Yeti GOBOX Collection

.325 WSM ammo

bennett454

Hey guys
I was just looking for some opinions. I was planning on building a custom lightweight mountain rifle chambered in .300 win mag. I wanted a stainless barrel so I was looking to trade a .308 model 700 I have for a stainless actioned model 700. Well someone interested in the trade but he has a .300 rsaum well what i've gotten from my reading is that a .300 rsaum isn't as good with heavier bullets 200 grains. So then I started thinking about converting it to a .325 wsm and I also saw that they now make 160 grain bullets for 8mm giving me lots of choices.My question is how easy is it to find .325 WSM ammo in Alaska or out west if I ever get in a pinch. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the short action. I'm thinking it will be lighter and more powerful Takes less powder to reload ;). On the bad side its a little less flat shooting then the .300 win mag but not much worse recoil may be a little worse but if its to bad I can put a recoil pad on it. Ammo will be a little more expensive again not terrible i think noslers were like $6 more for 100 then the .30 bullets of the same weight. I'm 21 and want this to be my go to gun for a long time thats the other thing with the .325wsm its not very old what 10 yrs but it seems to fit a new niche so i believe it will be around awhile. Any opinions or suggustions.
Thanks
Scott

Bennett454, I have a .325WSM and loved it except that I don't reload and I got tired of paying $65 for a box of shells. I had really good luck with the 200gr. Accubond. I didn't think recoil was bad.

I've since downsized and am shooting a plain Jane 30'06. Definitely a popgun compared to the .325. But I like paying $25 for shells now.

Where in Alaska? Outside any large town, you're lucky to find much besides 338, 300wm, 270, 30-06 or 308.

I've been using a 325 for the last 6-7 years. Has done everything I've asked it to, big and small animals, kills em pretty dead.

200gr Accubonds are the ticket. I would get into loading though. I can load a box for about $20.

I have had my 325 wsm for 3 years now and love it. It compliments my 270 nicely and the 325 is now my go-to gun. I too shoot the 200gr Accubonds and recoil isn't terrible (I did add an aftermarket pad).

Shells off-the-shelf tend to be pricey, but I don't plink much with this rifle :) I haven't had an issue finding them in N. Idaho, W. Montana or E. Washington, but it could be an issue in Alaska and Canada.

Thanks guys, I figured that in alaska it might be a little hard to find but with good pre planning that shouldn't be a problem. I will defiently be reloading and the 200 grain accubonds seem the ticket so far, barnes has some good choices as well. As for the recoil I read some that said less then a .300 win mag and some that say comparable to a .338 personally I'm not real worried about it. I also read that the lighter .325's tend to jump did any of you modify anything because of it. I was reading something about a muzzle break only on the top half of the barrel I forget what they called.
Thanks again guys

I have one of the first M70 SS 'classics' they made. Locked and loaded its about 7.5 pounds or so. To me it feels lighter than the new SS version they make with the heavy azz stock on it. Mine is just plain factory, with a little smoothing and bedding. Shoots as good as I can. I don't think it kicks all that bad. Recoil is subjective though. Some people think a 7rem mag kicks... My GF shoots it all the time, if a woman can handle it from the bench one box at a time any self respecting man shouldn't have a problem. :) She puts them into sub moa groups too, course her 'light' rifle is a 300wsm.

In all seriousness, mine doesn't kick to bad. You know when you pull the trigger, but its no 338 with 250's, and its not as snappy as a 300wm. It shoots a 200gr bullet at about 2750-2800fps. I

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one. Really it doesn't do anything that some other cartridge can't, but I have a lot of confidence in mine, mostly because I shoot it so much.

Sounds good, I was looking at bullet choices last night and I think its a good enough selection especially for the reloader I probably won't be jumping around with different loads to much anyways. :)

Back