Caribou Gear Tarp

338 Lapua

danr55

I'm starting to load for this artillery piece. Does anyone have any favorites for it?

I see a few guys shooting one at our range. Lots of SMKs and Bergers. I'd probably send some 300 gr Accubonds out of it. Loading one isn't cheap , might as well shoot good bullets. mtmuley

Danr,
A friend has and "edge" but that's the closest I have........
Down range is an understatement.
WD

You're gonna have fun! We've got a Savage 110 BA, so far we've had the best luck with 250gr. Sierra SMK and Retumbo. Just got some new Berger Tactical Hybrid and a Hornady Match 285 gr to try in it, but haven't had time yet to even load the first test rounds. Very fun gun to shoot.

I load 300gr. bergers with H-1000. Start at 87gr. and work up to 92 gr. Just be sure to watch for pressure signs. My Lapua likes 88.5 gr. with Lapua brass shooting 2650fps. I don't like the speed too much but the accuracy is outstanding. Personally I would be more satisfied in the 2750 fps area. But then again I still haven't played with seating depths too much as I have them set as long as will fit in the magazine.

I too will be starting loading for a 338 Lapua in the next few weeks. I have some Barnes 265 and 280 lrx's to try over some retumbo. Let us know how the reloading goes!

My idea of fun is .220 swift, or a .223 WSSM. :confused:

I'd agree with those being fun to shoot as well, in fact when it comes to guns there are very few that aren't fun to shoot. You can really feel the power in that Lapua and it kinda makes a guy smile when it connects with the target out there at 1,000+ yards.:D

I don't have a big .338 yet, but a RUM is on my list. Ballistic twin of the Lapua, and a bunch cheaper to shoot. Then again, the Edge is pretty easy to deal with these days too. mtmuley

Here ya go Stan. I've built some loads using Lapua Scenar 250 gr and H-1000. Seems to like 93.6 gr. with a Fed 215 primer. I have some Berger 300 gr. I'm going to try soon.

Attachments

• DSCN0736.jpg
    DSCN0736.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 822
  • DSCN0732.jpg
    DSCN0732.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 834
Top Shot the TV show used a 338 Lapua in their show last night. 40 inch target at a mile after practicing the previous day at 1000 yards. Thirteen shooters with a couple of fellas really showing up with times under 1 minute to score.

By far have had the best luck with Berger 250's and Retumbo. The Retumbo outperforms the H1000 hands down in my Benchmark 338 Lapua. Good luck

Back