Caribou Gear

.350 legend... sell me on it

Brushbuster444

Ok gang I‘ve almost talked myself into buying a .350 legend. I hunt the west but I kinda consider 300yds “long range”. Plus I love oddball rounds that do one thing really well. If you haven’t yet look into this cartridge. Recoil and penetration make it look like it’d be a great round for young and new shooters. Or for recovering muzzleloader hunters (guilty) who like to get in there with em. I’d like to hear some thoughts on this little sledgehammer of a round.

It basically duplicates the 357 maximum except in a rimless design so it will feed in bolt actions and semi autos.

if you live in a strait wall state it may make sense. It’s smarter than the 450 bushmaster since that just replicates a 20 gauge slug.

I thought the 450 Bushmaster was trying to duplicate the 45-70.

If you like "odd ball", you could help me resurrect some well deserving, under appreciated cartridges.
250 Savage
25 Souper
284 Win
6.5X57 Mauser
6.5mm Rem Mag.
Or if your dead set on a 35 cal there is always the 350 Rem Mag.

I thought the 450 Bushmaster was trying to duplicate the 45-70.

If you like "odd ball", you could help me resurrect some well deserving, under appreciated cartridges.
250 Savage
25 Souper
284 Win
6.5X57 Mauser
6.5mm Rem Mag.
Or if your dead set on a 35 cal there is always the 350 Rem Mag.

Friend in Montana years ago had a 350 Rem Mag. Mostly shot cast bullet's in it and it s really nice to shoot. We took off bear hunting one time and he loaded it up with jacketed bullet's. I'll never shoot one with jacketed bullet's again!

It does fit in an AR platform. I am a little skeptical of the marketing Winchester came out with about the cartridge. It is lite recoiling, so that is a plus, I just don't think it's a "legend" by any means. I think it would be better to wait a season or two to hear what the actual field results are, before any decision is made.

Friend in Montana years ago had a 350 Rem Mag. Mostly shot cast bullet's in it and it s really nice to shoot. We took off bear hunting one time and he loaded it up with jacketed bullet's. I'll never shoot one with jacketed bullet's again!

Why is that?

Ok gang I‘ve almost talked myself into buying a .350 legend. I hunt the west but I kinda consider 300yds “long range”. Plus I love oddball rounds that do one thing really well. If you haven’t yet look into this cartridge. Recoil and penetration make it look like it’d be a great round for young and new shooters. Or for recovering muzzleloader hunters (guilty) who like to get in there with em. I’d like to hear some thoughts on this little sledgehammer of a round.

Before I could sell you I'd have sell the idea to myself, but if the thought of having one fires your neurons then by all means have at it.

Energy and ballistics less than .30-30 Winchester. And that's using the numbers off Winchester's own boxes of ammo.

Personally, if I had to use a straight walled case, then I'd opt for the venerable 444 Marlin. There are also light loads for the 45-70. "Lighter" (for the caliber) weight bullet loads are available today which helps flatted the rainbow trajectory and makes for more pleasant shooting with 200 - 250 yards a possibility as long as you practice them and understand their trajectory. If you get the American Hunter magazine, Bryce Towsley has a good article on how to sight them in, etc in the most recent issue..

I shoot a 300 Grain Speer over 60 grains H4895 in my Marlin 45-70. Its accurate, recoil is tolerable, and it hammers game.

There are two reasons to get into the .350 "Legend":
1. You have money and want to try one.
2. You live in a straight wall state and don't like any of the other legal straight wall offerings.

There are many better options if you don't fall into one of those two categories. In an AR platform chamberings like the .300 Ham'r, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, even the .223 depending on what you're hunting. Get into a bolt gun and there are infinite options for more powerful, flatter shooting cartridges. The choice to go with a .355 diameter bullet also baffles me. If you reload you have you buy "Legend" specific bullets. And I've heard the .355 diameter doesn't meet all state's requirements for straight wall cartridges? I don't think at 300 yards there will be much steam left to make an ethical kill on game either. If it were designed to use a .358 diameter bullet, if it were marketed for it's actual performance, and if it was named anything else I probably still wouldn't buy it but I would be less reluctant to recommend it to others.

There are two reasons to get into the .350 "Legend":
1. You have money and want to try one.
2. You live in a straight wall state and don't like any of the other legal straight wall offerings.

There are many better options if you don't fall into one of those two categories. In an AR platform chamberings like the .300 Ham'r, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, even the .223 depending on what you're hunting. Get into a bolt gun and there are infinite options for more powerful, flatter shooting cartridges. The choice to go with a .355 diameter bullet also baffles me. If you reload you have you buy "Legend" specific bullets. And I've heard the .355 diameter doesn't meet all state's requirements for straight wall cartridges? I don't think at 300 yards there will be much steam left to make an ethical kill on game either. If it were designed to use a .358 diameter bullet, if it were marketed for it's actual performance, and if it was named anything else I probably still wouldn't buy it but I would be less reluctant to recommend it to others.

it will kill deer size game cleanly at 300 yards. Plenty have been killed that far and even a bit farther with the 357 maximum in contender handguns.

Energy and ballistics less than .30-30 Winchester. And that's using the numbers off Winchester's own boxes of ammo.
That’s something I looked into after making this post and with what modern rounds are doing, the ol 30-30 is a pretty handy option. With the benefit of being readily available.

Well I think I have to admit that the marketing folks at the internet😉 got me sucked in. Appreciate all the discussion. Probably gonna wait and see if “ hero’s get remembered but legends never die” is true or not.

Long Tr'ang. A true legend. He used a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 with a Unertl 8x scope. When it comes to the .350 Legend, "What would Carlos Hathcock do?"

Have yet to see a rifle chambered in it yet, however fleet farm had ammo for 19.99 which was surprising. Most everyone hunts with the classic calibers around here still.

I bought one because I have 4 kids in a straight wall state, Ohio. Also after getting hammered by my slug gun for years I might use it if kids are not out with me. I called the ohio dnr and they told me that .355 is an anomaly and they consider it legal per the .357 minimum bullet size. You can pick up a salvage axis ll scoped combo for $269.99 with rebate right now. Worth it to get a kid hunting. My son who shoot a 6.5 creedmore for elk and deer in Arizona loved it. No problems with recoil. Just needed to put pad on stock so he could see though the scope.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back