Caribou Gear Tarp

A quick Nebraska trip

pointingdogsrule

20210424_084056.jpg20210424_062921.jpg

I believe that this is year 13 for me going to northwest Nebraska. I took the county sheriff
along and his two sons. They never shot a Merriam. I left my gun at home. It's more fun seeing others shoot these beautiful birds.
Arrived on Friday and the two boys doubled up on Friday evening. 7 Tom's came in and they shot at the same time. Two amazing facts. One Tom had a double beard which is rare for a Merriam. Second one Tom weighed 25 lbs. The biggest Merriam that I have ever seen. Most go 21 lbs.
The next morning me and the dad set up in a blind. About 20 birds flew down and came in. Dad dropped one. Once more a double beard.
The trip was done except for shooting p.dogs. I've never seen kids waste so much ammo in so little time. But... they had fun.

Attachments

• 20210424_182004.jpg
    20210424_182004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Looks like a great trip. Great photo with the landscape in the background. The uninitiated would never guess that’s Nebraska.

Congrats on a great hunt. Although you may have set high expectations. They will be thinking they can go out and get a turkey in one sit everytime.

View attachment 181835View attachment 181836

I believe that this is year 13 for me going to northwest Nebraska. I took the county sheriff
along and his two sons. They never shot a Merriam. I left my gun at home. It's more fun seeing others shoot these beautiful birds.
Arrived on Friday and the two boys doubled up on Friday evening. 7 Tom's came in and they shot at the same time. Two amazing facts. One Tom had a double beard which is rare for a Merriam. Second one Tom weighed 25 lbs. The biggest Merriam that I have ever seen. Most go 21 lbs.
The next morning me and the dad set up in a blind. About 20 birds flew down and came in. Dad dropped one. Once more a double beard.
The trip was done except for shooting p.dogs. I've never seen kids waste so much ammo in so little time. But... they had fun.
Great story and I can completely relate with the excitement of putting others on birds…there is nothing quite like watching someone pull the trigger on a bird that has been strutting and close. I hunted south central Nebraska for the first time this year. It’s amazing how different the landscape is a short distance away. Thanks for sharing.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back