Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

300 Win Mag passed the Walmart Test!

LaSportsman

Everyone knows ammo is tough to find right now. I can't find bulk online or decent prices on boxes so I set out for good ole Core Lokts or similar at a good price to plink metal and punch paper. $25/box for Remington and Winchester basic ammo.

Stock was relatively bare and struck out on .22 longs. They had .243, .270, .308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 win Mag - AND 6.5 CM. Yes, the last doesn't have much in common with the first part of the list but it's made it's way to a staple at Walmart in our area.

One day I'll reload but until then, nice to have cartridges that are available beyond a well stocked sporting goods store.

I've heard good things about Core Lokts, still never shot anything with them though. Since I handload I have a really hard time when I notice the horrible BCs, but they've probably killed more animals than you can imagine. Haha

Core Lokts are arguably the worst game bullet ever made that isn’t an FMJ. That said, they have probably killed more North American game than any bullet for a centerfire cartridge on the planet. Put it in the boiler room at a reasonable range with a proper cartridge choice for the game at hand, and anything but an FMJ will do just fine from a centerfire rifle cartridge.

I like other stuff for other reasons.

I have a. 243 and noticed a lot of places still have it.

Core Lokts are arguably the worst game bullet ever made that isn’t an FMJ. That said, they have probably killed more North American game than any bullet for a centerfire cartridge on the planet. Put it in the boiler room at a reasonable range with a proper cartridge choice for the game at hand, and anything but an FMJ will do just fine from a centerfire rifle cartridge.

I like other stuff for other reasons.
Out of curiosity, what makes Core Lokts arguably the worst game bullet?

I have shot prolly 200-300 out of a 308. I have experienced that core loks actually shot very cosistant groups even with different lot Numbers . !! Other cheap ammo seems to very quite a bit .
Good ole core lokts are always in the truck gun.

AND 6.5 CM. Yes, the last doesn't have much in common with the first part of the list but it's made it's way to a staple at Walmart in our area.
“Much in common” meaning steps ahead of the rest . 😄

Are you kidding Core Lokts are a excellent bullet for what I have seen of my Friends and Family using them and Myself before I started reloading my Centerfire ammo.
I headed to Colorado 3rd season and my friend reloads them in his 300 Win Mag because they group very well for him.
The only thing I did not like about them is there BC but for 99% of the time it does not matter.

Out of curiosity, what makes Core Lokts arguably the worst game bullet?

Heavy on the “arguably”. They are a relatively thin jacketed, non-bonded, soft point that over the years seems to have been produced with very little quality control. It’s not uncommon for the core to separate from the jacket(what happened to Lokt?). There have been many bullet designs since the Core Lokt came on the scene that hold up better over a broader range of impact velocities. There have been many that were designed to do the opposite(expand and fragment) that do so reliably over a broader range of impact velocities. In fact, even if you’re just looking for traditional cup and core soft point bullet performance, most other options are equally accurate or more accurate, and behave more consistently than a Core Lokt.

The number of animals they have racked up over the years is just proof that if you keep range short, use more than enough cartridge, and bullet weight for the animal, and make a good shot, almost anything will do the job just fine.

Last edited:
I'm partial to Nosler Accubond for hunting but I'm quite happy to shoot green box bullets at the range when I'm just plinking. Don't reload yet. Will get setup when I retire and my career quits requiring relocating every few years.

Joe Want (old time AK brown bear guide) always recommended CoreLokts to his hunters.
He probably hunted in blue jeans too.
What works isn’t the same as what works best. “Best” in bullets has advanced considerably since Corelokts were the most popular option.
To be fair I had a gun that loved Corelokts and grouped the best with them at the ranges I shoot. I killed several animals with them. I got tired of picking fragments from my meat and switched to a copper bullet.

I didn't see the Core-Lokt touted as "best". It isn't the best choice today. But, 40 years ago when I was 13 and killed my first bull with one, it was best. It's what my Grandfather used and what my Father bought us. Stuffed my 721 with 180's and killed stuff. Simpler times. mtmuley

40 years ago i was shooting 165gr Ballistic Tips in the form of Federal Premium out of the 06'.
Never shot twice.
Never had to track.

Back