40% discount code to Danner, anything worth it?

NR_Hunter

Long story short, I had a pair of work boots from Danner start falling apart after only a month of pretty light use.

The best they could do was offer me a 40% discount code for any boot on their website. Kind of embarrassing for them to be honest but that’s besides the point.

Is there any boot from Danner that would be good for western hunting, or just even general Midwest hunting with a 40% discount? Because I need a pair of non-insulated hunting boots for this fall.

Before anyone says Elk Hunters, I actually ordered a pair of them that I’m gonna return for a many number of reasons, so I’m open to any suggestion besides those. I also already have a pair 400g Pronghorns which I actually do like, and are very warm and comfortable, but even with leather treatment I simply can’t keep my feet dry in them unless the conditions are 100% dry, so anything besides Pronghorns as well.

Last edited:
IMO using the discount is just spending bad money to save a little.

That’s honestly what I’m worried about. It would be annoying to buy something just to end up having to replace it too soon, when I could have just got the quality boots from the get go.

Is pronghorn their most expensive boot? Buy one of their better boots, sell it on eBay at a slightly reduced price and then use that money to buy yourself some real boots.

I had a pair of danner pronghorns that I used for about 9 months when one boot started leaking. In all honesty I think it was from a stick I stepped on just right and it got stuck in the bottom of my boot. But I went online and reached out to them and they told me to send them in, a new pair came in the mail less than a week later and these have been great for normal almost every day wear.

I have a pair of the canadians that are great in cold weather, but they're expensive and dont have the stiff ankles like most of the hiking style brands.

Long story short, I had a pair of work boots from Danner start falling apart after only a month of pretty light use.

The best they could do was offer me a 40% discount code for any boot on their website. Kind of embarrassing for them to be honest but that’s besides the point.

Is there any boot from Danner that would be good for western hunting, or just even general Midwest hunting with a 40% discount? Because I need a pair of non-insulated hunting boots for this fall.

Before anyone says Elk Hunters, I actually ordered a pair of them that I’m gonna return for a many number of reasons, so I’m open to any suggestion besides those. I also already have a pair 400g Pronghorns which I actually do like, and are very warm and comfortable, but even with leather treatment I simply can’t keep my feet dry in them unless the conditions are 100% dry, so anything besides Pronghorns as well.
If you have a Mac and hang out at Starbucks they'll have several options for you. If you drive a Subaru and need something to wear to whole foods you'll have tons of choices.

I know that almost no one on this site agrees with me, but I think danner makes some great boots. They also make some junk. I'm very intrigued by the Thorofares.

Sounds like you're already soured on the company though, so I doubt you'll be happy with anything from them. If it's transferrable I bet you could get 50-100 bucks for the coupon on a forum.

I just bought The Elk Hunters and they don’t come with any kind of insole insert and the material lining the boot is bunched up so it essentially feels like I have bunched up socks. I could buy an insert, but it would make them way too tight and I’d need a bigger size. So yeah you could say im a bit perturbed at this point.

And not totally soured, aside from the gore Tex liner being entirely useless on my pronghorns they really seem like a good boot.

I have a pair of American made Danner east ridges that I’ve been very pleased with. A lot stiffer and so far more waterproof than my prior pair of pronghorns. They do take some serious breaking in though.

My first serious boot were Pronghorns, thought they were great, blisters and all, coz they were what I could afford and they had great advertising.

Been buying Danner Quarry’s for the past five years. I try to keep ahead of them as far as oillling them, but the constant wet/dry/wet/dry of my daily work seems to eat boots. These don’t seem much different. Crack out like all the other brands I’ve used on the inside of the ball of my foot. Leather rots and the stitching broke on this pair. I’ve had these a year and a half. By far my favorite boots out of the redwings,Georgia’s, and one other pair I forgot about that I have owned in the past ten years or so. I used them this year in west ND clay-soils and really liked how they gripped the slippery soils. I can recommend them, but I think all boots last me about a year of everyday use, until I am proven wrong.

I had a pair of there work boots too lasted about one season. which is all I've gotten out of Red W ings lately. $250-$300 is a lot for boots to not make it an entire season. I switched over to $120 pair of carhartt boots which from the look of then will last the same but hey I'll be saving $150.

I have tried several times to use Danner. They are a local Oregon co. I have had a few par of pronghorns and while they are very comfortable, the traction is horrible is snowy, icy conditions. They don't hold up. Currently I am wearing a pair of the Danner Full Curl which they don't make anymore. Traction is very very good in snow, mud and icy. I have had them thee years and have a lot of miles on them. Benn through lots of water, snow and they never leak. Even had to stand in a shallow creek about 6" deep for 30 minutes dealing with an elk and never got wet. I am disappointed that the rand is coming off and they never really fit me well. You cant lace up the top tight enough because of the big tongue.

For me I am switching to kennetrek or something .

I have a pair of pronghorns that I'm quite happy with. They have a big toe box which for me is good. I've hunted with them for the last several seasons. I should buy a new pair and maybe some snake boots.

The first pair of pronghorns I bought about 20 years ago leaked, the replacements leaked, then the next replacements leaked and they sent a note saying they wouldn't replace them any more. Against my better judgement, several years ago I bought a pair that were 70% off. I knew they'd leak the first time they saw water so I didn't wear them for a year. Per usual the first time out, standing in fresh mowed lawn they leaked between the sole and upper, where the stitching is.

I always liked the Danner Ft. Lewis boots and put a lot of hard miles on them. I got them on a uniform allowance and so never really paid out of pocket for them. I wore out a couple of pairs and gave the last pair that I had to my kid as a backup for his fire fighting. They went on a number of tough hunts over the years.

I'm currently breaking in some Danner Powderhorns. So far so good, but the true test will be in the fall. I was a little worried due to this sites uneasiness of Danners, but they were in my budget and are almost completely serviceable, so I'm giving them a chance.

Back