A timely lament . . .

Around 125,000,000 people in this country age 35-64, and these are the only two clowns we can come up with.

125 million in that age demographic means we could basically try somebody new every single second of every day for one 4 year term.

View attachment 314379
The only clowns those who register as Republicans and Democrats continuously permit their Party to present as YOUR candidate.(Not you, specifically @brocksw )

We are at the divisive mercy of two financial machines some like to call political parties. 5 years ago I would've told you which representative of either I preferred, and why. I really no longer do.
I was hoping a third party and someone like Manchin could step up to at least be a serious option this year (i.e., give people a third choice, given the other two), but apparently not. After all this time as a nation it's amazing we still only have two major parties.

Around 125,000,000 people in this country age 35-64, and these are the only two clowns we can come up with.

125 million in that age demographic means we could basically try somebody new every single second of every day for one 4 year term.

View attachment 314379
There's an independent who seems to be picking up some steam. But neither sides of the msm won't say much about it since it doesn't sell well.

1. back in the mid-1990s the media was leaning left creating a space/[perceived need for balance, and Fox News was born. This allowed for the left leaning media to lean further and Fox to lean even further to balance, and over time the media has largely devolved into the informal information wings of each party no longer striving to be the check and balance of government as a whole, but just to fight the opposing side.

I think I heard mid last year that both CNN and Fox's ratings/viewership go up when they talk about Trump. Both sides have given him a lot of "free publicity" (advertising).

Who out of curiosity?
Saw a couple clips last night that rfk jr. Was leading in voters I wanna say between 18 and 35? Like I said just a clip that I caught. No idea if that's true or not. Personally I'd like to hear more of what he has to say. No one is ever going to align on everything. So far I like what I've read.

View attachment 314379
Still a head scratcher that folks will hoist a flag off their single wide to display ignorance.

There's an independent who seems to be picking up some steam. But neither sides of the msm won't say much about it since it doesn't sell well.
I am no expert on this and someone could easily make an argument as to why these ideas wouldn't work. But to me the money has to come out of campaign finance.

Repeal citizens united and set laws that bar campaign contributions above 1 unit of currency per citizen. No more million dollar donations to politicians from corporations or individuals. Everyone's campaign contributions can be no more than the value of their singular vote. Think a single voucher for every person of voting age in America, and they can give it to one candidate to support their campaign. Similar to this idea from Andrew Yang.

The only campaigning you can do are public debates and public interviews that are on PBS and C-span.

Overhaul primary elections so it's not the most extreme voters showing up to select the most extreme politicians.

I still don't get how it's T v. B
Simple, old white dudes only elect old white dudes.

There are solutions to our current political system mess, like rank-choice voting or evening to run-off elections if no candidate gets over 50% (might make people more willing to throw vote at a third-party candidate). Won't happen in any meaningful way because each side works to protect their self interest. The minority particularly doesn't want any changes because the system is set up to try to balance representation.

"AND WE JUST WANT IT FIXED"
I know this isn't your post Redmt, so nothing personal, but this is the biggest crock of horse manure... We all want what we want and don't care how it screws the other guy/gal. If we wanted anything "fixed" it would have been done a long time ago.

Last 24 years = Divided branches of government 12 years, full Repub control 8 yrs, full Dem control 4. Look at what you got when one party has control. Repubs give tax cuts, Dems gave healthcare and child care tax credits (neither ever paid for, but whatever). None of them addressed big problems like SS, Medicare/Medicaid, deficit, education, immigration, pick your triggering topic. Fixing those would require people/voters to make sacrifices. We see the age old battle in this country - Capital vs labor. If voters get sidetracked by anything else it is like a dog chasing a squirrel he will never catch.

The internet was supposed to democratize information and let people be heard, and it has. Now people just ignore it and make stuff up that suits their narrative.

I am no expert on this and someone could easily make an argument as to why these ideas wouldn't work. But to me the money has to come out of campaign finance.

Repeal citizens united and set laws that bar campaign contributions above 1 unit of currency per citizen. No more million dollar donations to politicians from corporations or individuals. Everyone's campaign contributions can be no more than the value of their singular vote. Think a single voucher for every person of voting age in America, and they can give it to one candidate to support their campaign. Similar to this idea from Andrew Yang.

