Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

9/11 Commission Finds Ties Between al-Qaeda and Iran

feclnogn

next to the rock over by the tree on the other sid
Next week's much anticipated final report by a bipartisan commission on the origins of the 9/11 attacks will contain new evidence of contacts between al-Qaeda and Iran—just weeks after the Administration has come under fire for overstating its claims of contacts between al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's Iraq
full story

This could be interesting. Do we deal with this or let the Israeli's deal with it?? These guys are causing tons of grief in Iraq, are working towards the N-Bomb and seem to be looking for a confrontation. How do you suppose Bush and Kerry will play this out. Kerry came forth supporting a policy of pre-emption if needed. Bush already supports it. This seems to be a clear enough reason for pre-emption. Will we see another front in 2005 after the elections?? Sooner??

So now what?

It kind of reminds me of the HoChiMin trail in Vietnam times. We were fighting in Vietnam and they were using supply lines in the country next door. Its a problem. Its kind of good, we did the Iraq thing before we had to fight all the Islamic radicals in one bigger war later. There's a thought on it.

There is no way the U.S. Military can deal with another conflict as currently we are tapped out for combat power.

The Iranians know that what happened in Iraq would be patty cake compared to what the Iranian's populace would do. They are more fanatical then the arabs, remember they are not an arab country.
I don't think any candidate will come out in support of a preemptive war with Iran.

Nemont

[ 07-19-2004, 18:30: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Be patient boys......we now have Afghanistan to the East, Turkey and Turkmenistan to the North, Iraq will soon be stabilized to the West, the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman to the South, and our people have been in Iran for quite awhile now. They are cut off! Look for fireworks come next Spring!

According to whitedip Look for fireworks come next Spring!

Great, I own stock in a casket making company...
:(

WTF is wrong with your head???

Not enough Americans killed yet to suit you?

I gotta agree with Nemont on this one. There is absolutely no way the US has the personell to begin another war. As it is, the US is calling up inactive reservists (both my wife and I fall under that category). I am hoping neither of us get a phone call in the near future. However, even if we called up all our reservists, it would be difficult to have enough manpower to invade Iran. Should we?? I'm not sure about that one.

Whitedeer,
I am as pro military as anyone but you need to study a little more history. Remember the Iranians were willing to bleed themselves white to take on an Iraqi army which was more mobile and better equipped, and they won.

The U.S. military is extremely stretched and brittle right now. We have the combat power to deal with the current situation but all commanders on the ground could use more manpower and equipment. We cannot allow another war in that or any theater to begin unless we are forced into it (ie. North Korea).

Our airlift command has taxed the current fleet of C-141's, C-5's and C-17's. Increasing the air traffic would further tax the airlift assets to the max.

The material required is a whole different problem. Smart bombs, 5.56 ammo, artillery shells, vehicles, spare parts and helos are all in short supply

Nemont

Nemont,

Good stuff there, but please dont waste your time with presenting facts, they just get in the way of whitedips fireworks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, Fly.....You can stick your head in the sand all you want, but, real Americans recognize that terrorism is an attempt to destroy the American way of life. Real Americans do not believe that the main reason for the attack of American soil was American foreign policy — such as support for Israel, or military bases in Saudi Arabia. Rather, real Americans believe that the reason for the attack was the American way of life: religious tolerance, freedom for women, free speech. It's you of the ultra left who will be wringing their hands and crying woe is me when pre-emptive strikes are compromised. Not since the beginning of World War II has there been so much popular support in America for a President's foreign policy. You sound like a Kerry clone sprouting the same shit for his own political ambitions. The war on terrorism is not like the Vietnam War, which many Americans thought was not related to America's most important interests. Today, real Americans recognize that destroying terrorism everywhere is necessary for the ability of Americans to live in peace in their own homes. The price of Liberty is not free, that is what our young men on foreign soil know and accept, and are willing, but not wanting, to pay the ultimate sacrifice. And yes, there will be hundreds, and thousands more, who will do so for you to be able to continue your own selfish triades upon their honor.....God Bless America!

Whitedeer,
Real Americans also understand force protection, rotation cycles, attrition, combat fatigue, family crisis and it's effect on morale. Real Amercicans understand that as currently configured it would be a military blunder to force the military into another conflict. We simply cannot support any more deployments other then what is already on our plate.

