7mm mag powder

Rug #1
67 graims W780
WLRM primer
3.310 OAL
140 gr. TTSX
just under 3100 fps w/ little deviation

75.5 grains of Reloader 22 is working very good for the 300 win mag 180 AB's

What powder grains do you have best success with RL-22 in a 175 grain bullet. 7mm mag obviously.

The load I'm using is 66 grains of RL-22 with the 160 grain accubonds. I want to say it's right at 3000 fps but I can't remember if that's this load or the factory stuff I was using.

I'm curious about the temperature swings you guys are talking, I'll have to go out and shoot it on a really cold day soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about it Randy. I've heard all the horror stories as well about the temp. swings. I've never seen it in my loads and I've shot my rifle at extended distances in a wide variety of temps. It has been very consistant in my experience.

I've also heard the horror stories of the lot to lot variation in RL-22. I had to switch lot numbers for the first time last summer and only had to back off 1 grain to match my velocities.

I have been using RE 22 , using 64.6 grains behind a 168 grain Berger VLD shooting them in a Browning BAR 7mm Mag. Velocities in my rifle is between 2995 fps / 3045 fps . That has been the biggest spread I have seen , shooting in the summer and fall / winter. Accuracy is always under an inch at a hundred yards , Under 1 1/2 inch's at three hundred.

KRasmussen, sorry I didn't get back to you any sooner, I think my son loads his to 3.4" which is long, he goes very close to the lands with several of his guns & not near as close on others, he spends ridiculous amounts of time tinkering with his reloads. If you want to keep experimenting I think Hornady's GMX line of bullets is lead free. Obviously every gun is different so take what I say with a grain of salt & good luck.

I have shot 160gr Accubonds with RL25, RL22, H4831 & Retumbo in my 7mm Mag with the RL powders being the best. 22 & 25 were pretty equal in accuracy but the velocity was much higher with the 25.

Been shooting some 168gr Bergers lately with H1000 with good results.

If I were shooting the Barnes bullets I would think about shooting the 140's and trying to push them as fast as I could. I've never shot any but have read that Barnes recommends a lighter bullet and shooting them fast to ensure they expand as designed.

Barnes has a new lrx out in 168 for the 7mm. they tweaked the ogive and lengthen the boattail to get higher bc's. Might be worth a look.

rl22, I have had great success with for almost a decade. I keep waiting for the inconsistencies and temp swings but have yet to experience it my self.

On a side note; I think we all need to be very careful in posting load data. Blowing yourself up is one thing but publishing something that could be dangerous to someone else is something all together different. Not only from the standpoint of responsibility for others welfare but you do open yourself up to liability for that information.

I have also found over the years that max velocity rarely equals max accuracy.

I personally would not post max loads especially without a lengthy disclaimer and warning. Just saying.

Last edited:
Barnes has a new lrx out in 168 for the 7mm. they tweaked the ogive and lengthen the boattail to get higher bc's. Might be worth a look.

rl22, I have had great success with for almost a decade. I keep waiting for the inconsistencies and temp swings but have yet to experience it my self.

On a side note; I think we all need to be very careful in posting load data. Blowing yourself up is one thing but publishing something that could be dangerous to someone else is something all together different. Not only from the standpoint of responsibility for others welfare but you do open yourself up to liability for that information.

I have also found over the years that max velocity rarely equals max accuracy.

I personally would not post max loads especially without a lengthy disclaimer and warning. Just saying.

I am going to be loading the new LRX in both 145gr and 168. I am hoping they will work as well as the older MRX in 160 did for me. I have decied to load a couple of different powders, RL22 and retumbo. Range time hopefully later this next week.

Its generally no big mystery anymore what powder 'works' for a particular cartridge/bullet combo. The load books usually list the most accurate powder tested, and its usually spot on.

I like RL22 and IMR4831. The later shoots very well in about half dozen 7mags that I've been around. Don't get hung up on speed.

I load 68 Gr H1000 in My brothers browning @ Just over 3000fps with 160gr sierra gamekings and hornady interlocks they are very accurate. It might not be the best for 140gr bullets

I did finally get some range time this afternoon. The weather here has been awesome as of late so I thought it would be a good time to get a little non-lead therapy.

RL22 63.5gr Federal 215 primers and Barnes 145gr LRX. I started at 58gr and loaded 10 of each in .5 gr increments. Max load was running 3029fps and accuracy was pretty good. I did have one shell that did not fire, bad primer, but here are the remaining 9 shots at 100 yds.

2012-02-26150050.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back