Caribou Gear

7 Deer Hunting Myths Debunked

What I find interesting is that idiot who responded to the original article who says whitetails are on the verge of extinction.
LMAO!!

Research showed that deer didn't vacate summer/fall habitat in the Missouri Breaks when under duress--how they used the terrain did change. This was done in the 90's and Mackie was the author if I recall. I only mention this because most of what that article mentions is oriented toward the East; some patterns hold true of cervids across species and habitats.

Breeding season in ungulates is primarily driven by photoperiod influences on pituitary function, and therefore testosterone release. Specific, day-to-day behavior can be modified by weather/temp, but it's a modifier not driver. I did an annotated bibliography on antler formation/growth/function, which is also a hormonally oriented process of course.

Research showed that deer didn't vacate summer/fall habitat in the Missouri Breaks when under duress--how they used the terrain did change. This was done in the 90's and Mackie was the author if I recall. I only mention this because most of what that article mentions is oriented toward the East; some patterns hold true of cervids across species and habitats.
IIRC those same use patterns, changes and not left the country, were shown in Starkey with livestock and different types of recreational uses.

I'm originally from PA and grew up hunting there so I found the following link a good read. Insane how adaptable and responsive deer can be.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/about

They published an early article noting how deer could spend all seasons in certain areas near food and cover, etc. However, upon the beginning of rifle season (PA rifle season is a pumpkin patch) deer wound be found in areas that they hadn't been in since the prior rifle season. When researchers went to those areas to see the landscape they found you often could see more than 15 feet due to how thick it was and deer would frequently allow people to closely pass without leaving cover.

What I find interesting is that idiot who responded to the original article who says whitetails are on the verge of extinction.
LMAO!!

That's true! We're down to 20 million now in the US. We better stop shooting them. :D

Another fact to throw at the tree huggers. In 1900 we had only 500,00 in the US.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back