308 with 165 Speer Hot Cor for elk?

bullhead

Since I asked about a 270 load before I wondered if anyone would give me their thought on this load for elk. Thanks

My general advice for folks. If you have a lead round that already works keep shoooting it, but if you need/want a new big game load go all copper (TTSX or Hammers are a great place to start).
Any recommendations for where to get them? I shot my first elk this year with a 175 gr Sierra Match King. He went right down but I wasn't impressed with the bullet's performance. Busted into little pieces and didn't penetrate well. I've since read from multiple sources that the Match Kings aren't at all ideal for elk. I'd like to come up with a better alternative.

Any recommendations for where to get them? I shot my first elk this year with a 175 gr Sierra Match King. He went right down but I wasn't impressed with the bullet's performance. Busted into little pieces and didn't penetrate well. I've since read from multiple sources that the Match Kings aren't at all ideal for elk. I'd like to come up with a better alternative.

Thanks! Which of their bullets would you recommend in a .308 with a 1:10 twist rate for elk? 166 gr?
No clue…

I’m just aware of them and provided the link.

I’m going to nosler accubonds for .280 Remington.

Like you, I hate the performance of jacketed core-lokt bullets. After loosing one of my last deer due to what I feel is bullet performance, I’m going to a bonded bullet for now.

I didn't realize Hammer made a 124 grain Hunter in .308. That would be a fun one for my kids' hunting load...

Last edited:
I guarantee that Hammer has those bullets in stock. mtmuley
I meant the Accubonds. I've got some time to figure this out before next season. I'll try some of the bullets from Hammer and the Nosler Accubonds and Partitions if I can find them.

I've seen the .308 win do excellent work on elk of all sizes with cup and core bullets. I wouldn't think twice about using the 165 grn HotCor or even Federal Blue Box 150s.

We tend to overthink it. This year I intend to practice more, with less mental gymnastics.

I've seen the .308 win do excellent work on elk of all sizes with cup and core bullets. I wouldn't think twice about using the 165 grn HotCor or even Federal Blue Box 150s.

We tend to overthink it. This year I intend to practice more, with less mental gymnastics.
I lost my last two white tail to bad bullet performance.

Well, one any way.

The true last one went down and the bullet never penetrated the chest cavity with a direct front shot. The bullet went around the chest and followed the skin up to the back strap at the back of the rib cage.

Surprised the hell out of me when I skinned it.

I lost my last two white tail to bad bullet performance.

Well, one any way.

The true last one went down and the bullet never penetrated the chest cavity with a direct front shot. The bullet went around the chest and followed the skin up to the back strap at the back of the rib cage.

Surprised the hell out of me when I skinned it.
How do you know it was bullet performance if you lost it?

Every bullet will F up once in a while. Shoot a couple hundred big game animals and you'll soon realize there is not guarantee. I've had terrible luck with Partions go figure.

I shoot 165 accubonds out of my 308s. Dead animals every time. My second pick would ne 165 Sierra GK..

Back