Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A MT Moose update

Amen!!

Any chances the moose you are looking for is already on someone's wall?

There are zero chances of that unless it was poached:) There are three tags. I helped the first tagholder fill her tag with the biggest moose I've seen all season. Had it at 11 yards but I knew she really had her heart set on that bull so I passed the opportunity. And she couldn't be happier so that was awesome.

I have one of the other two and LIKE2HUNT on here from California has the third tag. He is coming in 11-12 days to hunt out the rest of season. I have kept him in the loop with all the moose I've seen and where to hopefully make his season a success as well. Although if he comes up here and shoots a big moose I've been after for nearly 40 days, that sucker is gonna owe me a frig full of beer:)LOL

Might grab the sleeping bag and bivy tonight and may disappear for a couple days........depends on the knee, and unfortunately, now ankle.

Think all the hunting is taking its toll, wearing me down...

With all the work and dedication I've seen in your posts I'm sure you'll have success.

I can't friggen believe a guy can hunt 39 days, see over 25 different bulls and not see one big one. I feel I'm hunting a genetically challenged bunch of moose...lol

Um...

Well, before I got soaked this morning, I decided to try finding a bull I located just prior to season. I never got a good look at him then but knew he was worth another look so I've been trying to find him since.........Well, I got a better look today, and could have easily put the hammer down, but after 30 minutes of arguing with myself on what to do, I decided that I would still hold out for a while to see if I can find a slammer. Now this is a pretty dang nice Montana moose fellas......

But, alas, he lives another day:)

;)
Good luck buddy. Keep grinding away and something very good is bound to happen.

Um...

;)
Good luck buddy. Keep grinding away and something very good is bound to happen.

Randy, after much debate we finally came to the conclusion that we didn't actually see that bull. It was a different bull. So, in actuality, I have not seen that target bull in person yet....... But one very close to him.

Critter, I'll bet your tag calendar looks like an abstract collage.;)

Good luck punching the big one.

Matt,
You have been a great help keeping me excited about this hunt with all your updates, textes and phone conversations. Thanks. Since I dropped my Daughter off at MSU at the end of August work has been super busy and 80 to 120 hours a week. This hunt gives me something to look forward to. Every year after harvest I find somewhere to hunt, relax, and try to tell myself that all the hours at work are what allow me to afford to visit other states and enjoy a quality hunt. I did not get a chance to meet with you in late August when I dropped my Daughter off and scouted the area. But you know where I will be camped and you are welcome any time to stop by and have dinner with us. Better make room in that frid :) :D :) :D
Thanks again
Bill

Waiting on my text that says....."Moose down, lets go pack!" I need something to think about as I try to get through another excitement filled grad-school day.

Well, couple more days wearing out boot rubber.......Yesterday the wind was brutal so I knew if I cut any tracks they were going to have to be REAL fresh to know if they were even trackable. Well, 2.8 miles into the journey, I hit these and as miserable as it was, this brightened the spirits a bit.....two very fresh bull moose tracks...

Attachments

• nov 5-2 s.jpg
    nov 5-2 s.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,157
One thing I have learned about these moose is that they are not near as dumb as they were during the rut. With all the rifle hunters out there the past couple weeks, most of the bull moose are thick timber bound now trying to stay away from the rat race. I tracked these two into a steep north hillside of lodgepole and blowdown.......took it as slow as imaginable.....about 100 yards per hour:) Stopping and glassing every couple steps........then, I see this and get the heart going a bit.

Attachments

• nov 5-4 s.jpg
    nov 5-4 s.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,157
I ended up sneaking into 25 yards of this bull, hoping to see what the other bull looked like but could not locate him. THen the wind changed and they both took off. However I never got to see the second one so I got back on his track and followed him........and followed some more.........and then some more after that:) 2 miles later, going the wrong direction from the truck, I finally catch up to him and he turned out to be no better than the first one. BIg let down when you have nearly 6 miles to get back to the truck........and all uphill. Oh well, day #40 on the moose was still a good day for excersise:)

just did a light morning today to let my legs heal up for tomorrow and friday. But in the short 4 hour morning I came across this guy. A dinker.

As this bull went over the ridge, I kept going. Unbeknownst to me that there were two bulls with this guy apparently just above him. Either they were out of sight when I was looking it over or I need to pay more attention:D

Catch up on some work today and get the pack ready for some long timber hiking tomorrow.

Attachments

• nov5.jpg
    nov5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,158
This s a great thread critter, keep it up, one of those bulls is going to show itself.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back