Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

6.5-284 Norma?

marksjeep

Anyone running one? Likes? Dislikes?

I have an itch for something in 6.5mm and 6.5-284 has come up on the very short list. It's fast, can throw the 140's, and is renowned for its accuracy. It can be a barrel burner but not as bad as 264WM, 26 Nosler. 6.5 SAUM caught my eye as well, but I'm just not sold on it. Hornady brass seems to suck, and brass prep from parent cases is a PITA.

I don't intend to hunt uber-long distances with it, but having the option on the table for long pokes is never bad.

Just looking for anyone's personal experience with the cartridge.

Thanks!
Mark

I used to have a custom built 6mmx284 some years ago. Fun cartridge for sure and damn accurate, this was long before the creedmoor took off. I never had a problem with the Hornady brass that I would neck down from 6.5.

I have a 6.5/284 HS precision rifle with a 24” barrel and am able to get 2920fps out of it with 140 bergers. I use lapua brass. Note the books download this cartridge a lot. I don’t feel it is anymore of a barrel than anything else.

I have killed a Dall Sheep and plenty of whitetails with the 6.5 x .284. I shoot the 140 berger VLD’s and they are devastating. The round is super accurate, flat shooting, and won’t kick you like a mule.

Yes, they are supposed to be a barrel burner. That said 600 rounds is a lot for me as we don’t shoot ground hogs in MD. I also have a 6.5 x 47 which is another tack driver.

Good info all, thanks. 6.5-06 was the original plan. Actually, 6.5-06 improved was the original plan. My smith, who is a huge fan of improved cartridges, said to just go 6.5-06 or 6.5-284. He feels 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 are so close ballistically, it matters not. And he doesn't feel the improved version of the 6.5-06 is worth the work over the 6.5-06.

Anyone try the Barnes 127 LRX bullets? I know the 140 Bergers are hot, but I've had great performance with the LRX out of other rifles.

Thanks all!

Not the caliber you asked about, but have you considered a 7 SAUM? I have a Model Seven in 7 SAUM with the factory 22" barrel and get 2950 fps with 160 grain Accubonds.

A 6.5-280 Ackley would be pretty fun to play with. Nosler has 280'ackley brass. All you'd need was a bushing die and the proper bushings. Wife's plain Jane 6.5-06 launches 130 grain swift scirocco at 3150fps. Its a fun gun

As much as I hate "new" cartridges but have you looked into the 6.5 SPC or the 6.5 Sherman (or Sherman Short mag)...if you're going to mess with custom loads you just as well go head first

My go-to rifle is a 700 Mountain Rifle in 280AI, so I was looking for something a little different than 7mm. The rifle is light, has a handy 22" barrel, and shoots right at MOA. Probably pretty close to that model seven (great rifle!) It's got decent recoil though, nothing magnum-like but it would be a handful for either of my kids. One of the benefits to anything 6.5 seems to be very light recoil. I plan to throw a brake on it as well, so recoil should be minimal.

I like that Lapua and Norma have good brass available for 6.5-284. I've read a bit on the 6.5 PRC and the Sherman. Both are interesting, but I'm really leaning toward a standardized cartridge this go-around, hence the interest in the 6.5-284 and soliciting the experience of others.

Thanks all! Appreciate the info.

My only advice would be to skip the muzzle break. Honestly it’s not needed. If you think it truely is needed, drop down and just do the 6.5x 47 with a 130 Berger VLD.

I’ve been shooting the 6.5x284 for the past several years. Started out shooting 140gr Berger and have now switched to 143gr hornady eld-x. Both shoot around 2940fps with retumbo. Rifle has taken at least 5 each of antelope, mule deer, and elk, and 1 mtn goat. Most shots have been around 400 with the longest being 550...very happy with the rifle, and it’s just a factory savage with handloads.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention and opportunity to win a Cooper Backcountry 6.5x284 in the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers fall giveaway...someone has to win.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/hunting2017

Overall, the cartridge is a great option with great brass available. The 6.5 PRC is interesting, now that it is the only short mag offering in a factory load I'm curious if it gains traction it a field flooded with options.

Thank you for not being remiss. There are some great opportunities in that sweepstakes. :)

Rem700 action followed me home, with a Grayboe stock and Hawkins bottom metal.

Heading to the smith tomorrow. Why the love from some for 6.5-06 over the 6.5-284?

I appreciate the input and insight from all.

We have killed deer in PA. with it to 1100 yds. with 140 Amaxs. What more do you need?

Thank you for not being remiss. There are some great opportunities in that sweepstakes. :)

Rem700 action followed me home, with a Grayboe stock and Hawkins bottom metal.

Heading to the smith tomorrow. Why the love from some for 6.5-06 over the 6.5-284?

I appreciate the input and insight from all.
My guess is cheaper brass, better feeding, and more rounds in the magazine. All that said, if the 700 is a long action, I'd still be leaning for the X284 version because I prefer to use Lapua brass and it can be had off the shelf. If it's a short action, I'd really lean hard towards the 6.5 PRC.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back