A good morning on the range.

ShadowFast1

I managed to get a day off of work during the week and was excited to go out, confirm zero on my .30-30 and test some TTSX loads in the .308. After checking the weather for the day I was off, I lost my enthusiasm. The temperature dropped from a beautiful 78° the day before to mid-forties, windy, and drizzling.

I'm still a young guy but I've become comfortable being indoors too much. All year I've pushed myself to drop the excuses and get outside. And today was one of the better days I've had at the range even though I was cold, wet, and miserable.

I found a spot somewhat out of the wind to set up and shoot from. After getting my target set at 100 I put some holes through it with the .30-30. I was hitting left 2-1/2" and adjusted my scope. Three more shots confirmed my adjustment. She's ready for whitetail.

My .308 was up next. Since I was testing loads for it I needed to set my target in a better spot to keep it from moving in the wind. I got prone behind the rifle and shot off my pack. I had a little bag that a camera ball head came in that I'd filled 3/4 full with parachute cord as a rear bag. I shot my first load that was .060" off the lands and ended up with two hits on target on the bottom edge and one just of target. I adjusted 1 Mil up and shot my next load at .070" off the lands. I got a 1-1/16" group. The middle of the group measured 2cm right of the bullseye so I adjusted 2/10 Mil left. Zero'd and found my elk load.

After all of that I walked around and hunted cactus and big gyp rock with my dad's 6" Taurus Judge with 225 gr FTX .45LC. That was a lot of fun.

At the end of the day I had a great time and accomplished a lot. And I won't remember how much the weather sucked after I warm back up anyways.

20191024_120321.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back