338 WBY RPM- newest cartridge

GlockZ

So Weatherby announced it's newest cartridge to bear the family name, the 338 WBY RPM. Not much out there, but what I could find, is that it's made to work in their Mark V Backcountry 2.0 line, and duplicate the 338WM in performance. Shooting a 225gr. bullet at @ 2800fps. Thoughts?

I’m assuming it’s got a similar goal as their 6.5 rpm, to maximize what they could get out of their lighter 6 lug action? If so it would probably be interesting. It sounds similar to a 338-06, which I’ve always liked the idea of but I don’t reload… It’s just hard for me to drop 2,500 on one of those rifles then ~100 per box of ammo if you can find it

I am sure it'll be great. I am one of those people that like all the new whiz bang crap. This one probably not for me but if I needed something with more energy for elk I would be a good look over.

What does the RPM stand for? Seems to me if they're duplicating the .338 Win performance just to make something proprietary (and Weatherby expensive), it's going to be a tough sell ... except to the "something new whiz bang" crowd. Seems that market is already saturated. Weatherby should be cautious where they go with their marketing strategy. Been a lot of mega failures the last couple years caused by big name manufacturers that flopped because they spread themselves to thin trying to grab every market niche at once.

I have a Camilla BackCountry coming for the granddaughter when I finish paying off my BHA Life Membership.
I don't have to choose a caliber until the order is put in. As recoil sensitive as she is, I'm pretty sure even if they offer it in 338RPM by then we won't by going that route!

Back in the (Eastwood lawn chair) day we had real gun shows, not bi monthly flea markets with well recirculated firearms. Most manufacturers were represented. The first time handling and smitten with a (new) Ruger #1 was one of those busy well stocked shows.

SCI Dallas is still a good once a year gear & weapon wish book day...

So it’s a factory 338-280 ackley? Or 338 Sherman? 338 win mag performance without a belt and being stuck with Norma brass in a weatherby.

Seems great for manufacturers to introduce new cartridges while people are complaining about not being able to find ammo for existing ones

I have a Camilla BackCountry coming for the granddaughter when I finish paying off my BHA Life Membership.
I don't have to choose a caliber until the order is put in. As recoil sensitive as she is, I'm pretty sure even if they offer it in 338RPM by then we won't by going that route!

Helped a new hunter set up her wood-stocked Weatherby Camilla, a 308 Winchester. She found it easy to shoot and I was thoroughly impressed with the accuracy! While sighting it in she shot several 1" groups at 200 yards!

I hope your grand daughter's rifle shoots as well.

Regards, Guy

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back