6.5 Grendel optic?

MThuntr

I'm acquiring a 6.5 Grendel Upper in exchange for some firewood. It's a low end NIB Bear Creek Arsenal 20" side charge. I'm not entirely sure I have any plans for it right now. Thinking it'll be a fun varmint rifle with some 90gr bullets but also considering the 123 SST or similar to shoot steel as far as possible. You already know I'll be shooting a Hammer Bullet of some sort for deer/antelope hunting.

Thoughts on a budget optic to match a budget upper?

Vortex Diamondback would be my vote. Hell of a scope that tracks true, has good glass, and holds zero. I won't list the warranty as a pro because that's frowned upon here.

I know it's not super inexpensive, but a 1-4x24 SWFA would be up there for me. It's a good value.

I keep forgetting about SS scopes...I've never actually owned one. At the rate of finding 6.5 Grendel brass I may have a few extra pesos saved for one by the time I find reasonably priced brass
Unfortunately you just missed their black friday sale. They usually do a tax day sale as well, nothing huge but maybe 10% off or so. Sometimes 4th of July too if I recall.

The Cabela's AR scopes are amazing for the money. The 1-6 is extremely useful for the closer work:

If you want more range or more magnification, look at the Cabela's Covenant line:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leupold 180626 VX-3HD CDS-ZL Matte Black 1.5-5x20mm 30mm Tube Illuminated FireDot Twilight Hunter Reticle Is my recommendation. I can get you a sweet deal on one

I used a Grendel for awhile in some steel target competitions. The rifle was surprisingly accurate and fun. You mention shooting steel at distances, for that I need more magnification. I've never owned an Athlon scope, but know quite a few guys who seem happy with theirs. Also, I have a friend who likes his Diamondback Tactical, but no personal experience there.

What kind of mag range are you wanting?
That's the thing I don't really know. I like the idea of something low range like 1-6x or similar but then I kind of like the idea of something up to 14 or 15X.

I have a Gen 1 Athlon Ares 2.5-15 on a rifle I don't shoot much that I got back when the clearanced them for like $200.

Last edited:
I know everyone is different but I haven’t had any trouble shooting steel to 600 with 6x.

Back