise!

Back