.338 Win Mag Ammo??

For somebody who has reloaded before, it always sounds simple. I have 6 different rifle calibers and probably 10 pistol calibers. Even of I restrict myself to the rifle calibers, it is a ton of upfront time investment. And a ton of costly mistakes with ammo burned up. Sounds easier than in reality it is.
The time you pissed away on this thread alone, whining, would have been time enough to come up with a couple loads for your .338.

The .338 is really easy to load for...I'd bet a lot of coin I could have a load developed with 4350 or 4831 in a couple hours time.

Lazy is expensive.

Anybody seeing factory ammo prices & availability for the .338 win mag easing up. May be interested in trying to find Federal Premium for less than $80-200 a box.
What type of .338 are you looking for? I've got a few hundred rounds of different types (Swift A Frame, Nosler Partition, other various types). Might be able to ship some to you if you are interested.

What type of .338 are you looking for? I've got a few hundred rounds of different types (Swift A Frame, Nosler Partition, other various types). Might be able to ship some to you if you are interested.
Thanks but not ready for that. Ive bought 6 different kinds of factory ammo late last year for my new-to-me Browning BAR with a new scoop on it. Don't know what bullet type or brand shoots best in it yet. Waiting for a calm day to go try them out. I actually have a friend of mine that is an FFL reloader that can get it done for me once I find the right bullet type. I'll keep ya in mind. Ive always had the best luck in 4 of my rifles (.30-06, .25-06, and two 7mm Rem Mag) with Federal Premium ammo. None of these rifles likes Hornady ammo. Saw the Federal Prem on Federal's website, but gouge my eyeballs out. $105 a box????

The time you pissed away on this thread alone, whining, would have been time enough to come up with a couple loads for your .338.

The .338 is really easy to load for...I'd bet a lot of coin I could have a load developed with 4350 or 4831 in a couple hours time.

Lazy is expensive.
You're entitled to your opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion.
Here's something that isn't an opinion, I can grab 100 hand loaded .338 rounds with a 10 second walk to my garage.

I didn't pay $80/100 for them either.

IMG_10142.jpeg

I’m about to go test out a couple charge weights with 225 Accubonds and H4831SC in the .338 win mag that I am 100% sure will make a great hunting load. Straight out of the Nosler book. I also just tried a new load for the .30-06 to use up a bunch of RL16 I have. Took a ladder test of about 20 rounds to get the velocity I want and they all shot well. You can go way down the rabbit hole if you want, but loading great hunting ammo is pretty simple.

@Cornbread

Federal has used a lot of different bullets over the years in their Premium line.

Nosler Ballistic Tips, Partitions, and others.

So you need to identify the bullet that you're looking for.

So, $80-105 a box of 20, eh?

Try shooting Weatherby Magnums and let me know what you think about the cost.

But i reload.

So... 7mm Weatherby Magnum

Brass.
Box of 50 Peterson cases. $106.50.
That's 2.13 each or $42.60 for 20.
IF i only loaded them one time each. I've taken 20 out of the box and have 4 reloads on them.
So, 42.60÷4=$10.65 for 20 or 53¢ each.
The more times you reload them the cheaper it is because you're not buying new brass each time.

Primers.
I buy from a local distributor/wholesaler. I paid $78.25 for a box of 1,000 Federal large rifle magnum. Roughly 8¢ each.

Powder.
Same distributor, 1# of IMR 7828 is $53.71.
7,000gr to the pound. 68gr per cartridge. ¢52 per cartridge.

Bullets.
Again, same distributor.
Ballistic Tips 150gr. $28.05 for 50.
Partitions 150gr. $57.80 for 50.
So even the Partition is running at roughly $1.16 each.

So, my 4th reload costs .53 + .08 + .52 + 1.16 = $2.29 per round or $45.80 for 20.
That's with the Partition.
Local shop has Weatherby brand ammo with the 154gr Hornady Interlock on sale for $65.95.
Another shop has the Weatherby brand with the Nosler Partition for $113.65.

The other thing (things) you need to consider.
1) ammo is taylored to my rifle.
2) when you can't find the factory ammo your gun likes, i can walk downstairs and get mine. Or spend an hour and make more.
3) satisfaction of getting a deer/elk/moose/bear or shooting that tight group with ammo YOU made is priceless!!

Lots of people complain about the cost of getting the press and tools to get started.
Look at it more as an investment than a cost.
You buy a circular saw for a project.
Realistically, how often are you going to use that circular saw?

Plus if you have kids/grand kids, it's something that you can pass down, just like hunting.

Last edited:
@Cornbread

Federal has used a lot of different bullets over the years in their Premium line.

But i reload.

Brass.
IF i only loaded them one time each. I've taken 20 out of the box and have 4 reloads on them.
The more times you reload them the cheaper it is because you're not buying new brass each time.

