PEAX Equipment

7mm-08 ttsx 150gr

I’ve recently read that the 150 gr ttsx is not a good round for the 7-08 d/t not having the velocity for this bullet to fully expand. That the 120 gr or even the 140 gr is needed. Anybody here have good success loading the 150 gr ttsx for the 7-08?
I don't shoot mono bullet's so this is more guess than anything. In the 7mm-08 I would think the bullet would have to be seated pretty deep to clear the magazine. My guess is that the 120gr bullet above would be a better bullet. Shorter! And if you compare a bullet that normally lose's 30% of it's weight, a cup and core 150gr bullet would in theory drop to 105grs. The 120gr mono should retain 100% unless it lost a petal. Velocity and weight penetrate so in theory a 120gr mono should out proform a 150 cup and core or even partition. The question is how much proformance do you really need? As for expansion, 55 gr FMJ kill lot's of enemy soldiers in war! I like expansion but actually we generally like to much. Then again in a mono bullet, Winchester came out and said the plastic tip was to insure expansion! And do any of those bullets actually expand past the bottom of the petals?

Last edited:
I use Barnes 150 gr TTSX in my .308. I have killed piles of animals with them from deer to elk 60yds to 500+. I have recovered many of these bullets and they all have expanded well. The ones that I didn't recover killed the same and from the exit hole expanded well. I have yet to have to shoot an animal more than once with them.
I will be loading 120gr and 140gr TTSX in the 7mm08 that I just purchased. Depending on which is more accurate out of that rifle will make the decision on what I will hunt with. I will use it on everything I use the .308 on.
20211127_095759.jpg

I’ve recently read that the 150 gr ttsx is not a good round for the 7-08 d/t not having the velocity for this bullet to fully expand. That the 120 gr or even the 140 gr is needed. Anybody here have good success loading the 150 gr ttsx for the 7-08?
This is an answer to an old post, I know, but wanted to make sure anyone reading this will see some tried and tested info. I have been shooting the 150gr TSX and TTSX from three different 7mm-08 rifles (Rem 700, Browning A bolt and Browning X bolt) over the last 10+ years. I reloaded and have found H380 to be the most consistent and accurate powder in all three rifle. As for the expanding question, these rifles have taken over 30 Whitetails in the last 10 years and only one took two shots. (Actually, that deer was shot through both lungs but was shot so close it didn't know it was hit and was still walking.) At ranges from 40 yards to 250 yards and I have actually never recovered a bullet in an animal. All have exited and left decent exit holes. I have done some testing in jugs of water that showed expansion from 50 to 200. only because i don't shoot much farther than that. If in doubt, see a youtube video from expert, Ron Spomer. These bullets are true killers from the 7mm-08! And they don't leave lead bits in my neat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back