A plan that came together...

1_pointer

Since I accepted a new job that will be moving me 1/2 across the country, which is happening next week I needed to get a load worked up and zeroed for my 30-06. I didn't really want to go buy any new powder, so I decided to find a load for a 165gr Partition and R-15 (which I had on hand). So, with time short this summer with the move and new baby (June 28) I did some in Nosler #6. From my extrapolations of the Nosler manual I loaded up a series of test loads in 1/2 grain increments, starting at 51.5gr and ending at 52.5. The middle load shot the best a month ago, so I loaded up 38 rounds last night and headed to the range this morning to get it zeroed. Once I warmed up with my 223AI, I fired three rounds to get reaquainted with the 30-06. First round showed up 1.5" high and 1.5" right. Fired another, but even with my spotter, albeit a very cheap one, couldn't see where it landed. So I fired a third and again couldn't see it! So I headed down range only to discover that all three were in the same hole!!! So back at the bench, I adjusted windage and fired three more. Not as small as the first group, but plenty good for me. I moved down to the 200yd line and fired two more so as to leave me with a round number of rounds left. To say that I'm happy with the load is an understatement! Now, I just hope that I can work in a few days in WY to try to fill the 3 pronghorn tags I have.

Targets were fired in a counter clockwise order. Not too bad for a $300 no longer made rifle and a $180 Nikon scope.
DSC00003.jpg

I've always thought those MR-7's were interesting rifles.
Obviously yours is a shooter.

Pretty fair load tinkering and shooting pointer. Good luck with the hunt and the move.

Randy- MR-7s are very much like a pushfeed Winchester. IIRC, some sort of patent deal was why Marlin dropped them. Only small complaint I have is the stock has a pretty large grip.

NHY- Thanks.

Can't argue with a good 30-06!

Hope the move goes as well as possible back to IN. Keep your Ford pointed West.

Pointer,

Looks like you got stuff dialed in...always a nice feeling. I've had some good results my old 30/06 as well.

I took that crap 7mag of mine out this weekend and shot it. I shot a .72 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards, right at 3 inches high. Shot one time at the 300 meter pig silhoutte, smacked it center on the shoulder. Shot once at the 400 meter turkey silhoutte and hit it dead center in the body.

Put everything away and came home...guess I'll suffer through another season with that rig.

Good shooting and looks like you have found a god load to shoot.
If your stock is to bulky why not file and sand it down and just restain your stocki the off season something to be said for a rifle that fits perfect to you

Put everything away and came home...guess I'll suffer through another season with that rig.
I feel so sorry for you with that rifle and a pocketful of tags... ;)

If your stock is to bulky why not file and sand it down and just restain your stocki the off season something to be said for a rifle that fits perfect to you
It's not really that bad and I wouldn't want to mess up the checkering, even though its just pressed.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WMNhunter09
Back