Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

680 MT Sheep Tag

Hunting The 406

Hello all,

Montana resident here, new to the forums.

I put in for a 680 Ram tag this year for the first time in my life with no prior points. Last week I received a envelope with the "big three" regulations booklet in it, I thought this was strange, until I discovered a letter behind the booklet. I about jumped out of my pants after reading it, as it stated that I had been successful in drawing a big horn sheep tag for 680.

I have heard stories of folks putting in for a tag like this their whole lives and never drawing, and with that being said, I know this may anger some folks, but that is not the intent of this post.

I am not very familiar with the Missouri Breaks area, and am reaching out to any who might be willing to point me in the right direction to get started. I plan on making some phone calls this week to some folks that have hunted the area, as well as start hiking/scouting the area.

Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated, I know this will be the hunt of a lifetime, so I want to get all my ducks in a row well in advance.

Thanks! :D

Dang, of all the ways to make an introduction. Congrats. Hope you have a great hunt.

Congratulations to you my friend! What a tag. I wish you the best of luck and a wonderful summer and fall looking for your sheep. I hope you get a big one!

David

It was year number 38 in a row for me and not drawing a tag for moose and sheep! Appreciate it and enjoy it!

Wow! What are the odds!? Congrats on the tag. Hope you have a great hunt.

Congrats! You're a lucky dude. I'll be in the same unit this year doing the same thing except ill just be classing and helping pack one out Hopefully. I've already been helping research for my wife for the last two weeks. The phone numbers on the purple sheet are very helpful as well as reaching out to previous tagholders. You're in a great situation too being so close to the unit. Id run over to the havre blm office for a nap and to talk and stop by the local fwp office. Hope this helps.

You live in Havre and you haven't spent time in the breaks? What the hell do you do in your spare time?

I'd start by looking at the past 5-10 years trophy forms for all rams taken out of 680. Plot them on a map. Locate all of your legal access points. Go find your ram.

Good luck.

Congrats on drawing my tag :)

Have fun with the process. I would love to have an excuse to hike around the Breaks for a month or so. Look over as many Rams as you can - and start to review pictures of big Rams, how to field judge them and what it is you are looking for. It is a special hunt. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. And No I haven't bought any lotto tickets lately, I think my luck got spent for awhile when I drew this tag!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back