Yeti GOBOX Collection

9mm for bears? Really?...Well Maybe...

Big Sky

I'm not going to argue that the 9mm is the best carry gun for protection against bears. It certainly wouldn't be my top choice against grizzly/brown bears. However, from a fairly recent study that I read, it stated that the 9mm had killed more grizzly/brown bears in defense situations than any other caliber in recent years. I don't remember what the second most common caliber, but I do remember it was a pretty big gap between first and second. I found this a little surprising, but then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised as 9mm's are super common, easy to carry, and tend to be easier to shoot accurately than larger caliber handguns. If given a choice between not having a gun on me and having a 9mm, I'll take the 9mm every time! In this video I'm just out having some fun with a new Smith&Wesson Shield Plus, and my youngest son, who is only 18, offered to video and edit a short video of it. I mean who can pass up a teenager offering to work??? Besides, I think he is pretty talented and his video editing skills far exceed mine, and frankly that of many other adults. Pretty talented kid if you ask me.
[video:youtube]

A 9mm is better than nothing. I'll stick with my Glock 21. I like something a little bigger than a 9mm.

I prefer bigger calibers than 9mm for bears. I was just surprised by the results in the article. Actually I’ve killed a pretty fair number of black bears and at close range the 9mm will work. In Utah all I carry is a 9mm. In Montana I don’t have nearly as much confidence in the the 9mm as bear protection regardless of what the article said.

Buffalo Bore 200gr hard cast for my Gen 4 G27 .40

They make a 9mm hard cast though only reason I'm okay with taking my .40 into griz country with ammo mentioned is due to frequent / repetitive shooting.

I wouldn't take a 9mm, hard cast, for a griz gun though I've heard it done and Buffalo Bore has a 147gr hard cast with a testament though 8 or 9 rounds used at dead close range 2-7 yards by an experienced outdoorsman.

Better than a .22. I've scouted in Grizzly country with just a 9mm before. If anything it's at least a good piece of mind so you don't feel naked when you are out and about.
Nice video editing... no public range is complete without some tires and a washer and dryer full of bullet holes lol

I get it. You can actually hit shit with it. Point in case. I bought a Taurus 44 mag, ported, for my "bear gun". Got out to the range, set up a paper plate at 7 yards, missed every time. Even with practice, I never became good enough for it to be anything more useful than a rock. Oh and goodbye to your hearing if you ever have to shoot it without ear protection.

I sold it and bought a Sig Sauer in 9mm. First time out, I shot a tennis ball sized group. I hold excellent groups with it, enough that I am confident with it. A 147gr hard cast at 1000FPS+ is going to do some damage. Especially if you can put it where it counts.

I know some guys can become proficient with the big bores, but most cannot. It takes a ton of practice, range time, and expensive ammo. Point is, if I'm in a bad enough of a position where I have to defend my self from a bear with a handgun, I am taking the one I can hit things with.

All that being said, if I am in an area where grizzlies are a concern, I am packing a rifle or shotgun w/slugs and bear spray.

If you miss a bear's brain/spine, it doesn't matter if you're using a 9mm or a 458win. You're probably in some trouble. If you hit a bear's brain/spine, it also doesn't matter if it's a 9mm or a 458win - the bear is going right down. Friend of mine who is an outfitter in AK, and used to work oil field security, etc, carried a 9mm and shotgun with 00 buck. Regardless of what you read, a 9mm bullet won't bounce off a bear's forehead.

Also, I always have wondered who it was shooting up the washers and driers out in the hills... my questions are now answered.. :D

Hard bullets at slight velocities are capable of incredible penetration. Still, I would like to see a 9mm perforate a grizzly skull.

Hard bullets at slight velocities are capable of incredible penetration. Still, I would like to see a 9mm perforate a grizzly skull.
The right bullet would do it without a problem. Lots of problem bears get the .22 mag treatment.

After having a surprise run in (we were both surprised!) with a large black bear while carrying my Walther PPS, scouting & setting up cameras, i felt under gunned!

I now carry at least my 1911 in 45 ACP with 185gr Sierra FP Tournament Masters.
I wish they hadn't discontinued them!

Most often though now i'm carrying a rifle with me.

Cutting Edge Bullets does make a mono for 9mm & 45.

The right bullet would do it without a problem. Lots of problem bears get the .22 mag treatment.
Don't know the skull thickness difference but I've grown up and worked at enough dairies to see hundreds of milk cows put down with a single 22lr bullet to the forehead. Granted they aren't charging you but they definitely penetrate.

People are killing grizzlies by shooting them through the skull with 22 mag? I mean through the skull, not ear or eye.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back