Yeti GOBOX Collection

$500 Spotting scope

isu22andy

Anyone have any ideas for a quality spotting scope for around 500 dollars. Must be a straight body. Was thinking Leupold Gold Ring compact 15-30 x 50 but I dont know if itll be enough power. Using it for Muleys Antelopes Turkeys Whitetails and eventually elk. I know I wish I could spend more but Id rather spend my money on tags.

I just bought a compact gold ring 15-30. Watched a few deer around home about 3/4 of a mile away. Had no trouble distinguishing rack size from there. I'm happy. Got it on Amazon for $419

I snagged that scope off eBay last fall, it's a good little scope. Not super clear at 30x but still good enough to count points. It saved me some hiking on my deer hunt last year when I couldn't quite tell with my binos if far-off deer were bucks or does.

I used a friend's Leupold GR 15-30x on a sheep hunt and it was great. Light weight and clear glass.

I went a little cheaper and bought a Vortex 20-60x60 ($350). The 20x is really nice, but the 60x is almost useless except under perfect conditions (subject in direct sunlight with no heat distortion and low humidity) and/or close range. For $500 maybe there is a Vortex HD (high density glass) spotter that would be as good as the Leupold, otherwise, go with the Leupold.

I have the Vortex spotters in my future, maybe, get if I can spare the cash list of things I want.
I don't use a spotting scope much, so bought a crappy Barska for less than $50 a few years ago.
I will upgrade if I start to need it more.
Not much open country here where I hunt. Use it mostly for target shooting. But, I'm sure it will get me by till I can afford better and will use it in Wyoming this fall.
It may not be much better than nothing but it wasn't costly and it is still in my opinion, better than nothing.
Won't be scoring game at the mile marker and beyond, obviously with the El' cheapo I have. But I think it is sufficient enough to tell small game from quality game and rocks and stumps from deer.

The 50mm Nikon and Leupold are good scopes, especially if you are worried about weight. I have used the Nikon ED50 for a couple years and it has been great. The longer I have it the more I use it. The first couple of years I didnt use it near as much, but now I bust it out on a regular basis.

For hunts where weight is not as important I just picked up a used 60mm Leupold Gold Ring. I really excited about the added magnification, but it does add a fair amount of weight.

I would like to echo what a couple others have said about Vortex and Leupold making great optics with wonder warranties. You can save a lot of money by buying used optics and with Leupold and Nikon you never have to worry about them because you can send them back if any

Back