Caribou Gear Tarp

7mm vs 300 win vs 338 win

I bought a rifle to do what you are as well except I hunt more white tails. I bought a Savage Bear Hunter in 300wm. With the brake on. very little recoil. I shot 80 rounds through it in one long range session without any recoil issues. I found it to be very accurate as well. I did swap out the bolt knob to a larger one that took maybe 5 minutes to do. I also added a cheek rest to better line up with the scope I chose. I am very happy with my set up and its good from 10 yards to 1000 yards+. There are a lot of good factory loads for a 300wm but I do plan on reloading for mine.

Pardon me sir, I seem to have forgotten my superlatives. Sure glad he didn't include a .375 and .416 in the list of options.

I'd go with the .300 Win Mag over the 7 Mag personally. A little extra ft.lbs of energy never hurts when elk are involved.

Ep8wV.jpg

Brett, you started off with the correct cartridge. The 30-06 Springfield is the king of all deer. 180gr or 200 gr bullet for elk, and a 150 gr for mule deer. Save your money and buy a great set of binoculars and a good quality range finder. A new fancy rifle gets old in time, the newness wears off but being able to find fame and range them never gets old. The 30-06 rules. Ammo everywhere.

7mag would be my pick. Its a great all around western big game cartridge IMO. I also would look at a 280 or 280AI, same performance lighter rifles. I've tipped over a pile of elk and deer with a 7mag and 280. Also killed a fair amount of critters with 300s and 338 esque cartridges. the only difference in performance is between your ears. Agree with Lawnboy, lighter recoil is nice.

My vote goes to 30-06. Although the magnum cartridges are powerful and "fast", an elk will fall with standard long action or short action cartridges.

Here are some very wise words from the man himself....

I would go 300 win mag, because I plain like 30 cals. If you plan on using factory ammo the 7mm rem mag almost never reaches posted ballistics IME.
If I wanted something bigger than a 300 I grab my 375 H and H.

Not really a bad choice in those three but I think the 300 win mag is hard to beat for an all around rifle for the lower 48 and most of the world for that matter. A lot of bullets and loads that will work from the muzzle to beyond 1000 yards.

Of the cartridges you mentioned, the only one I've ever owned is the 300WM. I sold it a few years ago, kind of got out of the magnum thing and got back to my roots, so to speak. Pretty much a .308/.270 guy.

I do like your options for the T3X or a R700 SPS stainless, I have a couple of both - real good guns right out of the box with a lot of different things you might do with them down the road. I can tell you my brother has a T3X in .300WM and accurate as it is, the recoil is unholy. This doesn't bother some folks, but I am one that it does.

So from what it sounds like you're planning to do, your -06 has surely got everything you need, but with the more open hilly country, I'd lean toward the 7mm Mag. Very flat shooting and is very appropriate for the game you mentioned. Keep in mind, all magnums kick the proverbial mule, some a bit more than others. And if you muzzle brake them the noise will make the Earth shake. The biggest reason I've moved away from them is they just aren't fun to shoot. I kinda like to shoot.

Ha! I just too noticed the age of this post, crap. Ol’ Brett is 22 years old now and prolly doesn’t even hunt anymore and lives in an apartment in Portland with his “partner”
WTH? Jan 31, 2016? I didn't notice this until I poured out my heart trying to give good advice to a young hunter. How did this even get bumped to the top?

😀

Back