PEAX Equipment

A little sick about the deer I shot...

smalls

Don't get me wrong, I am pumped to have taken my first mule deer with archery tackle, but...

In my quest for elk I hadn't paid any attention to the mule deer regs all season (in fact I hadn't seen much for deer at all where I was hunting). I had been hunting near the edge of a hunting district for the last two weeks. This hunting district was open for elk but a draw unit for mule deer. Knowing I was close to the edge I had checked the elk regs for the bordering units and found they were was no change from the district I was in. Well on Saturday of this weekend (the day before I shot my deer) I was putting a stalk on a raghorn bull only to come over the top of the ridge to be face to face with a pair of great bucks. The bigger had a spread just outside his ears as his ears lay completely flat, and at least 5 or 6" more height than width. Plus he had a bunch of little stickers coming off of both sides, they were only a inch or inch and a half a piece, but they made for a cool looking buck. They didn't initially know I was there and didn't notice me for over a minute while I sat w/in 50 yards. There is no doubt in my mind that I could have backed up 3 steps to have gotten the brush between myself and the deer and gained another 20 yards. I knew at the time I was not in the original district I had been hunting in, but I did not know what the regs were on deer where I was standing so I never even nocked an arrow.

Long story short, I looked at the regs of the unit I had crossed into only to find that muley was more than legal to stick. I could have shot my first "wallhanger" but due to my own ignorance that buck is still running around. My only hope is that he survives rifle season, which I am confident in since a)there is no way of sighting this buck from any road b)it was a very strenuous hike to get into his bedroom, that will weed alot of guys out and c)I didn't tell a soul where I saw him.

Now in addition to feeling stupid about not knowing the deer regs, I feel guilty that in some way I am short changing the experience I had with the deer I took.

The deer you took was a fine animal. Just chalk it up to experience and look forward to next year when you can put a sneak in on him once again.

What wile said...you'll look back and laugh down the road but learned a good lesson. I learned one myself years ago and it had a little piece of paper attached to it from a man in uniform! :eek:

That experience is not any different than passing on a buck that you can't get a good look at because his rack is hidden by brush or there isn't enough light so he looks too small, only to realize that he was a wall hanger after he is out of range. It shows your respect for the law and for the animal, an admirable trait that hopefully gets passed down to future generations.

If everyone does the same thing there will always be another buck on another day that has your name on it and he will probably be larger that the one you passed on.

Yeah, I've been there and done that...

I have to kick in my 2 cents here and say that you made the right choice. If you aren't sure about a reg, it is better safe than sorry. I know you are kicking yourself now, but just think how horrible you would feel if you had shot him, and then found out you were in the wrong. Don't worry, good karma has a way of coming back to those who show respect.

Be Happy- that's the way you're supposed to do it. Letting a buck walk is never a bad decision, especially if you ask the buck. To paraphrase what was said above- when in doubt- DON'T SHOOT.

I've always been ecstatic about every deer I've ever shot- be it a small doe or horny buck- I'm just happy I got a deer!

"Letting a buck walk is never a bad decision, especially if you ask the buck"

LMAO ! :p

Hey dude... that's the way it goes for all of us at some point.

Enjoy the memory of what you did take, and enjoy the planning of going back for round 2 !

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back