Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Where would you go for first time pheasant/quail hunt?

WestKyHunt

I have never been on a pheasant or quail hunt, as the quail population in my area is extremely low and we do not have any wild pheasants.
I could pay for a release-and-shoot type hunt, but that does not sit well with me.

With that said I'm trying to find where to start for a DIY upland hunt without a dog or any experience. There is a large possibility that ill be alone on this endeavor, I have one good friend that may join next year.
I do not expect anyone to give me their coveted hunting spots, just a place to begin learning

This may be an exercise in futility my first go around, but I enjoy new experiences and the joy that comes from hard earned knowledge (and hopefully success).

Thank you in advance for any and all responses!

Clayton

If looking to go out of state; eastern South Dakota. There’s plenty of open public hunting areas with good hunting. You would have to be blind not to see pheasants with a little walking. Odds are in Your favor there.

If looking to go out of state; eastern South Dakota. There’s plenty of open public hunting areas with good hunting. You would have to be blind not to see pheasants with a little walking. Odds are in Your favor there.
Definitely looking to go out of state.
Stocked pheasants do not have much appeal for me.
I also want to use hunting as an excuse to see new parts of the country lol

I don't know about quail, but without a dog and on your own, pheasant hunting in the places I frequent in Montana would essentially be a hike in the country. You could go days without seeing a bird, let alone get a shot. But the birds are there.

I would suggest booking a hunt with one of the outfitters in SD. They will either arrange for you to go out one on one with a guide and dog or a busload of other hunters to drive a field. The packages can vary as well as cost. You can learn a lot in just a few days. This site also has a category for meeting up with mentors/hunting partners. Kinda like computer dating, it may work out well for you ... or not. I strongly encourage you to choose one of those options. There are two bird hunting outfitters in the area where I hunt but I wouldn't reccomend either one.

Last edited:
I will second the motion about having long outs if you are DIY alone with no dog. The only place I have come across numbers of birds that would have been grouse in the mountains while elk hunting but that has varied a lot year to year. I have hunted mostly stocked birds in CO with a couple of outings with wild birds in NE. While wild birds are more wily, hunting stocked birds is still fun and a way to ease into wing shooting in my opinion. Working with good dogs is an entire set of enjoyment beyond even the hunting.

South Dakota is great for pheasant. I haven't seen a quail there the 13 years I have been going. You could go by yourself and get into birds. I would suggest going the first part of the season while they sit a little tighter. Later in the season they will flush wild. Would you have more opportunities with a good dog sure but if you pin point good areas feed/cover you will get some shooting. If you are wanting both pheasant and quail i would try Kansas. I grew up there and could get some shooting in on both without a dog even though typically i had at least one gsp with me. It just means you will have to work a little harder and smarter. Good luck.

I’m in central Ks we have good amount of public around where I am we have put in a lot of miles this year and have seen a lot of quail but kicked up very few pheasants while hunting public. If you do decide on KS shoot me a pm I can try and help you out with some spots we have got into quail but you just never know it can be hit or miss a lot of it gets a lot of pressure from hunters with dogs. Western KS is the better part of the state for pheasants and there is some decent public areas out there too.

I’m in central Ks we have good amount of public around where I am we have put in a lot of miles this year and have seen a lot of quail but kicked up very few pheasants while hunting public. If you do decide on KS shoot me a pm I can try and help you out with some spots we have got into quail but you just never know it can be hit or miss a lot of it gets a lot of pressure from hunters with dogs. Western KS is the better part of the state for pheasants and there is some decent public areas out there too.
I appreciate the offer!

If you don't have a dog, where ever you decide I'd suggest springing for at least one day of a guided hunt behind a dog. Watching them work is a large part of the experience for me, even when it's not been my dog!

The only place I've had what I'd consider much "luck" on upland birds without the use of a dog was Gambels quail near Phoenix on state game lands. IIRC hunting is the only reason one can use those lands. We walked up more than enough birds to keep it fun and shot plenty. Could be a good winter break as I was there in Jan/Feb timeframe.

Southern IA is not too bad for quail; numbers are up. However, pheasants can be few and far between on public in that part of the state. If you’re OK with mostly quail and an occasional pheasant it’s an option. If I had to pick anywhere though, KS and NE wound edge it out.

Southern IA is not too bad for quail; numbers are up. However, pheasants can be few and far between on public in that part of the state. If you’re OK with mostly quail and an occasional pheasant it’s an option. If I had to pick anywhere though, KS and NE wound edge it out.
I've been leaning towards NE, as I'd like to waterfowl hunt there as well.
Could do the same with the Dakotas

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back