Real Americans agonize for their loved ones deployed and even though they fully support them and their mission it doesn't mean it is easy to watch the news. Real Americans know the young men and women will perform their duty to utmost any one of them would rather be back home drinking beer and eating burgers. Real Americans understand that you can speak up if you disagree with a politician and that is what makes our country great.

Real Americans want to stop terrorism but not give up freedom and liberty for no reason.

Nemont

Nemont.....I agree with you 100%.....well, almost 100%.....The military is capable of another deployment force, as long as it is not an occupying one. In the case of Iran, occupation would not be an intelligent choice. 70% of the Iranian population is under 30 years of age.....all they need is a toppling of the present hard line regime.

Nemont,

Good posts, but I imagine you are wasting your time educating Whitedeer. It sounds like he already knows everything....

Gotta love WhiteDeer's definition of "Real American"...

Whitedip,

My head may be in the sand, but yours is up your ass.

Need some proof?

Whitedip said, "Not since the beginning of World War II has there been so much popular support in America for a President's foreign policy.

You been playing Rip Vanwinkle or are you really that stupid?

Whitedeer, Can you find any polls that indicate Bush has more than 50% approval on anything?

"Support for the Iraq war continues to dwindle.

Forty-five percent of respondents said the U.S. did the right thing by invading Iraq, down from 48 percent in June and 64 percent in December.

And 62 percent of respondents now think the war was "not worth" the costs, up from 60 percent in June and 43 percent in March. Roughly a third of respondents said the human and financial costs of the war were "worth it." "http://www.investors.com/breakingnews.asp?journalid=22189783&brk=1

Hey Fecl,

Given Dubya's lack of education and brains, you don't s'pose this whole Iraq thing is actually just a spelling error? And Dubya really thought we were supposed to attack Iran ????

In the case of Iran, occupation would not be an intelligent choice. 70% of the Iranian population is under 30 years of age.....all they need is a toppling of the present hard line regime.
Whitedeer,
Go back and look at the demographics of the Iranian population between 1980 and 1988, when they were at war with Iraq. The first thing you will notice is they were 70% under age 30 then. The second thing you will notice is that an entire generation of men between the ages of 30 and 45 does not exist, They are either dead or maimed.

From 1980 to 1988 the under 30 crowd did not welcome the Iraqis as liberators. Instead they volunteered to die in human wave attacks upon fortified Iraqi strong points and to run through mine fields to clear them so the follow on armor would not be hung up in an obstacle.

If they were willing to fight that hard against another muslim country, albeit with secular leaders, how hard do you suppose the Iranian's would fight to repel the "Great Satan"?

Do you suppose the Ayatollahs have been preaching to the under 30 crowd about the virtues of America and how wonderful freedom and democracy is?

Whether or not you occupy the country you still need boots on the ground. Look at Afganistan, whether you just take out the leadership and leave the rest of population to figure it out for themselves it takes Money, Time and Personel. If you break it, you own it.

There is simply NO WAY that the military leadership is going to support going to war against Iran. The political leadership will not risk the fallout of forcing that issue. The voters of this country won't stand still for it either.

As for being able to support another deployment I just don't see how we can as we are out of troops. Our airlift and sealift capacities are limited and the POMCUS sites in Europe and the Middle East have already been cannibalized to support the current deployments. The Army is stripping vehicles and equipment from guard and reserve units not set to deploy. There simply is not enough stockpiled equipment, munitions and man power to take on Iran.

I don't think that you could support any adventure in Iran unless you are just trigger happy.

Nemont

[ 07-20-2004, 13:39: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Attacking Iran would be a mistake right now, for all the reasons cited above. In my opinion, we also need to get out of Iraq as much and as soon, as possible. Turn the Iraqi government over to the quislings and let them succeed or fail on their own merits.

Then go after Al Qaida and other terrorist groups - particularly their leadership.

That said, I have to say that I do not think for a single second that this conflict would then be over. It is going to be, as Bush pointed out right after 9-11, a long conflict. It is a conflict with those who hate us for our religion, our freedom, women's rights, our economy and the fact that we are the world's super-power. They will not stop until they are forced to stop or eliminated. They believe deeply in what they are doing, to the point of suicidal actions. They are not a threat to take lightly and they will not just "go away." We will have to deal with them from our position of power, as they will not compromise. To them in their culture, religion and minds - if they succeed in surviving, they have won.

Argue all you want about when and how. But "Why" and "If" were taken away from us on 9-11.

Back