Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

.300 Win Mag

If your shooting a 30-06 and it isn't bothering you, You can probably handle a 300. Only you will know. If really worried, find someone who owns one and shoot before you buy. Like others said, smaller calibers can do the job. But like many, more guns are a good thing.
Each rifle can be a little different. Some has to do with rifle weight and some with the shape of rifle stock. I've shot a bolt 270 ruger that was the worst kickn gun I've ever shot. Also you can put a break on the rifle and substantially cut the recoil.

They're nice. You're not going to notice a difference in the field, but you will when you practice. If I were a rookie with rifles I would NOT be starting with a 300WM. Tons of smaller calibers that don't recoil as much that will do what you need it to do very well. You start shooting a cannon and you have a good chance of developing bad habits that are tough to get rid of.

My worry isn’t really the recoil in the field, it’s a flinch from the apprehension. I’ve shot a 30-30 and 30-06 plenty, and 7mm-08, I’m saying I’m a rookie because I haven’t shot much else and I don’t know what to expect.

I too love my 300wm, for what it is. It's not a gun I want to sit down and plunk metal all day that's for sure. But I can comfortably practice with it as needed. I love the terminal ballistics and results I have had on game. Only other elk sized gun that i own that I will take nowdays is a 7mm stw, that said I have shot more elk with a 7mm-08 than anything (all I had for years). All just as dead as the next, but the 300 gives me more confidence and without a doubt quicker kills vs the 7-08. Also there is a big difference between 140gr vs 200gr bullets; factory ammo vs hand loads etc. For me the "pain" is worth it on elk. But I know for some people it's too much to the point it causes them to flinch, in which case need more practice or less of a gun.... Recoil is a fickle thing, my 300 kicks far less than a 270wsm I used to have and the guns were identical. That wsm for me, was too much at least in that gun.

here is the easiest way to describe the recoil from shooting a few different rifles chambered in 300wm that i've shot, it's the same as shooting 3" magnum loads out of 12 gauge shotgun. That being said, the other comments on here stating you can do just as well with the 30-06 are correct, the old work horse 30-06 has easily killed every game species in North America, plus Europe and I'm sure many other parts of the world.

I love my 300 too - I think a lot of it just comes down to shooting the rifle and feeling confident in it. If you are hammering them at the range, your shoulder can get a little sore, but in hunting situations the last thing I think about is the recoil. 308, 30-06, 300 all will get the job done - I personally think its more about confidence in the rifle and knowing the gun.

I totally agree with what he is saying.

Does anybody know where there is some data on how much a muzzle brake will reduce the recoil energy/velocity? That seems like an attractive option. The noise is an issue but at the distances I'm needing to hunt with a 300 WM I should have time to put in ear protection.

I also own both calibers. My 300wm after a few shots on the bench caused me to flinch, so when I decided to jump into reloading I decided to put a brake on so I hopefully concentrate to develop an accurate load, what a difference it made, feels like a shooting a 308. Can not comment on velocity as I never tested that but it a pleasure to shoot now and is accurate with 180 accubonds.

I put a brake on my .300WM a few years ago. It calmed the recoil significantly, but the report makes the earth shake. It's still just pretty darn not fun to shoot because of that. It is a formidable hunting rifle, for sure, but I want to hunt with a rifle I also enjoy shooting - therefore, .308 and 7mm-08 are my go-to's. More the .308 actually.

In terms of recoil after the brake was installed, I'd say it feels comparable to a .270, not bad but it is incredibly loud.

+1 what Brian just stated. My brother shoots a 300 WM and then put a muzzle-break in it. When he shoots ... you had better be standing behind him, because the noise level will hurt your ears.
So, there are + and - to everything.

Why are you do dead set on getting a .300WM?

I got one for a really good deal, if I hate it I can always sell it. I live in Minnesota for a bit and there’s no public ranges or public land to shoot on. I’ll be moving to MT in a few weeks and that won’t be an issue

I got one for a really good deal, if I hate it I can always sell it. I live in Minnesota for a bit and there’s no public ranges or public land to shoot on. I’ll be moving to MT in a few weeks and that won’t be an issue

Hell yeah!! I had a limbsaver airtech pad on my 7 mag and it felt like shooting my .308

Last edited:

A lot depends on weight and stock. The 300 win mag is a great round, shoot it and see how you like it.

