Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

4 Mich. Hunters Convicted

Nemont

Four Michigan Men Convicted On Hunting-Related Charges In Montana
Friday, April 5th 2013
GLASGOW, Mont. – Four Michigan men have been convicted on illegal hunting charges that recently netted a total of $7,045 in fines and restitution in Montana.

One member of the party, Russell Lee Vandercook Sr., 52, of Lapeer, Mich., was investigated in four different Montana counties for hunting without valid licenses and license fraud regarding his legal residency. The violations took place during the 2010 and 2011 hunting seasons.

In Gallatin County Justice Court in Bozeman, Vandercook pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of possessing unlawfully killed bull elk without a license. He was fined $370 and paid $2,000 in restitution and lost his hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for a year for those violations.

Vandercook also pleaded guilty in:
· Roosevelt County Justice Court in Wolf Point to purchasing resident deer/elk licenses for non-resident use. He was fined $320 and lost his privileges for a year.
· Yellowstone County Justice Court in Billings to making a false statement when purchasing deer and elk hunting licenses He was fined $320 and lost his privileges for a year.
· McCone County Justice Court in Circle to hunting a game animal and birds without valid licenses. He was fined $670 and ordered to pay $600 in restitution for a mule deer buck and four pheasants, and lost his privileges for a year.

Also recently convicted in McCone County Justice Court were:
· Fred Lovasz, 77, of Columbiaville, Mich. He was fined $535 for hunting deer without a valid license; fined $535 and ordered to pay $500 in restitution for unlawfully possessing a mule deer buck; and fined $235 for using another person’s deer license. No hunting privileges were revoked in the case by order of the justice of the peace.
· Steve A. Lovasz, 42, of Fostoria, Mich. He was fined $535 for unlawfully possessing a mule deer buck and $235 for letting another person use his deer license. No hunting privileges were revoked in the case by order of the justice of the peace.
· Ronald Lee Eaton, 31, of Flint, Mich. He was fined $55 for failing to wear hunter’s orange while hunting and $135 for unlawfully using two-way communications while hunting.

The cases were initially investigated by Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Region 6 Warden Todd Tryan of Glasgow, with assistance from Region 7 Warden Mark Krings of Miles City and FWP Criminal Investigator Lennie Buhmann of Havre.

As the cases developed, the Montana investigators traveled to Michigan, where they were helped by law enforcement officials from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Two bull elk and two mule deer bucks were recovered in the process.

“Cooperation between our agencies in Michigan and Montana was essential in getting these cases wrapped up and gaining these convictions,” Tryan said. “It was truly a joint investigation.”

nice. Seems a little soft on the fines and such ( 1yr suspensions or none at all?) Good for the CO's. I'm sure its only a scratch to the surface of all that gets done out there but still. . .my bet is they are crooked in Michigan too!

Got off wayyyyy too easy.

Fines were barely more than the NR license fees they would have paid to hunt legally...and thats just a sad fact.

Fines have got to be high enough to off-set the gain of taking the chance to buy Resident Licenses as a Non Resident.

I'd suggest some remedial math assignments for the MT courts.

I am gonna get on the wagon here too......Fines need to be BIG along with forfeiture proceedings for ALL equipment they used (vehicles, guns, camping equipment etc) in taking these animals. I think a good benchmark for fines would be at least the same (perhaps double) what it would cost for a fully guided, trophy class hunt for each species taken. Just a thought.

Glad they were caught and convicted, but I'm with you Buzz, what's the NR combo +-$800? Total fines and restitution was $6,275. That's probably not a drop in the bucket considering the cost to the state for the investigation and prosecution...

When found guilty, they should pay the bill for the entire investigation, stiffer fines, and longer license privilege suspensions.

I couldn't agree more. The cost of those guys to go to Michigan to investigate cost more than the fines were. You want to stop this crap, hit them with $5,000 per infraction fine. Word gets out doing this stuff costs $30K, people will stop doing it.

When found guilty, they should pay the bill for the entire investigation, stiffer fines, and longer license privilege suspensions.

Ditto - taxpayers should not be at a loss due to criminal activity of others.

Nemont, is this the outcome from our thread a couple years ago? I recall something about NR hunters caught. Tried a search though too cluttered with threads to find the one I believe was the initial discussion when this hit the news...

And just think, they could have been mentors to a bunch of 9 year olds.

Nice work to the C.O.'s on this case. Personally, I get sick of reading case after case where there is nothing more than a slight slap on the wrist by the judicial system. Maybe someday it'll change?????

Typical of our entire judicial everywhere in this country regardless of what charges a person is in for and why our country is in the shape it's in.

these!!!backend of a mule going south!!clowns dont care how much you fine them,they most likely will neaver pay the fines.
and so what you need to do is take there trucks,cars,houses,guns,and every other thing they might own.
then law inforcement should take them into the woods,then every officer should get there chance to taiser them,one at a time.:hump:

More crap.

Pennsylvania Man Pays $5,180 for Montana Big-Game Hunting Violations

GLASGOW, Mont. – A Pennsylvania man has been ordered to pay a total of $5,180 in fines and restitution for misdemeanor big-game hunting violations in four Montana counties.

John Feucht, 29, of Camp Hill, Penn., pleaded guilty in Missoula County Justice Court in Missoula, Mont., to purchasing a resident license for non-resident use during the 2010 big game hunting season. He was fined $1,035 for that violation.

• In Park County Justice Court in Livingston, Mont., Feucht was ordered to pay $3,340 in fines and restitution for killing and possessing a bull elk in 2010, a bull elk in 2011, a white-tailed deer buck in 2010, and a white-tailed deer buck in 2011 without valid licenses. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Warden Todd Anderson of Glasgow said Feucht also used resident licenses as a non-resident while hunting these animals.

• In Gallatin County Justice Court in Bozeman, Mont., Feucht also pleaded guilty to purchasing a resident big-game license for non-resident use. He was fined $135 for that violation.

• In Lewis and Clark County Justice Court in Helena, Mont., Feucht pleaded guilty and paid fines totaling $670 for purchasing a resident elk license and elk permit for non- resident use.

In addition, Feucht lost his hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for 24 months in Montana and the 38 other states participating in the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

FWP wardens traveled to Pennsylvania last year to further investigate Feucht’s illegal activities. There they were helped by Pennsylvania Game Commission officers. Two bull elk and a whitetail buck were seized in the process.

“We’d like to thank the Pennsylvania Game Commission and their officers for their assistance,” Anderson said. “Without their help this case would not have been nearly as successful.”

So basically for the cost of a guided elk hunt he got to hunt illegally in montana for three years for multiple species. Wow!

Back