Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

.338 Update

1_pointer

Went to the range again today with the .338 and 200gr. BTs. I've worked up to 71.0gr IMR 4350 with no signs of pressure. Don't know what the actual velocity is since I don't have a chrony yet, but I'm getting closer. I had two groups under 1.75" at 100yds, I feel that the others that weren't were my fault(one was for sure). I know that won't impress many, but the gun is MUCH better than the shooter. I'm hoping that some sandbags under the stock will help me hold on target better. Right now I'm just using a bipod on the front.

Do I need to worry about working up to max. in these temperatures and shooting the same loads in the summer???

Thanks for any and all advice that has been given.

I have had loads that were fine in cooler or mild weather that started blowing primers or getting hard to extract in the summer when the temp could go over 105 degrees. So the answer is a tentative "yes" if the loads are aproaching max. This is one reason that Hodgdon "Extreme" powders are getting more popular. Just remember that H4350 and IMR-4350 are NOT the same, for example. I have had good luck with H4350, H4831sc, H1000 and the other Hodgdon "Extreme" powders I've tried. Not all Hodgdon powders are the "Extreme" variety, though, which was developed especially for giving the same performance over a wide range of temperatures.

I second the Hodgdon Extreme powders, I load H4831SC in my .308 Norma Mag. The man that owned the rifle before me tried several powders and never got the results that he got from H4831SC.

Nosler lists 73.0gr of IMR 4350 as max and I'm 2 gr. away so is that far enough? Thanks for the tip on the Extreme powders, I check into those.

One Pointer, the Nosler manual ( max )loads should be safe at any tempratures you will find in northern Utah, how hot does it get there in the summer anyway ?
If you'll be shooting in temps over 100% then maby back off a grain.
If you check different manuals, you'll find that the Nosler loads are usually a grain or two below some other books.
Many rifles like hot loads, my .270 dosn't start shooting good till I'm past what most books recomend. ( I'm not recomending exceeding max loads, but I do it sometimes )
If the Nosler book says 73.0, you should have no trouble with that much. Now if you take it down to the southern desart in summer time ( 100 + % )be careful, and watch for signs of pressure.

Have your wife make you some sand bags. Cut off a pant leg off a pair of pants that have holes in them, fill up with sand from kids sand box, VOLA (sp?). Sand bag on the cheep.

John

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back