Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

7mm-08 loads

gregt9146

I am going to reload some 140 grain Accubonds for my daughters mule deer hunt for her 7mm-08. It is a Savage Axis, what are some good loads that you guys have found to be very accurate.
Thanks

The 2 I load for like 43.0 grains of varget with the 140 AB...2850 from one and 2910 from the other.

Heed the Great & Mighty Buzz ! He knoweth of what he speaketh.

I'll +2 on the Varget load. Mine shoots 42.5gr into neat little 1/2-5/8" groups.

49.5 gr of RL-15 is another very accurate load out of my 22" tube, but it does take some finesse to get it all into the case, and even then is pretty well compressed.

We have three rifles shooting 140 Accubonds with Varget. 42-43 grains for us too and my friend does the same. He has also loaded up RL17 with better velocity and great accuracy. All of our rifles (Browning Abolt, Tikka T3, and a Winchester Mod70) shoot sub MOA with these bullets and Varget.

Great results on one elk and one mule you deer so far. Hope to add 3 more Muley bucks and 3 cow elk this fall as well.

Howdy Fellas,
Brand new member "FNG" here. I just found the site and was reading through the posts and 7mm-08 with Varget and ABs got my attention.
I'm a new reloader and have found success with Varget and Accubonds in my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I worked up some loads with 140 ABs in my son's 7mm-08 but being a new reloader I didn't go above the 42 grain advised max.
41.5 gr. was an accurate load but now I'm thinking I may be missing something. (something like more velocity)

Anyone willing to share at what point they found signs of over pressure?
I duly hold harmless and will sign all releases of liability....etc

BTW- he shoots a remi 700, 20 in barrel

1st, welcome. Your question is going to be kinda hard to answer, because each rifle has it's own mind set. If you want to get technical, then there are a ton of variables that need answers to, then a run through a QL program, so that you can get a solid idea of what that rifle is actually doing. I've been going through it for about 3 months now, with the help from some guys on Nosler, and just now came to a 'close to good' answer.

For my rifle, I now know that 42.5 grs of Varget, with a 140 gr BT/AB, is a safe/accurate load. The next accurate load is 43.5 gr, but the pressures exceed max. 43.0 gr is still safe (barely), just not accurate.

At 41.5, I would think you're OK, but still......If it shoots well, take it and don't look back.

Don't chase a few extra fps, or even a 100, at the cost of safety.

Thanks Gunner,
Had a great day at the range with my son and his friend today. Got a little nervous when his first three shot group looked like an open choke shotgun. Wrote that off as an excited teenager who had already gone through a bunch of shot gunning clays and shooting "fun" guns and pistols... anyways good stuff
He settled done and shot two pretty tight groups under an inch and he was very pleased with himself.
I think we found the recipe.-with Varget and AB
As far as safety and pressure, I was just curious as to a ballpark when shooters have noticed the signs of over pressure. For now at my level I stop at or below what the pros state.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back