6.5 Grendel load for deer?

I shoot Hornady Black 123 eld match. Very accurate. It's great for deer and hogs. I'd limit my shots on deer with this round to 200 and under though. I would use a bonded or copper bullet for further shots. We actually did a necropsy on the round.

I'm waiting on brass for mine...I have a ton of 123SSTs and CFE223 that will likely be my go to combo however I'm think 99gr Hammer Hunter (and IMR4198) for hunting. In this case it seems that the 99 has an advantage over the lighter bullets and achieves nearly identical velocities with improved ballistics.

The factory Hornady 123SSTs are a great all around round. If you want something tougher and are sure enough of your range and terminal velocity Barnes has a 115gr TTSX factory load (also a great hog round).

I personally lean towards the copper bullets. For me, I value a bullet that penetrates and stays together over expansion (I think it's the bowhunter in me). I also hate the idea of lead fragments in 1/3 of my meat.

If I could find powder... I would load up 100gr ballistic tips. They crush deer out of my 260. Also and considering 99gr Hammers. I have a couple hundred hornady sst factory that don't shoot so well but work for now. Super fun little rifle.
I don't use bullet's that light in my 6.5's. If I did I would consider that 99gr Hammer bullet. Reason being I'm not sure a 100gr lead core bullet would function that well. Problem with me is I believe 6.5 bullets are generally designed to work well at higher velocity. That a 100gr ballistic tip "crush's" deer from a 260 I would think is because it is pretty much destroying the bullet inside. I noticed in my 25-06 that 100gr bullet's really put deer down fast but also did a lot of damage inside, more than I wanted. Went to a 117gr bullet and deer all died but generally walked off a few yds then simply layed down dead unless CNS was hit. Talking about a lot of difference in velocity in the two especially compared to the 6.5 Grendal. Were it me I think I'd stick to bullets designed for the game. The 100gr Hornady is designed for varmints and med game but I would definitely feel better with the 99gr Hammer were it me. I'm pretty sure it's designed for med game! And I am not a big fan of monolithic bullets. On the other hand the 100gr lead core bullet properly place will work well.

I don't use bullet's that light in my 6.5's. If I did I would consider that 99gr Hammer bullet. Reason being I'm not sure a 100gr lead core bullet would function that well. Problem with me is I believe 6.5 bullets are generally designed to work well at higher velocity. That a 100gr ballistic tip "crush's" deer from a 260 I would think is because it is pretty much destroying the bullet inside. I noticed in my 25-06 that 100gr bullet's really put deer down fast but also did a lot of damage inside, more than I wanted. Went to a 117gr bullet and deer all died but generally walked off a few yds then simply layed down dead unless CNS was hit. Talking about a lot of difference in velocity in the two especially compared to the 6.5 Grendal. Were it me I think I'd stick to bullets designed for the game. The 100gr Hornady is designed for varmints and med game but I would definitely feel better with the 99gr Hammer were it me. I'm pretty sure it's designed for med game! And I am not a big fan of monolithic bullets. On the other hand the 100gr lead core bullet properly place will work well.
Meah. I've killed a ton of deer with 6.5, 243, 22 cals, etc. I wasn't impressed with the heavier bullets, sure they killed but it wasn't nearly as fast and they walked off. I'm a fan of speed.

I'm not convinced a hammer is really going to get me anything that a ballistic tip wouldn't. I'm not that worried about terminal performance, it will work. I'm so convinced that they will be loaded for a sheep hunt... :D

Meah. I've killed a ton of deer with 6.5, 243, 22 cals, etc. I wasn't impressed with the heavier bullets, sure they killed but it wasn't nearly as fast and they walked off. I'm a fan of speed.

I'm not convinced a hammer is really going to get me anything that a ballistic tip wouldn't. I'm not that worried about terminal performance, it will work. I'm so convinced that they will be loaded for a sheep hunt... :D
If you are a fan of speed, Hammers will provide it. I'd load a Hammer before a Ballistic Tip. And yeah, I've used both. mtmuley

If you are a fan of speed, Hammers will provide it. I'd load a Hammer before a Ballistic Tip. And yeah, I've used both. mtmuley
A Grendel shoots at the speed of smell... even with light bullets.

I may end up with hammers, because I think Nosler gave up making 100gr 6.5. I may even end up shooting, gasp, Sierras. Finding some and powder will be the biggest hurdle.

I’m in the process of setting one up now , 85 hammers. Currently looking for powder, I’ll update as I go.
I'm waiting on brass for mine...I have a ton of 123SSTs and CFE223 that will likely be my go to combo however I'm think 99gr Hammer Hunter (and IMR4198) for hunting. In this case it seems that the 99 has an advantage over the lighter bullets and achieves nearly identical velocities with improved ballistics.
Any updates on these Hammers? Loads or on-game performance?

k-deer-c.jpg

406-doe-deer.jpg

IMG-0908.jpg

All taken with a Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel, this year.
We are using a 123 Hornady sst and 8208.
all under 200 yards but maybe 150.
All one shot, DBL lung shots.
Very nice buck!

Any updates on these Hammers? Loads or on-game performance?
Sadly no. I had a bad upper from Bear Creek Arsenal and finally purged their garbage in the fall. I threw together a load with 123sst and cfe223 for a new Palmetto State. upper and killed a whitetail at 209 yards with it...bang flop style.

New hammers will ger ordered as soon as I do an inventory of my current hammers.

Might try over on the Hammer forum and check out their Load data

Sadly no. I had a bad upper from Bear Creek Arsenal and finally purged their garbage in the fall. I threw together a load with 123sst and cfe223 for a new Palmetto State. upper and killed a whitetail at 209 yards with it...bang flop style.

New hammers will ger ordered as soon as I do an inventory of my current hammers.

