MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A new effort in Colorado could open 100,000 acres to hunting and recreation

The commission just unanimously approved adding 500,000 acres for public big game hunting access, CO land board approved as well.

Commissioner Garcia asked why all CO state land couldn't be added to the program.

The land board rep said some wasn't appropriate, (high speed train testing, old bombing range with live ordnance, some is leased by the gov for military insertion exercises), some pieces don't have access from public roads, and some have conflicting leases.

The land board responded to BHAs comment about the lands and I think was a bit misleading, they said that much of the state land out east had never been leased by hunters and therefore wasn't worth CPAW acquiring. I think most CO hunters just don't want to have to pay to hunt what should be their land anyway.

Last edited:
Is there a map somewhere that shows the new land? Or am I just a dunce and missing something? Pretty good deal

Cool, thanks for the link. I see they will make an announcement in mid August.

I am interested in seeing if and how quickly this can get added into onX. I’m sure there will be a delay in the access for multiple reasons, but it’s a great thing overall. May change the face of Colorado pronghorn and mule deer hunting especially.

The state land board stated at the meeting the goal was to open up 100,000 acres of new lands for hunter walk-in access starting Sept 1st.

All of the 500,000 acres will be walk-in only. Here is the discussion. It is my understanding that the specific parcels to be enrolled this year have not be designated. My assumption is that given this decision the land board will designate parcels and that this information will be available in the 2019 CPAW state land brochure as well as at the state land board website and on the Colorado Hunt Atlas https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas
I would assume that Onx will be updating their layers as well.

If the state land board publishes an updated shapefile to their website I will post a map on this thread.

Docs

100,000 acres is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, but I'll take it. It is a 20% increase in the amount of accessible state land. Fingers crossed that they can make the million acre mark in the near future.

Still trying to figure out the new properties, there are lots of "new" properties listed in the booklet, but I'm not aware of a layer or map set. The lands have also not been added to the Colorado Hunt Atlas, and I spoke to 2 district wildlife managers about a specific parcel is a sub section of a bigger state section, they had no idea where it was or the boundaries... sounds about right...

Also how's this for an anti state land transfer argument. Here is 320 acres of BLM that is land locked by Colorado State Land that is leased to the nature conservancy.
So you can't hunt these federal lands because the state of Colorado is barring access. 😂

1569008095567.png

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out the new properties, there are lots of "new" properties listed in the booklet, but I'm not aware of a layer or map set. The lands have also not been added to the Colorado Hunt Atlas, and I spoke to 2 district wildlife managers about a specific parcel is a sub section of a bigger state section, they had no idea where it was or the boundaries... sounds about right...

Also how's this for an anti state land transfer argument. Here is 320 acres of BLM that is land locked by Colorado State Land that is leased to the nature conservancy.
So you can't hunt these federal lands because the state of Colorado is barring access. 😂

View attachment 114900
They are on the hunt atlas if you look.

They are on the hunt atlas if you look.

One of them may be on but most? a lot? are not, without a cohesive layer it's a bit hard to tell. I found a ton that were not mapped, here's a couple.

1569342190051.png
My guess at this one..
1569342208624.png

Hunt atlas
1569342232012.png

1569342948178.png
1569342921641.png
My guess
1569342882890.png

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads