Caribou Gear

300wm

old man

I no longer have my 308 deer riffle, all i have left is my new Sako fin LT in 300 win mag. wondering what weight bullet you would use for deer and or antelope. Used 150s in the 308.

My honest opinion would find a great accurate load with 180's. Then you'd be good for anything really. I'd be kinda worried with anything smaller at extreme velocities exploding upon impact. Could be wrong.... I shoot 215 bergers in mine and shot a medium bodied buck at 200 yards and no meat loss.

I used to change from 165's to 180's for deer and elk. Now I just shoot the 180's. I like not having to check which bullets I have and the 180's will handle anything. You could also pick the 165's. I like sticking with one bullet that shoots good. Either weight is going to do the job.

I use 150 grain fusions in my 300 worked great on a cow elk this year, so I can't imagine that they wouldn't work good for deer and antelope as well.

180g Accubond. Do a rib shot and no meat loss at all.

180 grain may be a little overkill for deer and antelope. You likely will have less drop at long range and a little tighter groups at long range with something similar to 150 grain partitions? Maybe try both at the range and see which has the tightest group with your particular rifle.

180 grain may be a little overkill for deer and antelope. You likely will have less drop at long range and a little tighter groups at long range with something similar to 150 grain partitions? Maybe try both at the range and see which has the tightest group with your particular rifle.

Old man,

Please ignore the advice in the above post, all that illustrates is a perfect misunderstanding of everything to do with not only the 300 WM, but rifles and bullets in general.

The guys that have given you the advice on the 180-200 grain for the 300 WM are the ones to listen to.

Bullet weight has nothing to do with accuracy, and surely lighter bullet weights do not produce "tighter groups at long range". That's pure BS. Typically, the light for caliber bullets suffer at longer ranges in trajectory, accuracy, wind drift, etc. The 150's, in particular partitions, have the BC of a bowling ball...probably about the last bullet I would consider for a longer range deer/antelope hunt.

If you're wanting to maximize performance and the long range capabilities of the 300 WM, I would also suggest, like others have, bullets in the 180-200 range, even for deer and antelope. The BC's for the standard 180 accubond are in the .500 range, and you should easily find an accurate load that will produce velocities of 2900-3100 FPS. I like to drive the accubond bullets in the 2850-3000ish fps range personally, and they have performed flawlessly for me.

Also, elkantlers gave some great advice, find a 180 grain load and stick with it for everything. Jumping around in bullet weight to "match" the game you're hunting sounds like a good idea, but the reality is, its just not. You have to develop 2 loads, change zero, etc. and really trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I went 180 AB in my 300 for everything and couldn't be happier. It ain't broke so I'm not fixing it. Buzz pretty much nailed it.

I've shot 180 gr Partitions through my 300 WM for over 20 years. I've never had an issue with them for deer, elk or antelope. If anything, I see less damage on deer and antelope with my .300 than I do with my .243. I don't have any quantitative data to support it, just a generalization. I would echo Buzz's sentiments on heavy-for-caliber weights.

I had to put a new barrel on my .300 this past summer. I tried many different types of ammo at the range to see what it liked the best. It was not happy with any of the "premium" ammo including my very favorite Nosler Partitions. It fired four rounds in one hole I could cover with a quarter at 200 yards using Winchester 180 gr. Power Points. Certainly not my first choice of ammo, but that is what shot best in the new barrel. It did the job on a 5 X 5 bull at 178 yards, even with the expected core-jacket separation.

My son shoots 190 black hills out of his image.jpg that should do well at 200yards.

I use 165 interlocks on deer @3200 fps. Flat shooting and hits deer like Thor's hammer!

One thing to consider if you have a CDS type scope you dial your turrets in to one bullet and velocity for it to work for you. If you change bullets IE: 150, 165 or 180grains you have to start over for each load.

BuzzH nailed it.

My favorite bullet is the Nosler 180 Partition. It just plain works!!!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back