A good Whitetail...

Moosie

Grand poopa
I'll type slower, and take my time in this thread so EVERYONE understands.. ;)

I'm going to leave on a hunt later this week. I will be hunting Whitetail and Mule deer. The odds of getting both are real good. Odds of getting a good whitetail and mule deer could be possible as well. I will, however, need to hold out for one that is of good size.

Can someone post a good representation picture of a Whitetail I should be holding out for? And tell me why you think it's good. Thank you

th_2006.jpg

It would be a good one because it is not a spike

I think this buck is good because it has lots of long points, good mass, and some trash.

bigbucknorthidaho2.JPG

when will you be back??? Max and I will heading out this Sat for Idaho--still not sure exactly where we are going to hunt, but it will be either by Sun Valley or where we went last year between Boise and Stanley---anyway let me know so maybe we can hook up before or after if we come your way---oh yea hold out for long eyeguards and tines on the whitey with good mass---good luck.....chris

Nut and Oak... thanks... :rolleyes:

Chris, I'm leaving Tuesday and won't be back till the following week. I won't be around this weekend. Drop me a line when you're coming through though in case something changes. (208)571-1ELK is the cell #.

You would look at that as a Good hite tail huh ? Gesh... panty lines all wrong, thats a Average White tail at best. Dang Montana Boys settle for anything.

Probably smaller than this one. This pretty lady just shot it and it set a 32 year record for women in south Texas' Muy Grande contest, I heard. We had a lot of rain down here to help him grow this year.

Attachments

• bigbuck2007.jpg
    bigbuck2007.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 263
Oh there are better, but want to keep it rated PG. :D Seriously though if you kill a buck that goes 130" or better it's a pretty decent whitetail. If it breaks 150" then it's a very good whitetail. Over 160 is really, really good. Over 170 is a pipe dream for most people.

From your post, I suspect you've not killed any decent whiteys.
For a first good, representative, wall mounter, I'd look for min. 8 points with a rack exceeding his ear width. That will be a 17" spread, maybe 120 class buck which is a darned respectable buck to get started with.

For where you're heading I think a 130 whitetail would be a good one and probably at or above the average for what his clients get.

If you see a deer resembeling any of those (except maybe the two in the picture together) don't even hesitate. A couple of them are very nice deer. Don't know if you remember it, but my buck from 04 grossed like 129 I think. He's what I would consider an average mature buck for that part of the state.

BTW, that roadkill that Oak put up is one awesome buck in person, pictures do it no justice.

Pretty much any of those bucks on that site would get smoked by me.

Look for a mature buck, big boddy, blocky front end, swayed back, decent mass in the antlers...

IMO any buck over 130" is a solid buck, for pretty much anywhere in the country, minus maybe parts of IA, and some parts of Canada.

I think I've killed close to 30 whitetail bucks, and to be honest I would be content for the rest of my life if all I could find to shoot were mature 125-130class bucks. They aren't exactly a dime a dozen anywhere I've hunted.

Back