Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

6.5 PRC

I am actually looking at it also just sold my man bun to fund it possibly. I am throwing around a CA mesa in either the 6.5prc or in a 7mm-08. My only concern is that maybe it's just a fad. Not much to choose from with factory ammo that I can see. Not really crazy about getting something that may not stick around and then have to reload or have issues finding brass.

Hornady, Nosler and Federal are currently offering factory ammo. With Hornady supporting the load I think there will always be ammo for the 6.5 PRC. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a rifle chambered in it, if they ever quit making ammo you can give it to me.

I think the 6.5 PRC would be a really nice cartridge to have to hunt and shoot with. Now maybe you should take something like I did when I found a nice Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in 270 and got it for a good price. I took it to my gunsmith and had a new barrel put on and other work and bam I now have a 280AI. I know we are talking 6.5's here so this is my thinking. Pick up a used rifle and have it turned into something semi-custom! I'm thinking a 6.5-06 with a 24" match grade 1-8 twist barrel would be just as good and it was be very special to you as not everyone had one. Very simple to run 25-06 over an expander ball and load it up and presto you have a 6.5-06. The ballistics are almost identical between those two and the 6.5-284.

We are here to help you............................spend your money!

I am actually looking at it also just sold my man bun to fund it possibly. I am throwing around a CA mesa in either the 6.5prc or in a 7mm-08. My only concern is that maybe it's just a fad. Not much to choose from with factory ammo that I can see. Not really crazy about getting something that may not stick around and then have to reload or have issues finding brass.
How ironic. The CA Mesa is the reason I’m considering the cartridge. I just received a response from CA in which they said they are now offering the Mesa left handed model in 6.5 PRC, along with 300 win, 300 PRC, and 28 Nosler. I really like the 28 but already have a 300 win and I feel they are somewhat similar. Decisions....decisions. 6.5 PRC would make a sexy medium to long range coues gun.

I already own a CA mesa LR and I absolutely love it in a 300win mag. It's a tack driver. I was thinking I'd like to get the lighter version for a backpack gun in the mentioned calibers for elk and deer. The round seems very impressive to me with light recoil.

my next rifle is a CA ridgeline Ti in 6.5 PRC mainly cause i have thousands of 6.5 bullets laying around i would like to use some up. to me its a modernized 6.5x284 and think it will stick but will never be completely main-stream

Sounds like this may be my covid 19 bonus once they become available. Can’t lie though, 28 Nosler is badass too

If your considering the Christensen Arms check out eurooptic they have them in stock and on sale. I have done business with them before buying custom actions and scopes, they were good and easy to deal with.

If your considering the Christensen Arms check out eurooptic they have them in stock and on sale. I have done business with them before buying custom actions and scopes, they were good and easy to deal with.

Great to know, thank you!

I started accumulating parts for a 6.5 PRC build. Good options for high quality brass. This is a cartridge that is here to stay!

I shoot a "custom" 6.5 PRC as a hunting rifle with factory Hornady ammo and it works just fine for animals up to elk sized. Just realize it was meant to be a "long range" rifle. Inside of 300 yards, it could be a pass through shot. If long range is not your cup of tea, then maybe a 7mm-08 with some heavies might be a better option.

Browning and winchester said the WSSMs were going to be the best to beat. Ballistics in each was good. But with limitted companies producing ammo, the fad passed. Its hard finding brass to reload too. So if you dont reload yourself, finding a range of available ammo I think could be a issue in a few years. Depending on your area, shelf space could be small for your store to put prc ammo on it compared to more popular. So your idea of the 7-08 or 6.5 creed may be a better choice.

I built a 6.5 PRC on a spare Winchester 300 WSM that I had taking up space last year. Sent the barreled action to Benchmark and ordered a B&C Ultralight with bottom metal. They cut the barrel profile the same as factory so it is still in the factory flimsy plastic stock, but it shoots like a dream, soft recoil in a sub 8lb rifle. After waiting 10 months for Stockys to get the bottom metal in, changed my order and went with the unfinished stainless that they had in stock, should have the new stock Tuesday. Bedded in a stiffer stock should make this a tack driver. Currently working up loads using the Barnes 127LRX. The Benchmark barrel is fast also, 100fps faster than what Hornady lists on the box with a 24" barrel. Fun round and it will be around for quite a while I'm thinking.

Just got my tracking number for the Seekins Havok PH2 in 6.5PRC I sold 3 guns to fund this project as being a responsible spouse I told her that no new money would be spent. I will not miss guns I have not shot in a decade, so no problem there. This will be my mid-weight rifle for short to medium hikes. Should come in around 10 pounds set up.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back