PEAX Equipment

A big something or other!!!

Montana does the same thing for poaching cases but NOT for setting tag costs thats were Tom is wrong

280 said:
That is not true

Tom you just don`t get it!

Guess I don't get it either. What part of Tom's question is not true? Also, please elaborate regarding the nobility aspect you seem to be alluding...and how "only a Texan" wouldn't undestand it.

Montana does the same thing for poaching cases but NOT for setting tag costs thats were Tom is wrong

One more time for the slow Texans

280 said:

One more time for the slow Texans

Thanks Saint 280...I suppose only the slowest of Texans would question your obvious superior intellect.

Besides, every state puts a monetary value for one, when they set the tag fee. That's what you pay to go get one, right? That's one value put on them.

Actualyl that is true. He never said they set fees on what the Value of the elk was, only that there was a Value set on elk to hunt them. A tag has a Fee associated with it, and thats what it costs to hunt them. So that "IS" on value put on them ;)

On your Behalf, Elk are Priceless..... Unless you buy a tag to hunt them :)

Tom, Answer Greeny's question, Are you going to mount that beast ? I would and hang it in my bedroom..... Something for her to hold onto while you're busy going to town !!! hump

That's fine and dandy you hunt those things but how are you able score it if you don't know what it is for sure? I may have missed something stated above but I didn't want to go through all the bickering to find the answer.

Tom said:
I'm boiling the skull this weekend. ,,.

That was my answer on the mounting it question. Skull mount. I'm buying a cattle feeder trough to fit the head in, then putting two of those turkey fryer propane burners under it. I hope that's enough heat to bring enough water to a boil. I'll find out soon.

I can buy a lot of priceless stuff for $50 or less, the way 280 reasons. Like the chance for a resident getting a big elk, that costs a lot more to manage and grow (I'm thinking). Then, once you hunt it and its shot, you pay $0 more, right 280? So, the total costs for getting the elk is the tag, get it?

Tom, don't boil it, you'll destroy it. Once you get a skull larger than an elk, you should beetle it. Boiling it well enough to get it very clean will end up with the damn thing falling apart. Find sombody with beetles. I clean off 20-30 heads a year for myself and friends, but I'd never try something that size.

What if I put a lot of meat tenderizer in the water? Will that help get it cleaned up quicker? I'll get some of that, then quit, if it looks like its falling apart.

Forget about boiling it, trust me. It will fug it up, it's too big. You'll loose all the inside nasal bones to get the meat cooked out of the other places. The surface will be all chalky white and brittle. It will turn out looking like crap compared to a beetle job.

By the time you see it falling apart it's too late...........bigger skulls take too long. If you do boil it, take as much meat off as possible, boil it 30 mins, take it out and take as much more meat off of it, and so on....

I only do a couple a year... 20-30 heads Greeny ? I'm calling BS :D :D

Drive a stake in the Middle of a Fire Ant bed and wire it to the stake, put some wire around it so the dogs don't mess with it and go shoot a Giraffe so we can have something to really get our panties in a wad. John

Everything I put out on fire ant beds dissappears. Our vultures are very efficient, raccoons are very clever, hogs carry them off, etc. I've lost horns and heads with the fire ant idea. Yeah, I'll put some pliers to it, tear the meat off, etc. That's a good method. If I"m not making progress, I'll quit, I don't want to ruin it, but I don't care if the nostrils have those little bones in them or not. I hope that's all I loose.

What about the tongue? Its been cold the whole time, frozen for over a week or so now. I remember hearing about people taking the bison tongue and leaving the bison, so maybe the tongue would be good muscle meat? Its been in the head all this time though, tomorrow will be two weeks.

Who cares about the skull, wire it to the front of yer tractor and tell the trample story to the next guy that comes to hunt over the corn fed site!!!!

Tom, If you are going to boil it get your self some borax. Put about half the box in the water and put your skull in for about 30 min. This should take off what you couldn't get at. But take a lot of time cutting the meat and fat off be for you put it in the water. The size does not matter as much as the age of the animal. And I do do 20 to 30 heads a year but I got bugs...

Hey Tom here is a mount suggestion, get yourself a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado and mount that bad boy on up on the front,,,,

Tom said:
That was my answer on the mounting it question. Skull mount. I'm buying a cattle feeder trough to fit the head in, then putting two of those turkey fryer propane burners under it.

That should be a pretty cool mount, kind of a natural environment to mount it with the head stuck in the cattle feeder trough. And putting the frying burners under it will just add to the realism.

Be sure and post pictures of the completed mount.

280 said:
Hey Tom here is a mount suggestion, get yourself a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado and mount that bad boy on up on the front,,,,

:D :D :D :D Now you're getting into the spirit.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back