Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.308 for Antelope

Bowhunter60

I posed a question earlier regarding the .22-250 for antelope on another forum, and, I got some pretty good responses. I've not hunted antelope before, but I've hunted blacktail numerous times, and consider their body size and structure relatively similar. I've also read enough that it would seem there is a need for a flat shooting round for antelope, one with sufficient downrange energy to do the job humanely.

I can't see any reason ballistically that the .22-250 with a heavier, well-constructed bullet would not be more than adequate. However, I am also considering another option. I think most would agree, the .243 is a very good antelope round. Since the .243 is really a necked down .308, I thought, why not load up my .308 with lighter bullets. So, I'm considering using the 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullet. Assuming 46 - 48gr of Varget, I can get muzzle velocities of anywhere from 2860 - 3040fps, and have a heavier, well constructed bullet that is fast and flatter shooting.

Any thoughts on this particular load for good antelope medicine?
:rolleyes:

That is almost the exact load I came up with last year. Didn't shoot one with it, because the load was for my backup rifle.

I have tried like bullets in a 308 but never could get satisfactory Accuracy

Agree for the most part

There is no question as the .308's ability to do the job. And, the 150gr quite possibly the best all around weight for the .308. I simply have one problem, I like to reload, and I like to try and see what I can get out of the rifle. That said, accuracy, and the ability to put the round where I want it, is key for me. If, as some have indicated, these bullets don't perform to my standard, I'll stick with what I know will work. ;)

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. Load up some good 150's or 165's, know your drops, and go hunt.

If you are a set and forget guy, the .308 can be a bit more problematic at long distance. If you have the ballistics figured and have a dial-a-shot scope, then the steeper trajectory is not even a factor. My .308 has become my go-to rifle with 150-grain Hornadys @2934 fps and is moac (minute of antelope chest) at 500 yards.

My Remington 700 in 308 shot it's best with 44 grains of RL 15 and a 165 Accubond. That ended up my only load for everything.

I've wanted to tinker with the Barnes 130gr. TTSX in my 30-06 and have a 3300 fps laser beam. From what I've read, a whole bunch of RL15, H4895 or 748 will get me there. In fact I have all of those things in my reloadeding cave except for once-fired (in my rifle) brass.

Emrah

I would use the load you use for 'hunting' . That will kill a antelope. if you like trying different loads then just make sure it shoots good. Your .308 with a 125g or 165g bullet will be good for antelope.

I have used the 125gr Nosler Ballisitc tip in a 300 whisper, 308, and 30-06 with muzzle velocities from 2100fps to 3350fps on antelope. It works really well for me.

The gain in muzzle velocity is lost in BC. Run the numbers, the 165 will print nearly the same as a 125-130 as far as I would shoot.

I've shot probably 15-18 antelope, farthest shot was 300 yards. YMMV. Seen a half truck load shot with a 22-250. It's a pretty solid round for them. They're lighter framed than a deer, and can't take a bullet very well.

Good luck on your hunt!

I Agree

The gain in muzzle velocity is lost in BC. Run the numbers, the 165 will print nearly the same as a 125-130 as far as I would shoot.

I've shot probably 15-18 antelope, farthest shot was 300 yards. YMMV. Seen a half truck load shot with a 22-250. It's a pretty solid round for them. They're lighter framed than a deer, and can't take a bullet very well.

Good luck on your hunt!

I've been experimenting with various bullets and powder weights. The goal being to obtain MOA accuracy and known ballistics. So far, I've been very impressed with the 22-250's accuracy and terminal ballistics. Understanding that's at the range and not hunting. Therefore, my plan is to call in a few coyotes and see what I can get out of the 22-250. JBM recommends the 62gr DPX Barnes TSX for best energy. Haven't shot that bullet yet, but I'll do so and see. By the time the season rolls around, I should have it pretty well dialed in.
:D

See if they shoot. I think you may have accuracy issues with a 125 or 130. So step one would see how your groups are. Antelope offer a small target and shots can be long.

Don't Disagree at all

See if they shoot. I think you may have accuracy issues with a 125 or 130. So step one would see how your groups are. Antelope offer a small target and shots can be long.

Between now and the season, I'll have done quite a bit of range time, dialing in my load. And, I do agree, the 150gr is a solid performer on a wide range of game.

I'd load up some hornady 55 grain spire points in the 22-250 and rock on. Antelope die very easy. Or just run 150s in the 308 and use a range finder if needed

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back