Primers.
I buy from a local distributor/wholesaler. I paid $78.25 for a box of 1,000 Federal large rifle magnum. Roughly 8¢ each.

Powder.

Bullets.
Again, same distributor.

So, my 4th reload costs .53 + .08 + .52 + 1.16 = $2.29 per round or $45.80 for 20.
Local shop has Weatherby brand ammo with the 154gr Hornady Interlock on sale for $65.95.

2) when you can't find the factory ammo your gun likes, i can walk downstairs and get mine. Or spend an hour and make more.
3) satisfaction of getting a deer/elk/moose/bear or shooting that tight group with ammo YOU made is priceless!!

Lots of people complain about the cost of getting the press and tools to get started.

Plus if you have kids/grand kids, it's something that you can pass down, just like hunting.
Appreciate you comments. Don't disagree. It comes down to not wanting to put the time, and having the mental concentration (at nearly 70) and perseverance. I've lost my edge, quite frankly. I'm all for the free markets, however I just see the market place has changed dramatically since Covid. Thanks

Appreciate you comments. Don't disagree. It comes down to not wanting to put the time, and having the mental concentration (at nearly 70) and perseverance. I've lost my edge, quite frankly. I'm all for the free markets, however I just see the market place has changed dramatically since Covid. Thanks
Yeah, if i had only one or two cartridges, i'd probably buy factory ammo.
But 5 pistol cartridges and 15 different rifle cartridges, buying factory ammo is out of the question.
Not to mention the obscure cartridges i have.

Haven't seen much in the way of 250 Savage loaded up with 115gr Berger VLD.

@Cornbread

But i reload.

Brass.

Primers.

Powder.

Bullets.
Again, same distributor.

Let me ask question. Your out practing how to take elk in the wind and so far you haven't killed elk not sure about other animals you listed. I shoot custom 270Wby. Your worst than little kid bragging.

In case you change your mind, here is the .338 WinMag ammo that I am selling -

SWIFT – 250 grain A Frame – 114 rounds - $80/box

REMINGTON SAFARI GRADE – 225 grain Swift A Frame – 60 rounds - $80/box

FEDERAL PREMIUM – 250 grain Nosler Partition – 20 rounds - $60

FEDERAL PREMIUM – 210 Nosler Partition – 18 rounds - $54

BARNES VOR-TX – 225 grain Tipped TSX BT – 20 rounds - $60

REMINGTON – 250 grain Core-Lokt – 60 rounds - $55/box

HORNADY SUPERPERFORMANCE – 225 grain SST – 20 rounds - $55

HORNADY SUPERPERFORMANCE – 200 grain SST – 52 rounds - $50/box

Also have 129 rounds of brass if any of you .338 WinMag reloaders are looking for any.

Michael (mdhunter61)

What brand of brass and what do you need for them?
It's assorted brass from the factory ammo that I listed for sale; 20 rounds are from custom handloads from Pendleton that I had loaded for my rifle.

Will sell for $90 plus UPS ground shipping cost.

In case you change your mind, here is the .338 WinMag ammo that I am selling -

SWIFT – 250 grain A Frame – 114 rounds - $80/box

REMINGTON SAFARI GRADE – 225 grain Swift A Frame – 60 rounds - $80/box

FEDERAL PREMIUM – 250 grain Nosler Partition – 20 rounds - $60

FEDERAL PREMIUM – 210 Nosler Partition – 18 rounds - $54

BARNES VOR-TX – 225 grain Tipped TSX BT – 20 rounds - $60

REMINGTON – 250 grain Core-Lokt – 60 rounds - $55/box

HORNADY SUPERPERFORMANCE – 225 grain SST – 20 rounds - $55

HORNADY SUPERPERFORMANCE – 200 grain SST – 52 rounds - $50/box

Also have 129 rounds of brass if any of you .338 WinMag reloaders are looking for any.

Michael (mdhunter61)
Sending you a pm.

Shot my .338 for the first time on Saturday. Actually, my nephew was the one who shot it. We were just trying to get it out the page, having put a new scope on the rifle. I only brought 4 cartridges along. 10 hour drive, phew. We got it within 4" at 50 yards. It really didn't kick too bad. My nephew said the 7mm BLR kicked significantly more.

Last edited:
I’m about to go test out a couple charge weights with 225 Accubonds and H4831SC in the .338 win mag that I am 100% sure will make a great hunting load. Straight out of the Nosler book. I also just tried a new load for the .30-06 to use up a bunch of RL16 I have. Took a ladder test of about 20 rounds to get the velocity I want and they all shot well. You can go way down the rabbit hole if you want, but loading great hunting ammo is pretty simple.
Have you checked prices on RL-16? 75.00/# isn’t surplus 4831…

Have you checked prices on RL-16? 75.00/# isn’t surplus 4831…
I bought 8 pounds of it back in 2020 for a good price. I like it a lot, but it’ll be back to H4350 when I burn it up. They’re almost interchangeable in my loads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back