Might try over on the Hammer forum and check out their Load data
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I had the same problem with BCA. The replacement upper that they sent me was good though, it just took forever and a day to get it from them.

The reason that I ask about the Hammers is for my other Grendel, a Howa mini. It really seems to shoot everything well, but I have loved the on-game performance of the 100gr NPTs that are apparently made of rainbow dust and unicorn farts. CANNOT FIND THEM ANYWHERE! I’m down to just a little under 20 rounds loaded with them and I’m starting to get a bad nervous twitch in my left eye, if you know what I mean.

I also like the 100gr NPTs because they have a very similar POI to the load that I’ve developed with the discontinued 85gr Sierra Varminter that I bought a bunch of on clearance for a great price. They are my go-to cheap practice round.

I’m trying to find something that performs similarly to the 100gr NPT in that weight class that is available, and I’m trying to decide between the 99gr or 85gr HH, or the 97gr AH. I have been able to find the 125 NPTs recently, but they are incredibly expensive and likely won’t have the same POI as my 85gr practice load. I used to be a member of the Hammertime forum, but apparently I’ve been purged since I haven’t been on there in so long. Last I knew not many people on there had messed with the Grendel and Hammers.

Let me know which one you go with and how load development goes.

I’d like to add that I have plenty of confidence in broadside shots on deer with any of the following, but I don’t trust them at close range quartering-to shots and that’s why I’m looking for a “premium” bullet:
123 SST
123 ELDM
123 Amax
120 NBT

I also want to love these two, but I can’t get the speed and accuracy that I want with my rifle:
129 ABLR
129 Interlock

Where I hunt is thick, and I often can’t just wait for the deer to turn broadside. I also just like the point of the shoulder shot for anchoring the deer, and there’s not a lot of meat on the shoulder anyhow.

From Hammer's Forum. There are guys that swear by the 99gr Hammer for deer and one guy was even using them for Aoudad. Of the powders guys are using 8208XBR is probably one of the most consistent powders.

1)
99gr Hammer Hunter
Hornady Brass
CCI 450 primer
IMR 8208xbr
29.0gr : 2598 fps
29.5gr : 2627 fps
30.0gr : 2653 fps
30.5gr : 2742 fps
31.0gr : 2820 fps

2)
99gr Hammer Hunter
Hornady brass
CCI 450 primer
Ramshot TAC powder
29.5gr : no reading
30.0gr : 2692 fps
30.5gr : 2780 fps
31.0gr : 2798 fps
31.5gr : 2867 fps

3)
Howa Mini 1500, 6.5 Grendel 1:8 20 inch barrel
Hornady 1 fired brass
27.5 gr Hodgdon 335 powder
Federal GGM205M primer
Book OAL 2.60

4)
99 grain Hammer Hunter. 30.5 grains XBR 8208 @ 2800

From Hammer's Forum. There are guys that swear by the 99gr Hammer for deer and one guy was even using them for Aoudad. Of the powders guys are using 8208XBR is probably one of the most consistent powders.

1)
99gr Hammer Hunter
Hornady Brass
CCI 450 primer
IMR 8208xbr
29.0gr : 2598 fps
29.5gr : 2627 fps
30.0gr : 2653 fps
30.5gr : 2742 fps
31.0gr : 2820 fps

2)
99gr Hammer Hunter
Hornady brass
CCI 450 primer
Ramshot TAC powder
29.5gr : no reading
30.0gr : 2692 fps
30.5gr : 2780 fps
31.0gr : 2798 fps
31.5gr : 2867 fps

3)
Howa Mini 1500, 6.5 Grendel 1:8 20 inch barrel
Hornady 1 fired brass
27.5 gr Hodgdon 335 powder
Federal GGM205M primer
Book OAL 2.60

4)
99 grain Hammer Hunter. 30.5 grains XBR 8208 @ 2800
I have Tac, Benchmark, and H4895. I’d be happy with 2800fps with a 99gr bullet. Just didn’t know if the 85gr may have some advantage due to greater velocity. I’ve never messed with HHs or AHs, but I understand the Absolutes can be a bit more problematic to develop loads for yet give better velocity

I have Tac, Benchmark, and H4895. I’d be happy with 2800fps with a 99gr bullet. Just didn’t know if the 85gr may have some advantage due to greater velocity. I’ve never messed with HHs or AHs, but I understand the Absolutes can be a bit more problematic to develop loads for yet give better velocity
The 85gr can get to probably 3100fps depending on barrel length so it'll hold an edge on the 99gr out to about 275 yards then the 99gr catches up and holds a slight advantage beyond 300. At 450 yards they are both traveling too slowly to expand reliably (1800fps) which for the 6.5Grendel is pretty dang good in my books.

The 97gr AH tops out around 2950fps based on available data but its velocity is quickly overcome by poor BC so the 99gr still wins.

There is a guy over there using the 109 AH and pushing them 2750-2800 with Shooters World Tac. Of course his data is missing since they built a new forum and it wasn't copied over. That bullet should have enough velocity to expand to about 500 yards but I think that might be pushing it. I see new data where a guy is pushing some 109s up into the 3000+ range but is blowing primers and has case issues so I'd say his data is dangerous.

I’ll never shoot over 250 with this rifle, likely keep it under 200. I’m probably going to try the 85s based upon a recommendation from my brother. I’m hoping to actually have time to develop a load, though

I shoot Hornady Black 123 eld match. Very accurate. It's great for deer and hogs. I'd limit my shots on deer with this round to 200 and under though. I would use a bonded or copper bullet for further shots. We actually did a necropsy on the round.

The bolded is counter intuitive. The further you go, the less bullets disrupt/expand. Using a harder bullet in a diminutive cartridge at longer ranges = lousy wound channels.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back