The only campaigning you can do are public debates and public interviews that are on PBS and C-span.

Overhaul primary elections so it's not the most extreme voters showing up to select the most extreme politicians.
Gotta include the amount candidates can contribute (or "loan") to their own campaigns as well; more and more rich people with god complexes are able to buy their way into office.

I was hoping a third party and someone like Manchin could step up to at least be a serious option this year (i.e., give people a third choice, given the other two), but apparently not. After all this time as a nation it's amazing we still only have two major parties.
Simple, old white dudes only elect old white dudes.

There are solutions to our current political system mess, like rank-choice voting or evening to run-off elections if no candidate gets over 50% (might make people more willing to throw vote at a third-party candidate). Won't happen in any meaningful way because each side works to protect their self interest. The minority particularly doesn't want any changes because the system is set up to try to balance representation.

I know this isn't your post Redmt, so nothing personal, but this is the biggest crock of horse manure... We all want what we want and don't care how it screws the other guy/gal. If we wanted anything "fixed" it would have been done a long time ago.

Last 24 years = Divided branches of government 12 years, full Repub control 8 yrs, full Dem control 4. Look at what you got when one party has control. Repubs give tax cuts, Dems gave healthcare and child care tax credits (neither ever paid for, but whatever). None of them addressed big problems like SS, Medicare/Medicaid, deficit, education, immigration, pick your triggering topic. Fixing those would require people/voters to make sacrifices. We see the age old battle in this country - Capital vs labor. If voters get sidetracked by anything else it is like a dog chasing a squirrel he will never catch.

The internet was supposed to democratize information and let people be heard, and it has. Now people just ignore it and make stuff up that suits their narrative.

I've said it before, but the 12th amendment basically makes party duopoly a feature and not a bug. Until we have some reforms like @SAJ-99 mentioned the train continues down the same track. The parties have little interest in that though because it will dilute their power.

We're down to like 5 legitimate swing states. In most of the country the electoral map is set, with half of Texas and half of California feeling disenfranchised. Some partial apportionment or ranked choice voting could ease that pressure.

I know a portion of my friends think I'm a fascist supporting right winger, and a portion of my family thinks I'm a dirty commie. It's a huge challenge but I think that's a good place to be. It takes immense diplomacy at a party though. I hope that exposure de-radicalizes them some.

Repeal citizens united
CU is a golden ticket authorizing the sale of our elections to the highest bidder, foreign and/or domestic. It has to go.

I usually refrain from participating in these threads , but this has been a good one . It's nice to see like minded people on here , lots of good stuff got thrown out here .

As to R K Jr , at least he's talking about making changes and pointing out the flaws in our current process . I doubt he has a real chance but at least he has risen above the blame game .

I would love to see the JFK information get released , T and B both said they'd release it and didn't , R K Jr is pushing for it to be released .

It’s very frustrating indeed. I have family around whom I just pick & choose my words and conversations very carefully. I’ll challenge opinions espoused as fact, and generalizations, but otherwise it’s best to just hold my tongue or change the conversation entirely.

It doesn’t always work, though, and in those instances I try to remember that they feel the way they do, there’s very little I can do to change that.

I’ve yet to “lose” anyone, so far anyway

I've said it before, but the 12th amendment basically makes party duopoly a feature and not a bug. Until we have some reforms like @SAJ-99 mentioned the train continues down the same track. The parties have little interest in that though because it will dilute their power.

We're down to like 5 legitimate swing states. In most of the country the electoral map is set, with half of Texas and half of California feeling disenfranchised. Some partial apportionment or ranked choice voting could ease that pressure.

Not to mention that 15% of the registered Republican voters of Iowa effectively decide who the Republican candidate will be for the rest of the country.

The primary schedule is dumb, the fact that no one turns out to vote is even more dumb. Sure I may disagree with who you* voted for in the general in 2024, but whatever it's gonna be a shit sandwich. What pisses me off is that you* are going to complain about it being a shit sandwich but you* didn't vote in the primary.

*figurative you

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back