Accuracy question

danwolf

Okay I have a older Sako 75 .308, 1/11 twist. Shooting 165 grain hornady SST's I'm getting sub moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards and have been happy with that, but at 200 yards I'm all over the place. I'm shooting on sand bags and on a real flimsy wood bench at the range. I'm thinking trying some heavier rounds like 178 grain ELD's or another brand next. Any ideas how I can tighten that up?

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 22.56.55.png

It's likely technique...cheek weld, trigger control, etc. New ammo isn't going to fix that although more ammo and range time will help. Also a new bench might help too.

Agreed. I'm definitely going to shoot more and just shoot on the ground next go at the range.

Agreed. I'm definitely going to shoot more and just shoot on the ground next go at the range.
If it is sub-moa at 100, then it is probably you at 200. If anything, my groups are usually better at 200. Just make sure all of the basics are covered-tighten screws, etc. and then just concentrate on being consistent with your trigger, hold etc. It looks to me like the rifle is just fine. I don't know why you want to go to a heavier bullet. If you are going to hunt elk, then just go to a premium bullet and get rid of that SST crap. If you are hunting Texas deer, then the SST will do OK.

I hope that you already know this, but DO NOT rest the barrel on the sand bags! Also, as long as you are sorting out issues, make sure that the barrel is free-floated.

If it is sub-moa at 100, then it is probably you at 200. If anything, my groups are usually better at 200. Just make sure all of the basics are covered-tighten screws, etc. and then just concentrate on being consistent with your trigger, hold etc. It looks to me like the rifle is just fine. I don't know why you want to go to a heavier bullet. If you are going to hunt elk, then just go to a premium bullet and get rid of that SST crap. If you are hunting Texas deer, then the SST will do OK.

I hope that you already know this, but DO NOT rest the barrel on the sand bags! Also, as long as you are sorting out issues, make sure that the barrel is free-floated.

I'll look into premium rounds in same grain, just what is available at local stores is Hornady.

Yeah I don't rest the barrel on the bags haha. When I bought the rifle this summer I tore it apart and torqued it to Sako specs including the scope and checked if its free floating, which is fine.

I'll look into premium rounds in same grain, just what is available at local stores is Hornady.

Yeah I don't rest the barrel on the bags haha. When I bought the rifle this summer I tore it apart and torqued it to Sako specs including the scope and checked if its free floating, which is fine.
Good luck. If it was me, I would just buy the Hornady Interlock 165, or 150 (American Whitetail). They are nearly always accurate and you need nothing else, at .308 velocities. My .308 loves the 150 Interlocks and it hammers deer with authority.

I've seen a rifle group well at 100 only to open up at longer ranges. Bad barrel in that case. Try some Accubonds, or Hammers
Hammers have proven to shoot in finicky rifles. mtmuley

Before throwing money at a problem, I would try the free stuff. like shooting prone (fix or discard that bench), have somebody else shoot it at 200, and maybe run a box test at 100 yards and see how your rifle tracks.

Good luck. If it was me, I would just buy the Hornady Interlock 165, or 150 (American Whitetail). They are nearly always accurate and you need nothing else, at .308 velocities. My .308 loves the 150 Interlocks and it hammers deer with authority.

The only American Whitetail ammo I ever shot was in my 7-08. I've got shotguns that shoot tighter groups than that stuff did.

I was having the exact same problem with the new rifle I just bought. Turns out the problem was the guy pulling the trigger. My groups looked just like yours at 200. When I put more focus on making good clean relaxed shots It started grouping under MOA at 200.

I agree with paying attention to shooting form. Natural point of aim, stock cheek weld, trigger squeeze, and other consistencies go a long way at further distance

The only American Whitetail ammo I ever shot was in my 7-08. I've got shotguns that shoot tighter groups than that stuff did.

Sorry to hear that. I shoot all hand loads in my rifles-normally. I recently got a Winchester Model 70, .270, in a trade. It shoots AW ammo nearly into one hole. I have had several other people shoot it on my range, using other calibers, and they had sub-moa results, too.

From looking at your target you seem strung horizontally. My bet is shooting form. Most likely trigger control or cheek weld, or a combination of the 2.

Dry fire practice is money.

Last edited:
I’m only seeing about 1 MOA of elevation, the rest is windage, and mostly just the shot on the left. You’re dealing with wind drift more than inaccuracy. There are definitely more accurate bullets, but that’s not exactly horrendous for a hunting gun or load. I’m sure your Sako is capable of doing much better than that though. SST’s are not known for extreme accuracy.

While not known for exemplar accuracy, i can attest that the SST is "accurate enough".
And at 200 yards, the OP shouldn't be suffering from that much windage.
400-600 yards, that's another story.
200, needs to be gusting 50mph. Lol

As was mentioned, dry fire practice.
And with the 1:11 twist, i wouldn't go heavier in bullet weight.
Actually i'd recommend trying some 150gr.

Practice, practice, practice.
That group shown looks to be a classic left/ right movement.
Shoot at 300 and 400 if you have a place to do so.
You will find that after a couple days of longer shot shooting, the 200 will seem much easier.

While not known for exemplar accuracy, i can attest that the SST is "accurate enough".
And at 200 yards, the OP shouldn't be suffering from that much windage.
400-600 yards, that's another story.
200, needs to be gusting 50mph. Lol

As was mentioned, dry fire practice.
And with the 1:11 twist, i wouldn't go heavier in bullet weight.
Actually i'd recommend trying some 150gr.

In a 10 MPH wind at 200yds that bullet gets about 1.4 MOA of wind drift, or 2.8”. Add that to a 1 MOA group, and that’s 4.8”. Look at his group, it’s about 5” wide, and 2” tall. His gun is continuing to shoot 1 MOA at 200yds, and he’s experiencing about 1.4 MOA of wind drift variation. He doesn’t need to practice at increased distances, he needs to pay attention to the wind.

I shot 190 VLD’s from a 12” twist from 300yds to 1000yds. There’s absolutely no reason that an 11” twist won’t shoot a decent bullet weighing 165grs. He should be able to run up 180grs using high BC polymer tipped designs and even to 200gr+ from non-tipped or lower BC bullets. There are likely a few extreme bullet designs out there that would be exceptions. Lead free bullets would be exceptions too due to their lower density. Published twist recommendations are based on shoot at sea level and 60* F. Most elk hunting is done at much higher elevations.

If it was “classic left/right movement” from poor technique, it would show up at 100yds as well, unless he’s completely changing his shooting technique between 100yds and 200yds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back