Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

6.5 Grendel load for deer?

wisconsinteacher

i would like to develop a load for my 6.5 Grendel. What bullet would you use for deer hunting out of a Grendel? It is accurate with 107gr target bullets.

I have have thought about a Grendel upper one of my AR's.

If so, I would seriously consider a 90 to 100 grain standard soft point Hornady, Speer or Sierra or slightly lighter all copper Barnes or Hammer.

Dangerous thread. I don't own a Grendel. I don't need a Grendel. So far, I've left it there, but if you start talking about practical uses for one, I may have to explain to my wife why I have bought another gun. If you find that good deer bullet, it seems like it would be a fun low-recoil deer and predator gun.

QQ

I've had really good accuracy with 120gr gold dots (bonded) also check the selection of bullets from Hammer.
My best accuracy has been with 120gr Sierras, which hangs around .3 MOA.
130ELDM are a close second as far as accuracy.

For hunting bullets I would stay in the 100-120 grain range.

k-deer-c.jpg

406-doe-deer.jpg

IMG-0908.jpg

All taken with a Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel, this year.
We are using a 123 Hornady sst and 8208.
all under 200 yards but maybe 150.
All one shot, DBL lung shots.

I've taken 2 deer and 3 lopes with a 120gr ballistic tip. That being said, I plan on working on a partition load if nosler ever stocks shelves again. 100 gr were actually a little more accurate, but I like the extra energy for deer with the 120s. I would not begrudge anyone who used 100 grs though, definitely a good choice as well.

3 WT deer shot with my Grendels so far this season, but none by me.

First was by my son - 160ish yards, button buck, 123 SST over H4895; bang -flop through high shoulder with no exit wound

Second two by my neighbor’s son - 1.5yr old deer, 100gr NPTs over H4895; pass-throughs with adequate blood trail, and deer recovered well within 100yd

125 NPTs may be better overall, but I couldn’t find them when developing loads and settled for the 100s. Will likely try some light Hammers later as I continue to tinker.

I think a Hornady ELD-M would be a pretty great deer bullet out of a Grendel.

I will second the speer gold-dot my rifle loves them, I tried putting one through a deer a few weeks ago but couldn't find one that day.

I use Sierra Pro Hunters and Nosler Ballistic Tips, both in 120gr over IMR 8208

I'm trying hard to not build a Grendel, and this isn't helping. Also not helping, the 150 rounds of new Hornady brass on my reloading bench that I snagged if I decided to build one.
I like your logic. It’s always good to purchase ammo for a rifle that you do not yet own, but may own in the future. Of course, this puts absolutely no pressure or temptation on you to purchase said rifle ;)

I like your logic. It’s always good to purchase ammo for a rifle that you do not yet own, but may own in the future. Of course, this puts absolutely no pressure or temptation on you to purchase said rifle ;)
I have a spare SBR AR15 lower kicking around and the desire to build a 12" Grendel, but I've been floating the idea for a couple years, and the panic really pushed the prices up. So I think I'll wait, or maybe just move the brass along to someone else. In the meantime, I got another 260 Remington and had it cut and threaded at 17", so it fills that niche without adding another caliber.

If I could find powder... I would load up 100gr ballistic tips. They crush deer out of my 260. Also and considering 99gr Hammers. I have a couple hundred hornady sst factory that don't shoot so well but work for now. Super fun little rifle.

Are you guys finding any nosler partitions or BTs? I cam find Hornady all day long, Noslers are non existent in the places I've searched

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back