Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

a non US citizen and i would like to hunt in the future

idoperetz54

hello my name is Ido i am a non US citizen and i would like to hunt in the future (when i will leave the israeli military) but i have no idea how haunting works for non US citizens.
can someone give me a summery of what is required from me in order to hunt elk or deer in the US or even other big game
thank you
Ido

I can't help you on the info you need except to say you found the right hunting forum to help you fulfill your desire to hunt in the US.

Welcome and, to start with, pick a place you think you'd like to hunt someday in the US, then email the department of fish and game for that place and ask them what they need from you in order to apply for a non-res license. Good luck, I think you have a commendable goal in mind.

You will need to get s hunter's education course that is accepted by the state you will hunt in. I did one completely online a couple of years ago when I lost my old card. You also should work to get s basic understanding of how to get a tag. Each state is different. Some you will be able to get a tag easily and some you may never get a tag because of the draw system details. You could hunt elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, couse deer, pronghorn antelope, or black bear without too much trouble in getting a license and tag. You will have to research this alot. I would suggest Colorado over the counter elk or Idaho otc elk or deer for ease of understanding. You can hunt on National forest (different from National Parks) or Bureau of Land Management without getting special permission. Millions of acres of these.

Overall, you need to research the state you plan to hunt. The laws and requirements are different in each. Good luck!

Just remember that each State is different, so probably best to pick a state or two or three and focus on those. But as a practical matter, there is no difference between someone from outside of the US and someone from a different state within the US when it comes to hunting—the rules that will apply to you as a non-US citizen in Wyoming, for example, are the same rules that will apply to me, a US citizen from Texas.

Check with your state game and fish authorities on requirements. Some states do have provisions to allow non-citizens to hunt. Many of them require hunter safety certifications for anyone born after a certain date and that includes non-citizens. Your game and fish licensing office is a place to start.

Alaska non citizens have additional restrictions that us residents of another state don’t have, but that’s unusual.

Firearm transport is at the federal level

Make sure to check COVID restrictions/quarantines as these can be at both the state and federal level

You'll need an internationally recognized hunter safety certificate for some states, other states don't ask. I had a kiwi come out and hunt with me in Hawaii but he had to come a week early to take a hunter safety course in Honolulu. If you take a hunter safety class in any state it will be accepted in all states.
Alaska is the only state that I know of that requires non-citizens to hire a guide to hunt big game.

Non-citizens who can legally carry a firearm and legally be in the country can obtain most any license for just about any species in the same manner as any nonresident hunting the the state.

Here is my advice, and I’ll keep it very simple.
Do an online hunters education.
If you just want to hunt, go to Colorado or Idaho and hunt OTC tags.
If you have a specific State in mind, buy points there and also apply each year.
I’m also a non-resident and have hunted Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. And I’d recommend them all.

Welcome to Hunttalk. Many states require that a hunter ed student also participate in an in-person field day. Some states have waived that requirement due to COVID-19. I would suggest that you find one of those states and get your hunter ed out of the way now. I know Idaho was waiving the field day.

Good luck.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back