MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

5 day trip for pheasant in December. Where would you go?

Must be tall grass to show over all the snow?

I'd go wherever these people who write four paragraphs and five posts tell you not to go...

Must be tall grass to show over all the snow?
Yeah, it looks like the wild millet (?) stuff I see where I'm hunting now. Very tall (6'+) Pheasants love it but snow is still drifted underneath. It stood up to the blizzard winds much better than cattails and bullrushes. Stalks are tough and reed-like.

I see a lot of drifting in the background of that photo. Not sure conditions are much better than Malta. Couldn't be much worse.

Yeah, it looks like the wild millet (?) stuff I see where I'm hunting now. Very tall (6'+) Pheasants love it but snow is still drifted underneath. It stood up to the blizzard winds much better than cattails and bullrushes. Stalks are tough and reed-like.

I see a lot of drifting in the background of that photo. Not sure conditions are much better than Malta. Couldn't be much worse.
That’s what I was thinking. Grass is 6-8’ tall and has about 2-4’ of snow hidden in it. Deadly stuff.

Is reed canary? Am I taking crazy pills?

Is reed canary? Am I taking crazy pills?
I suspect he’s talking about phragmites and no, it’s smooth brome and crested wheatgrass in the road ditch. Maybe knee high.

FWIW, I spent every day this weekend calling coyotes between Saco and Scobey. Put 5 miles on the boots yesterday in this:
2836B316-AA96-4089-8D9F-DD67F2194145.jpeg
0D70847C-BFFE-410E-8967-41913DD40A95.jpeg
I’ve hiked a lot farther in a lot worse. The mud was far worse to walk in than the snow. Scobey right now has much less snow than this area did. Not seeing a ton of birds through there the last couple years, but I haven’t hunted it specifically for birds either.

This is a very mild late season. Many years we’re slogging cattails at -20 and actual drifts by now. You guys should have very decent conditions. Tip: don’t kill yourselves walking cattail sloughs all day. They aren’t sitting in there all day when it’s this nice. By mid-morning, find some grass.

I suspect he’s talking about phragmites and no, it’s smooth brome and crested wheatgrass in the road ditch. Maybe knee high.

FWIW, I spent every day this weekend calling coyotes between Saco and Scobey. Put 5 miles on the boots yesterday in this:
View attachment 165314
View attachment 165316
I’ve hiked a lot farther in a lot worse. The mud was far worse to walk in than the snow. Scobey right now has much less snow than this area did. Not seeing a ton of birds through there the last couple years, but I haven’t hunted it specifically for birds either.

This is a very mild late season. Many years we’re slogging cattails at -20 and actual drifts by now. You guys should have very decent conditions. Tip: don’t kill yourselves walking cattail sloughs all day. They aren’t sitting in there all day when it’s this nice. By mid-morning, find some grass.
Do you have any recommendations for the best ice axe and crampons for late season pheasants?

View attachment 165314
View attachment 165316

lmaaaooo I had said smooth brome first and then edited to say reed canary. I’m a dummy.

I really don’t wanna bust cattails so I’ll take that tip to heart.

How was the coyote hunting? Thinking of taking my rifle with, if only to do some target shooting at distances I can’t in MN.

lmaaaooo I had said smooth brome first and then edited to say reed canary. I’m a dummy.

I really don’t wanna bust cattails so I’ll take that tip to heart.

How was the coyote hunting? Thinking of taking my rifle with, if only to do some target shooting at distances I can’t in MN.
Sucked. First I blamed it on the crappy shirtsleeve weather, but on second thought they might have all died in those mondo drifts.🤷🏻‍♀️

I did see Richardson’s ground squirrels out today over there. And no shortage of rabbits.

Sucked. First I blamed it on the crappy shirtsleeve weather, but on second thought they might have all died in those mondo drifts.🤷🏻‍♀️

I did see Richardson’s ground squirrels out today over there. And no shortage of rabbits.
I feel bad shooting bunnies and ground squirrels. If calling in coyotes wasn’t such sport I’d feel bad blasting them shits too.

The crusted snow up there looks about the same as here. Weather was not nice enough for shirtsleeves over the weekend but almost. Not warm enough for mud anywhere here. Frost on shaded pavement stayed through the day. Wednesday is supposed to be near fifty but then back to freezing and below before the weekend. No end to crunchiness in sight. The birds here are hit very hard and in the cattails most of the day because that's safest. Also two packs of coyotes raiding on top of crusted snow at night and working the edge of cattails on the lake keep them jumpy. Pheasants are feeding heavily on Russian olive. Pretty much exclusively. No grain fields ... that aren't posted. Not seeing birds in them now anyway. Snow and raptors probably the reason. Pheasants are usually sitting in the olive trees early in the morning but take off a hundred yards away from us and into cattails. All tall field grass is flattened. Wild roses and snowberries still standing but naked and with snow in them. Poor cover. Haven't found a bird in the stuff since the blizzard. Not even the hens are holding here now. But at least there are birds and lots of them. Hinsdale was a wash. Impossible noisy hunting conditions, three days ago anyway. And no birds.

One less coyote to worry about south of Chinook. Shot through the heart on the fly at sixty yards. He came out of the bottom of the coulee and was running across a huge hard drift on the lee side. Slid to the bottom after I flattened him.20201129_110147.jpg

Last edited:
The crusted snow up there looks about the same as here. Weather was not nice enough for shirtsleeves over the weekend but almost. Not warm enough for mud anywhere here. Frost on shaded pavement stayed through the day. Wednesday is supposed to be near fifty but then back to freezing and below before the weekend. No end to crunchiness in sight. The birds here are hit very hard and in the cattails most of the day because that's safest. Also two packs of coyotes raiding on top of crusted snow at night and working the edge of cattails on the lake keep them jumpy. Pheasants are feeding heavily on Russian olive. Pretty much exclusively. No grain fields ... that aren't posted. Not seeing birds in them now anyway. Snow and raptors probably the reason. Pheasants are usually sitting in the olive trees early in the morning but take off a hundred yards away from us and into cattails. All tall field grass is flattened. Wild roses and snowberries still standing but naked and with snow in them. Poor cover. Haven't found a bird in the stuff since the blizzard. Not even the hens are holding here now. But at least there are birds and lots of them. Hinsdale was a wash. Impossible noisy hunting conditions, three days ago anyway. And no birds.

One less coyote to worry about south of Chinook. Shot through the heart on the fly at sixty yards. He came out of the bottom of the coulee and was running across a huge hard drift on the lee side. Slid to the bottom after I flattened him.View attachment 165336
Nice shot, whats the rifle?

One less coyote to worry about south of Chinook. Shot through the heart on the fly at sixty yards. He came out of the bottom of the coulee and was running across a huge hard drift on the lee side. Slid to the bottom after I flattened him.View attachment 165336

Sounds pretty brutal. Maybe I'll stay in MN.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back