A backwards load question.

Preacher shaner

Ok we all know that the question of what gun to use for elk and what bullet to use has been ask every way we can think. So here it is.
What's the gun you have seen people hunting with that you know was a bad idea.

I’ve seen many that I wouldn’t use, but, that’s not saying that they shouldn’t be used for elk! If the hunter is “willing” to stay within the capabilities of the cartridge....then all is well! Heck, a .22 RF is adequate... provided it is used within it’s “ very narrow” performance capabilities as an elk cartridge! memtb

I once knew a person who used a .243 With full lead bullets to hunt elk. It took over 6 shots to put that poor elk down😡
Probably not the best idea.

Last edited:
I hunted elk w a young cousin, he carried a .243. We were in the CO high country, where shots could be long. I hoped he wouldn't shoot it @ one, and the opportunity did not present itself.

I’ve seen many that I wouldn’t use, but, that’s not saying that they shouldn’t be used for elk! If the hunter is “willing” to stay within the capabilities of the cartridge....then all is well! Heck, a .22 RF is adequate... provided it is used within it’s “ very narrow” performance capabilities as an elk cartridge! memtb

Can't we just agree that a .22 RF is not adequate for most things. Do we really need to be "all inclusive" and say that, "well, it COULD work, given the right set of circumstances. . . ." Darn right wing, liberal, commie, Christians . . . 😁

The one that comes to my mind 1st is the 8mm Rem Mag model 700 BDL that my Dad's good friend bought back in the 1980s. It should have been a great elk rifle, which is what he bought it for, but it kicked the everloving snot out of him and he was always scared to death of it and was never able to use it to it's potential. He later bought a 375 H&H to take to Africa and he commented to me that he would much rather shoot the 375 that that 8mm mag.

I talked to a processor once and he told me a story about a guy who was pissed he got less than 100 pounds of meat from a bull elk. He went on to say that the guy was shooting a .416 (I think) and shot the thing a few times before making a lethal hit. I'd rather hit it with a TTSX from a .243 in the lungs...

Ok we all know that the question of what gun to use for elk and what bullet to use has been ask every way we can think. So here it is.
What's the gun you have seen people hunting with that you know was a bad idea.

I have no problem with people using .243's on elk.

I did run into a guy one time though that I had to question. He was from Seeley Lake Montana, about 20 years old and was packing a .17 Remington and hunting elk.

I wished him luck and thought about what kind of shit-show it would be if he actually ran into an elk. The way he was hunting, pretty low probability of that happening, thankfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back