Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

40% discount code to Danner, anything worth it?

The first pair of pronghorns I bought about 20 years ago leaked, the replacements leaked, then the next replacements leaked and they sent a note saying they wouldn't replace them any more. Against my better judgement, several years ago I bought a pair that were 70% off. I knew they'd leak the first time they saw water so I didn't wear them for a year. Per usual the first time out, standing in fresh mowed lawn they leaked between the sole and upper, where the stitching is.

Which ones did you get? I got the 6" ones. I've had them for years and still don't leak... We get a fair amount of rain and I have to wash the mud off often.

Not trying to argue, just trying to figure out why the difference in luck.

If I was to buy another pair of boots I'd get something like these...

Heavy, not waterproof, but made in the USA with a good heel.

Use the Obenauf's LP religiously.

If I were to be paying full price, I'd order a pair of Nick's.

I've given up on Danner. They used to make a great product, then outsourced some of them. For awhile, their American made boots were still good. A few years ago I bought one of their American made, $300 pair of boots for work and it didn't even last a winter. I wouldn't touch a Danner anything.

The first pair of pronghorns I bought about 20 years ago leaked, the replacements leaked, then the next replacements leaked and they sent a note saying they wouldn't replace them any more. Against my better judgement, several years ago I bought a pair that were 70% off. I knew they'd leak the first time they saw water so I didn't wear them for a year. Per usual the first time out, standing in fresh mowed lawn they leaked between the sole and upper, where the stitching is.

If I don’t get every speck of snow off my pronghorn boots before I step in the truck, just the melting snow will get my feet wet when it starts to melt.

Last edited:
Like any other manufacturer, Danner makes great boots and bad boots. You can’t have it all, you know. Try Danner Pronghorn, from what I hear they’re pretty cool and solid. At least that’s what my uncle says, and I can say that he’s an expert in boots (and I’m not the only one who says that, the whole family is listening to his advices). Or, if you want to try something new and want some discounts, try GetYourCouponsCodes and maybe you’ll find something worthy of your attention. For me, it’s a good choice, I didn’t regret it once. Besides, they always have discounts, and that’s big plus for me. I hope my advice was of help to you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Older thread but FWIW, a year and a half ago I bought a pair of USA made Danner Crater Rims.

Between scouting, hunting, and my nightly loops with the dog I have gotta be over 200 miles on them. They’re not goat hunting boots, but for most western hunting they’d be suitable and I’ve been very pleased with them.

I know Danner makes a lot of stuff that doesn’t hold up, but I think their American made boots are practically a different brand.

Last edited:
My pair of 400g danner Alsea have held up well. They’re comfortable and tough enough for most of the hunting I do.

For out of the box comfort, I still like danner pronghorns. Don’t be surprised if you wear them out in a season, but for one season they’re awefully comfortable.

I used to wear Danners. I always blew out the side stitching around my little toe. It turns out my wide feet stressed that joint.

I wore out a pair of Danner Pronghorns. My biggest complaint is they did not keep water out. But i find myself going back to them
after trying almost every other boot cept Kenetreks. I can hike all day and feel good in them the next day. i would take another
pair at this point. Currently have a pair of Mendels w/ 1 1/2 season's on them. Gave up half way thru lst year.

Older thread but FWIW, a year and a half ago I bought a pair of USA made Danner Crater Rims.

Between scouting, hunting, and my nightly loops with the dog I have gotta be over 200 miles on them. They’re not goat hunting boots, but for most western hunting they’d be suitable and I’ve been very pleased with them.

I know Danner makes a lot of stuff that doesn’t hold up, but I think their American made boots are practically a different brand.

I’ve been happy with my crater rims and will buy another pair.

Back