Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

A day at the range

fishing4sanity

Not a hunting thread, but at least gun related. This past weekend my son talked me into entering a rifle match that he was shooting. A few years back I could out-shoot my three sons, those days are gone! The youngest is away at college, the oldest just had child #2 and felt he had better spend his day-off with his wife and new daughter, so I went with Spencer and enjoyed a very fun day of shooting. The first two pics are of him shooting. Next is another competitor shooting the 'mover' and a stationary target. The last picture is at the 'know your limits' rack where targets go from a 10" to a 2" circle. I think there were 7 or 8 stations, with most having a 12 round count. If hunting seasons are over, I can't think of a much better way to spend a day than shooting with my son/sons.

Attachments

• Rattlesnake.jpg
    Rattlesnake.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 360
  • Rattlesnake2.jpg
    Rattlesnake2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Rattlesnake3.jpg
    Rattlesnake3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Rattlesnake4.jpg
    Rattlesnake4.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 358
Nice! There is some $$ wrapped up in the guns I see pictured. I've always wanted to try a shoot like that. Someday once I can find time to get proficient at distance.

Nice! There is some $$ wrapped up in the guns I see pictured. I've always wanted to try a shoot like that. Someday once I can find time to get proficient at distance.
Some of the rifles are expen$ive, others a little more reasonable. The first time I shot with my son at a match I used my 270 hunting rifle, then my son built me a rifle on a Savage action that is much more capable than I am (the 270 is more capable than me too, but now I 'look' like I fit in :D). He switched from racing motocross to shooting and sold one set of toys for another. They are fun shoots, this one had a little shorter distances than most with targets from 215 to 800 yards, but that 215 yard one was mostly hidden and was missed fairly often. Find a match and go!
Fire_9 said:
Nice. Going to do Kettle Falls in May?
I've heard good things about the Kettle Falls match, I'd like to go but haven't in the past. I've hunted that general area and it certainly looks like a great area for this type of match. Have you shot at Kettle Falls or do some of these matches?

That looks it would be good time spent with a son. Cool thread. I enjoy doing things with mine where he is teaching me something new...think he does also.

Kettle Falls has be the only 'tactical' match that I've done so I don't have anything to compare it to but it was a lot of fun and a great shoot to learn. I would recommend it for all experience levels. Good group of guys and it was pretty laid back. I shot it two years ago and plan on doing it again this year.

My brother and I do a fair amount of shooting and he has recently gotten into the gunsmithing side of it. Being the nice guy that he is, he has let me use his machines to build a few rifles of my own. Pretty fun stuff.

Fire_9, if any of my sons or I get up to the Kettle Falls match I'll let you know. That's a pretty fair distance from Colstrip, but these matches have some guys from Montana fairly often.

Yeah it's a definitely a push but we meet a buddy there from western WA. It's a good halfway point for us. We met a few of the Montana shooters when we where there last time

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back