.300 WSM for Pronghorn?

G. McAlister

Would a .300 WSM shooting a 130 gr. TTSX be too much for pronghorn? At this time I do have other options available but if my wife or son wanted to hunt as well, I would be using my elk rifle.

I am new to everything pronghorn so please excuse my ignorance.

Use any legal rifle with confidence and any bullet that won’t explode. Too little of that delicious meat on an antelope to waste. Aim for just behind the shoulder not through it.
That is my biggest concern, not wasting meat. I didn’t know which would be better on antelope a faster lighter bullet or a heavier, slower bullet.

I always hunt antelope with whatever my elk rifle is, including the 300 WSM. In fact, the farthest I ever took any game animal was with the 300 WSM / 180 Nosler Partition at 548 yards. He was bedded and never got up. Worked to perfection.

That will work just fine especially with the 130TTSX. As others have said try to avoid the shoulder. The meat tastes too good and you don't get very much so can't waste any.

The ttsx would be a good choice. I did hit one in the ham with a 150 grn ballistic silver tip, what a mess.

l shot my first, the one that l am holding in my profile picture with a 257 weatherby shooting a 100 grain ttsx, l shot my second with a 7mm rem mag shooting a 160 gr accubond, as long as you him 'em right they will tip right over. any good caliber shooting a good bullet will be great.

I shot a pronghorn with a .300 WSM and 165 TTSX. My experience was not good but it was my fault. Spine shot and then a finishing shot at like 5 yards. Exit wound was as big as my fist. Didn't really damage any meat though, other than a part of the backstrap. Make a good shot and all will be good. I then shot a mule deer a few weeks later and an elk later on with the same load. They ended much better. It's a tremendously versatile cartridge.

Fun fact.

If you neck down a 300 wsm to 25 caliber, making a 25-300 wsm.

That cartridge is called the 25 pronghorn.

If you get a fast twist, you can shoot the new bigger 25's really fast. (~3200 FPS) [Berger's G1 BC is 0.65 if that matters]

134 ELD X

131 ACE

135 Berger

Or you can get a little copper bullet and shoot laser beams (~3800 FPS) [Max Point blank range of 420 yards or so]

90 CX

80 TTSX

92 Hammer Hunter

Do with this information, however you wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back