Can't express fully, just how much I love the performance of my .300 win mag.
Yes, it doesn't kill animals any better than an old 06 ' out to 400yrds or so. But move to 500-600yrds and it's an eye opener. Couple that with the velocity it can maintain with 200gr bullets and it leaves alot of cartridges in the wake.
It should be chambered in a good 9# plus rifle to tame recoil and keep muzzle rise down. But a brake on the barrel solves that too.
I have taken lots and lots of game with many cartridges and calibers. Quite a few black bear, hundreds of deer, and many animals over 500 yrds. during crop damage hunts especially.
The .300 averages close to 200 fps faster than the 30-06. Yes it has much more recoil too.
But when you need a bigger hammer to get the job done with less swings, you use it if you're able
I happen to not be a particularly big guy at 5'9", 210lb and I have become very efficient shooting my .300 win mag. With lots of practice.
I haven't really been bothered by the recoil most of the time. But I fell 60' off a roof some time back and wasn't able to handle even .243 for a year or so and even after practically a full recovery, my neck and shoulder just won't take long shooting sessions.
To be proficient with any rifle it takes practice.
I weighted my rifle stock with BBs, put a limb saver recoil pad on and was amazed. It did the trick for taming recoil to manageable levels.
As I get older my old injuries bother me more and more .
I just this past fall intalled a slip on muzzle brake.
Good God it is beyond loud. But added to the other improvements on the rifle, it is just a joy to shoot . With adiquit hearing protection obviously.

I’ve been hearing the .300 win mag is a tough gun to handle in terms in terms of recoil. Is this true? 30-06 doesn’t bother me at all, but I’m not sure how that compares. I’m a rookie when it comes to rifles so I’m just curious on the general thoughts.
I hear this a lot when I was looking for a new caliber for deer hunting a few years ago. Everyone told me to get a Remmington 700. They didn't tell me what caliber, so I decided on .308. I'm a big guy (6'5'' 285) and I didn't really feel the kick of that rifle and I wanted another rifle for elk hunting in the mountains. My uncle had a 270 BAR so I did some research and purchased a BAR in 300 Win Mag. I have had some troubles out of the box but sent the gun into browning for services (5 stars to Browning BTW) and they sent it back to me repaired and calibrated properly. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I have to say that I enjoy shooting 300 win mag. I don't notices and super recoil but I'm shooting 150 grains right now. That being said my 30-30 shoots 170 grains and it's nothing big kicking too me. I believe it matters on barrel weight and not creating shot anticipation. I like the fact that I have a one shot one kill capability. BTW would you rather have a 300 win mag or a 270/308 if you come across brown bears or Grizzlies? I don't let that get to my head. My uncle was wondering why I got a 300 win mag (he doesn't hunt elk, only pronghorn and deer) but until I become a seasoned hunter it suites me just fine. I am curious to know what a 7mm shoots like but not that worked up to make a switch. I can basically hunt anything with my 300 win mag in North America. Better to be over-gunned in a scenario than not have enough when you need it. There is a thing right now to sell a lot of 6.5 creedmore and 300 black-out. Go with what's true and has worked. I myself am looking to upgrade bullet quality. Buying a gun based on the cost of hunting bullets for an elk, moose, bear, or mountain goat shouldn't be a big concern. If it cost you $2.00/bullet to know that it's dependable, reliable, and the quality cost isn't thought to me. One last thing, look at terminal ballistics for calibers. 300 win mag is right up there with the rang of 150-230+ grain bullets for distance shooting and terminal impact for large North American game. 270 being a great long flat shooting bullet doesn't get to that 180/+ weight grain, especially out to longer distances. Everyone has their opinions. Real world happens and results of that 300 win mag speak for themselves. BTW, I also asked what people carry in Alaska before i purchased mine....yup 300 win mag. If your a bigger guy, your probably not going to notice the difference. I didnt...thank you for sharing. What you need to be concerned with is the gun manufacturer you go with. Lots of great choices out there. Id stick to Winchester or Browning. Im probably going to get an X-bolt or model 70 in 300 win mag in the near future.
I’ve been hearing the .300 win mag is a tough gun to handle in terms in terms of recoil. Is this true? 30-06 doesn’t bother me at all, but I’m not sure how that compares. I’m a rookie when it comes to rifles so I’m just curious on the general thoughts.

5-star service and john browning engineered basically every gun we have today. Get it straight from the original builder's platform. have a great day!

I had 2 of them, both Swith and Weson model 1500s and one everyone seemed to be able to shot it and the other one split my eye brow open 2 times and the felt recoil was 2 times or more.

I used a 300 for several years and loved it. As several have stated when firing at an animal I never felt it at all. I agree, Also not a good gun to start with.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back