A few more photo's from this year

JJHACK

A typical impala ram from the main consession we hunt.

f85cdc3a.jpg

Another, from one of my favorite hunters of the season. This ram ran at full speed for 60-80 yards at the shot and then tried to leap a high section of bush. He died in mid leap and tumbled end over end three times or so. The cloud of dust and flying body was one of the more impressive sights of the year and certainly one of the most impressive of my entire hunting career. I was so pleased that the horns were not broken off this impala after that end over end tumble! I suppose what made it most impressive was that he actually ran closer to us after the shot.
f85ce822.jpg

Another nice Blue wildebeast taken after an especially long stalk which was executed perfectly and finished with a longish shot. it was taken while using my hunched over back as a shooting rest.

f85ce843.jpg

This bull also ran at the shot but could be heard crashing through the brush when he went down. Jan used a .308 proving that even the "bullet proof" Blue wildebeast can be taken with a smaller cartridge when the shot is placed properly.

Another Blue wildebeast taken during the trip. This one shot with a 8mm rem mag required three shots to finally bring to a stop!
f85ce832.jpg

Another Blue Wildebeast shot with a 35 whelen also required three shots to fold up. My finisher with the 458 Lott was taken when the bull was about to crush our little fox terrier that is trained for blood tracking. Our little dog has saved so many trophy fees for hunters now, his worth must be in the many thousands of dollars.

f85ce81b.jpg

Around the campfire at night.
f84a74f4.jpg

One of the bigger animals on the consession.
f84a74be.jpg

Some croc's hiding out of the sun.
f84a7569.jpg

Our tracking dog Michael on Tatias lap.
f84a5d51.jpg

My wife and I near the entry of the property. She is a good sport to go hunting with me and my clients for the season and she is also the driver of one of the Safari trucks when we go scouting.
f84a5d6b.jpg

So what was the biggest kudu bagged this year? You teased us with that picture last year...

You mean like this one, Bohunter? :D ;)

http://www.huntandlodge.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000092

As long as we are not getting spammed by dozens of ads a day, and the posters are active members of the board, I have no problem with occasional ads. (Maybe Moosie gets free hunts or discounts like ol' Joshy from HIS???) The competition may make for lower prices for forum members. ;)

[ 06-15-2004, 17:38: Message edited by: Calif. Hunter ]

We took quite a few in the 50's and a couple at 48. Those who took 48-49" kudu usually have to settle for the ones that stay put long enough for the shots to be made. Everyone has a chance at bigger bulls but the shooting skills and sometimes the luck of the hunters determine the size.

We don't shoot under 50" bulls unless the hunter is limited or just chooses to take a bull with an easy shot. There is quite a bit of responsibility on the hubters shoulders to shoot a good bull. Our game is natual and wild here. It's not going to give you a long time to set up a shot. The genetics of the bulls in this area are the best in the world. The biggest bull ever taken was killed 30 miles from here and the biggest ever found dead was from the Limpopo river area just a short way from our lodge. That was over 70"!

The biggest bulls we have taken have been just over 60" and we have more that big as well. They don't get that big by being stupid or taking risks. I have seen and had the opportunity to shoot several of these bulls with hunters who took a bit to long or had previousley shot a bull early in the trip and then we ran into these monsters a few days later.

Last year our biggest bull was just at 60" and we took quite a few in the 56-58 range. Our avearage is more likely about 50-53" however.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back